Grrrrrr. Tail woes. Again.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
heartbullies

Grrrrrr. Tail woes. Again.

Postby heartbullies » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Last February, heartbullies spent about $1400 on Booker's tail.

Specifically, on the first-ever bout of happy tail her dog had ever had. It ended with a late-night trip to the emergency vet, blood all over the house and car, getting pulled over by a deputy, and emergency amputation.

So Booker got his "Vizsla dock." Fine.

There have been zero problems since it healed up. No happy tail before last February. No happy tail since last February. It's an unattractive look, but it was medically necessary.

Now heartbullies is about ready to scream. Two days ago she noticed that he was chewing on the tail and that the fur had been chewed off and broken, and there was some irritation. She put a cone on him when he was unattended, cleaned the area, kept it open, put some anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial stuff on it 2x per day, and crossed her fingers.

Stupid stupid girl goes to get coffee and a scone today and forgets to put the cone on Booker. Returns home, and oh! Lo! Now the tail is wet with spit and there is a bloody scab!

Anyway. I put Nu-Stock on it and he is now en-coned and completely miserable. I might also give him cephalexin because I really do NOT want another infected necrotic surgical mess.

I am going to get some flea product, too, I guess Frontline. I am wondering if maybe he also got a flea bite while visiting some friends. He reacts really strongly to flea bites, and so perhaps that instigated the chewing and biting and self-destruction process.

I am just mostly really frustrated and upset that this has come up again and that I forgot to put the cone on him for the 30 minutes I left him this morning. He had a peanut butter Kong but I suppose it's more fun to destroy his tail. Grr. I hope this gets healed up well/rapidly. It's astonishing how QUICKLY the tail can go from perfectly fine to totally screwed, I guess it's because it doesn't get good circulation?

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:34 pm

would a beer help with the frustration? :beer:
I'm sorry, I have no experience with this one. :(

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:50 pm

Does he like Bitter Apple?

I'm so sorry!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:27 pm

No Booker – leave the half-tail alone! I hope this clears up without any further complications!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Me too. I've taken him and M on 4 walks today and given them Kongs and en-coned him when I went to the doctor's and he's coming to class tonight, hopefully tomorrow morning I can run him ragged before I have to go to work (and he'll be cone-ified).

He is SO pissyfaced with the cone on. I don't blame him, the cone got stored still rolled up so it got kind of flat so now it's not really a cone, more like a lopsided funnel, very undignified and probably not the most mentally comfortable thing either. But I don't want to do any more emergency tail loss and Booker has proved he is terrible at self-surgery.

Yes, I think a beer, or perhaps a pina colada would help, one with a little umbrella stuck in it and a flamingo swizzle stick, on a private, fenced, Booker-only beach in a warm, sunny place.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Bad Booker!!!!!! Leave that tail alone.

Mysti feels you on the pain of the Visla look, but self-mutilation is NOT the answer!

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Mines currently coned as well for different reasons however. And he's miserable, so I understand completely.

Tell him to leave his tail alone, and he'd be much happier! lol

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Sounds like you have all bases covered!

I am hoping that what ever is causes Booker's "self-surgery" passes, and his tail along with your sanity are salvaged.

kleckners
Newborn Bully

Postby kleckners » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Gosh that whole thing sounds like a terrible thing to go threw!

My girl has happy tail right now and it is becoming imposible to get it to heal. It doesn't seam as bad of a situation as what yours was/is, but I'm just beside myself in trying to make it better, and not getting rid of her tail!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 pm

Oh how frustrating for you. Tiva used to get horrible hot spots on the base of her tail. Then she got tail cancer (well, a mast cell tumor in her tail that was grade 2), so she had to have her tail amputated. This also cured the durn hot spots. It never occurred to me that a dog might start gnawing at the stub...poor you. (Don't give Tiva any ideas).

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:56 am

Yeah, Booker's got his internet and phone privileges revoked for the attempted self-surgery so hopefully he won't be telling Tiva any "at home surgery tips."

The cone is actually doubly helpful because he's unhappy with it on, thus he's not very waggy so his tail doesn't get re-injured, plus in the more traditional way, it prevents him from doing any more DIY amputation attempts.

It looks okay now, I'm just going to keep up with the cone and the Nu Stock and make sure it doesn't get infected. I am really lucky he hasn't yet gotten hot spots or lick granulomas (sp?) because I know it would seriously be a HARD uphill and long-term battle with him.

The bitter apple, and another nasty spray I tried, just makes him make faces while he "cleans" the nasty substance off of himself. "Ew, this tastes bad, I better get it all off of me. Ew. [lick] Ew. [lick] Ew. [lick] Ew. [lick]"

I hope this doesn't become our annual February/March tradition, is it "National Amateur Tail-docking Month" or something?

racheroonie
Newborn Bully

Postby racheroonie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:36 am

Now I'm a little worried if my pup sometimes playing and chewing his tail would lead to this in the future

kteam
Newborn Bully

Postby kteam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:59 pm

I feel your pain, right now Kingsley has a new satalite dish, the very tip of his tail is injured, and he has learned if he sits on his tail so that its coming foward between his leg he can just reach it and take the bandage off. too smart for his own good, at least his tail's own good :frown:

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Yes, that's why Booker's cone collar has "extras" on it, from last year when I was still trying to save the tapering tail tip, well, before it got amputated...

My friend and I took plastic transparency sheets (like for slide projectors) and duct taped them around the cone, fanning out. It provides a layer protecting the tail tip but is somewhat flexible so that if the dog runs into you or the wall it's not as traumatic.

kteam
Newborn Bully

Postby kteam » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:16 pm

i'll have to try that when i get home. my legs, walls, tables will thank me.
i dont know if kimmie thinks the cone is trying to eat kingsley or what but every now and then she will try to attack it. kinda like a boxer, a quick jab and step back, so of course now the cone has doggy hole punches in it. she does the same thing with the lawnmower.

Return to “Health Issues”