Button's getting neutered

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BabyReba

Button's getting neutered

Postby BabyReba » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:12 am

Today is Button's neuter and eye surgery.

Please think good thoughts for the little guy. He was not happy at all to be back at the vet again, and he tried to hide under a chair when we tried to lead him into the back with the vet tech.

Poor puppy. I feel bad for him--he's not the most confident puppy, so it sucks to know that he's got to be someplace he doesn't like all day long.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:20 am

I'll be thinking of him...keep in mind that each "traumatic" event that they go through, and survive, that builds their confidence in, if nothing else, you, when you come back to get them.
For timid foster dogs, this is an incredible event, I've found, over the past few years. And it doesn't harm them as much as you'd think.

Each time they build a new trust bridge, they learn to trust faster in the future.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 am

msvette2u wrote:I'll be thinking of him...keep in mind that each "traumatic" event that they go through, and survive, that builds their confidence in, if nothing else, you, when you come back to get them.
For timid foster dogs, this is an incredible event, I've found, over the past few years. And it doesn't harm them as much as you'd think.

Each time they build a new trust bridge, they learn to trust faster in the future.

thanks, yvette. thinking of it in those terms helps a lot! i do think it's good for him to get out and spend time with people without having me to rely on, so hopefully this will indeed turn out to be a positive experience for him in the long run!

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:31 am

Sending good thoughts to baby Button.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:19 am

julie64 wrote:Sending good thoughts to baby Button.

x2

CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby CinderDee » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:25 am

Good thoughts to Button!

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am

Good thoughts to you and Button!!!

I love Button!!

Courtney

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:59 am

Hope it ALL goes like clockwork and he's back to silly puppyness in no time. :thumbsup:

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:36 pm

surgeries are over and he's in recovery! he's doing well, so he'll get to come home tonight . . . we'll follow up with some pain meds for a bit and hopefully he'll be back to himself quickly!

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:09 pm

That's great news!!! Glad to hear that Button us A-OK!

Courtney

CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby CinderDee » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Great news!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Good luck baby Button!

Erin, please don't get upset with me for asking, but why is he getting fixed so young? It is because you want him to be prepared if he gets adopted soon?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:17 pm

partly. i don't plan on keeping him here forever, and i do want him to be ready when the time comes. and i'm hoping it won't be months and months from now.

but more importantly, he needed to get his eye fixed badly, before it got any worse. i wanted to get both surgeries done at the same time to save some money on the surgeries (not paying for two rounds of anesthetic, two rounds of pain meds, two rounds of hospitalization) and also just so he doesn't have to be put under anesthesia twice. every time you put an animal (or a person) under, there are risks . . . so i figured i'd rather do a neuter at 18 weeks old than have to make him have two surgeries at a young age.

i don't really like the idea of neutering super-early, but in the case of dog rescue, you kinda have to do what you have to do, you know?

he's home now, looking pretty doped up, but he's doing ok.

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Poor Button! :( All doped up.

How's the eye look? Did that surgery go well?

Courtney

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:53 pm

i think both surgeries went ok . . . his eye looks pretty much like normal now, just a bit red around the white parts. if you didn't know he had surgery, you probably wouldn't even know that he had ever had cherry eye.

Return to “Health Issues”