Dogs eating poop!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 pm

I doubt it has to do with dominance, but maybe something is different between the male and female poop(hormones, different digestion rates between male/female, mabye they eat different foods or treats, what ever??)
This comes up on here all the time, if you do a serach you will find hours worth of reading about it more then likely
Here is the last thread, about a week ago about poop eating.
It is so common it has it's own a term so you can do a search on that too?
'Coprophagia' is the word used for poop eating.

NueBlue
Newborn Bully

Postby NueBlue » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:14 pm

I too have the same issues with two of my females, different breeds also. Funny thing is she will only do this behavior while the other is doing you knwo what. Once it has hit the ground no interest.

ihave just learn to watch them and when she shows the interest, i get her attention so she doesnt see the other dog doing her bussiness.

sorry to be so graffic.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:33 am

I've never heard of it in terms of dominance. My male eats his own and both of my females'. Any poop, any time.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 am

I have heard of dogs eating poop due to anxiety issues. It's possible that's what is going on.. though I don't know that it would explain him selectively eating one dogs poop and not another's. You say he would like to be dominant, but is too old; so I'm sure this is causing some anxiety.

When one of my mom's dogs started beating up the other one, the submissive one that was being beaten up started eating his own poop. Now that things have calmed down he doesn't do it as much. While it was going on we just had to be diligent and pick up the poop all the time.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 pm

We had a horrific poop eater, his, the cats, any livestock, other dogs, mine yours he even fished an unflushable out of the toilet once. They sell a product called Deter at pet stores, i'm not too sure how well it works but i've heard good things, it works by making the other dogs droppings very unappealing to the offending poo eater, if i remember correctly it's a once a day thing that goes with the dog's food. What i've heard from people who have used it is that once they try it a few times they usually give up on poo eating, some don't but most loose their taste for it real quick. Outside of that your best bet is to keep the other dogs poo picked up and watch him when he is outside.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:24 am

pblove wrote:This comes up on here all the time, if you do a serach you will find hours worth of reading about it more then likely
Here is the last thread, about a week ago about poop eating.
:op: who might that have been?? :op:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:39 am

valantine wrote:, BUT yesterday I picked it up, left the bag on the railing and when I went out that nite, the bag was drifting around the yard empty, its getting bad!
!

lol
I am laughing because I have had the same thing happen here.
My dog ONLY eats poop if it is frozen though- (poopsicles)
I got up last week and saw a plastic bag floating around the yard, then remembered I had used it to pick up some frozen pop the night before and left it on the deck railing.

Return to “Health Issues”