Cooper is hurt

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SupriseInside
Bully Ambassador

Postby SupriseInside » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:15 pm

Thanks guys, for understanding.

Shadowsmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Shadowsmom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:20 pm

Sending hugs your way! And I am hoping everything turns out great for you guys :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Do you mind if I ask what you were using for wormer?
I am glad his leg will be okay!
Think positive...50% cure is not bad odds...

SupriseInside
Bully Ambassador

Postby SupriseInside » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Its called Safe-Guard Dog Wormer.

SupriseInside
Bully Ambassador

Postby SupriseInside » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:35 pm

The full heartworm treatment is 93% effective, and we're going to do that as soon as we can get the money together... hopefully only a few months.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 pm

SupriseInside wrote:Its called Safe-Guard Dog Wormer.

Yeah...that wouldn't do much :( I am sorry.
I hope he's better soon!

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:06 pm

Sending Cooper lots of healthy thoughts that he heals quickly.

ams036
Adolescent Bully

Postby ams036 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 pm

I am sorry to hear that he has heartworm. Don't beat yourself up about it, things happen, we all live and learn. I wish Cooper the best in his recovery!

porchcricket13
Super Bully

Postby porchcricket13 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:28 pm

I am so sorry to hear that, i hope that the temporary treatment gets him well enough to wait for the other treatment. As far as his leg is concerned, I tend to forget that people in other parts of the country/world have snakes that can cause that much harm...all we have here are garter snakes. I'm glad it's not broken though, those little bones are hard to heal. Sending healing vibes his way, and big hugs to mom :hug:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:30 pm

ah jeeze,
mabye it is a good thing that he got the snake bite, if not, you wouldn't have found out about him being HW positvie till later on and you might have lost him by then??
NO ONE wants their dogs hurt or sick and we all mess up here and there.
Get well Cooper.

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and Cooper!!

SupriseInside
Bully Ambassador

Postby SupriseInside » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks agian guys. I cried at the vet office. I hate crying in public. But Cooper is my BEST friend. He's been with me through everything and he's never let me down. He's been with me before the baby came, before Jonathan and I got together. He was by my side when I was messed up on drugs and he was by myside getting off them. I just feel like I let him down.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm

At least you found out before he started having clinical signs of the heartworms. I think more often than not heartworm positive dogs show up because people just don't know what they should be doing to prevent it. I could not blame you because you thought you were doing what was right. It is good that you caught it now, and even better that you are having the treatment done soon. I have seen many, many dogs recover just fine from heartworm treatment. The only ones I have seen with problems were not healthy to begin with - the worms had already started to make them sick.

TigerLady
Adolescent Bully

Postby TigerLady » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 pm

pblove wrote:make sure you tell the vet about the cat incident, my guess is he got a small puncture from the cat and it is now abscessing
cat scratch fever can be fatal in humans, don't know if dogs get that too, but it is a very seriosu illness form cats too
(since it is his front leg, that is very possible the kitty made punctures or srtaches and you have mised them)
Hoping for the best for Cooper

Yes, cat scratch fever can be very deadly in humans. I had it not long ago and it made me very, very ill for many, many months. It has permanently damaged my optic nerve as well.

I do not think that other animals can get cat scratch disease, but I do know that they can get infections from cat bites.

I hope Cooper is feeling better very soon!

~Tiger

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 pm

:hug: It'll be ok. Heartworms are scary but they can be gotten rid of. He's a bully right? Bullies are tough nuts, he'll be just fine, at least you caught it before it caused him to become ill. As for you... Don't beat yourself up, i know the hardest thing in the world is to forgive yourself in a situation like this but you've done nothing wrong, You're doing something right by getting him treated for it.
And Cooper, next time you see a snake say thank you and avoid putting your feet within biting distance.
:hug: hugs for both of you, We're here for you.

Return to “Health Issues”