Roxxi Update

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
NJFyneztWhiteBoy
Newborn Bully

Roxxi Update

Postby NJFyneztWhiteBoy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 am

Sorry I have been away for a while and not keeping anyone posted been super busy with work...but I have had time to take her to another vet a few towns over and done some research...and hip dysplasia is not the case at all...but she is COW HOCKED...I have done some research and basically it is exactly what you saw in earlier pictures of her...the back legs turned out knees pointed towards each other almost touching...and semi-weak legs...its a 50/50 thing, sometimes they grow out of it and sometimes they do not I have been giving her a glucosamine supplement reccomended but not prescribed by the vet...I spent $320 on check up and x-rays so he was nice enough to recomend a good glucosamine used for humans that I got for around $17.00..instead of buying the exact same thing except the "dog version" that would have costed me $52.00...So i am releived to say it is not hip dysplasia...but am upset to say it is an entirley different set of problems...I am optimistic that with proper nutrition and excercise and NO slippery floors, stairs, or over the top excersize she will pull through and hopefully grow out of it...Thank You in advance for any responses in case I dont have a chance to check back in a few days...
- Chris & Roxxi

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 am

Is that what the vet said? It's really a secondary condition due to misalignment of, for instance, the knee joints, or loose ligaments, etc.
What did the vet say? Just give her supplements?

NJFyneztWhiteBoy
Newborn Bully

Postby NJFyneztWhiteBoy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 am

Basically what he told me what it was from malnoruishment in the very early stages of development (f***in backyard breeder!) Most likely because she was the runt and probably got push around and was neglected of food by the other pups. And that at this point all we can really do it properly feed her give her supplements and do some research...And I have found that having her walk up a slight incline a couple of time for about 15 minutes a day is seeming to help a bit...and she was running around and chasing and barking up a storm after the vacuum...she is a persistant little pup and from the reasearch I've done cow hocked puppies don't expeirience any pain from the condition..but are at a higher risk for hip dysplasia and other leg problems later on in life so really all I can do is sit, pray and hope that everything works out for the best...

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:32 am

i would seriously use the NJ Puppy lemon law for the breeder.. you can keep roxie and have the breeder pay for her vet bills... its worth the effort..

also, dont skimp out on cheap glucosomine.. the better quality the better for her... try Liquid Health 5000 for dogs, i use it on my gsd who has had HD for almost 8 years, the stuff works wonders, and at $42 for a 32 oz bottle its well worth it and lasts a long time....

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:46 am

Maryellen wrote:also, dont skimp out on cheap glucosomine.. the better quality the better for her... try Liquid Health 5000 for dogs, i use it on my gsd who has had HD for almost 8 years, the stuff works wonders, and at $42 for a 32 oz bottle its well worth it and lasts a long time....

Definitely. A lot of the cheap stuff has not actually been evaluated to tell if it even has the levels of glucosamine in it that it claims. (This goes for the human products as well!)

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:41 pm

Since her cow hocking is so extreme I would keep her exercise in mind. Not that you shouldn't exercise her, but just don't over do it. Especially now when she is developing. I have seen some good success in pups with malnourishment related bone issues, usually due to proper nutrition, supplementation, and conscientious exercise.

Did the vet recommend anything nutritionally?

Can we see some new cute picks of your growing girl?

Return to “Health Issues”