PARVO-get your vaccinations!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

PARVO-get your vaccinations!

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Hello everyone!! The thaw up here is huge , poo is everywhere
parks, pet stores.. your shoes..

PARVO is live and very active.. I am hearing of ALOT of cases in pounds, and IN PUBLIC!!!

GET YOUR VACCINES UPDATED..this is a cheap shot! and the virus is deadly and costly to treat.

http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:41 pm

I like Jefferspet - we used them last time we bought vax and I have to say, their S&H is one of the cheapest around.
I mean you can get inexpensive vax but the S&H is the killer since it has to be shipped overnight or 2nd day.

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:48 pm

You just reminded me to call my vet for the dogs yearly checkup.. and they are due for parvo shots and HW testing!

Thanks!!

The Dukes dad
Newborn Bully

Postby The Dukes dad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Just saw that my local Tractor Supply carries vaccines and boosters for dogs and cats. Can get all you need right over the counter without the vet bill just for giving a shot! I'll be giving my own this year.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:18 pm

The Dukes dad wrote:Just saw that my local Tractor Supply carries vaccines and boosters for dogs and cats. Can get all you need right over the counter without the vet bill just for giving a shot! I'll be giving my own this year.

Just be SURE they are in a good refigerator, my old Tractor Supply had a crappy refrigerator and the door never was shut tight.

The vaccines are "live" and are temperture sensitive.

:thumbsup:

They are VERY easy to give tho you are right.

Just mix the solutions together via the needle and syringe,

Hold up the nap of the neck, like in a little tent , scratch the skin a bit to numb it and see where you are heading, and insert needle. Plunge entire solution under the skin, you do not have to do inter-musclar, the shot is sub-q (under the skin layers) and absorbed.
Be careful not to poke out the other side of your skin tent.
Ta da!
It helps to have a person hold the dog sideways into them , dont try to hold the dog face in..they can buck.

Most dogs dont really feel it, but dont like to be held.. so that 2nd person can tap their shoulder (like some dentists do when you get a shot) or something to distract the dog.

:thumbsup:

hugh_dog
Newborn Bully

Postby hugh_dog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:23 pm

The Dukes dad wrote:Just saw that my local Tractor Supply carries vaccines and boosters for dogs and cats. Can get all you need right over the counter without the vet bill just for giving a shot! I'll be giving my own this year.

May as well get the shot while the dog is getting it's annual exam and bloodwork done instead of making an appointment just for vaccines.

I can only imagine the looks on the face of the people at my local tractor supply store if I asked them to run a general diagnostic profile on Hughes, as well as run a 3DX(heartworm/lyme/erlichia) and I'm sure he'd wonder why the guy with the John Deere hat was trying to palpate his abdomen. lol

I dofeel bad for the dogs that come into the clinic after it's too late, requiring more drastic treatments for afflictions than what would have been required had it been caught a year or two earlier during their annual exam
:frown:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 pm

hugh_dog wrote:

May as well get the shot while the dog is getting it's annual exam and bloodwork done instead of making an appointment just for vaccines.

I can only imagine the looks on the face of the people at my local tractor supply store if I asked them to run a general diagnostic profile on Hughes, as well as run a 3DX(heartworm/lyme/erlichia) and I'm sure he'd wonder why the guy with the John Deere hat was trying to palpate his abdomen. lol

I dofeel bad for the dogs that come into the clinic after it's too late, requiring more drastic treatments for afflictions than what would have been required had it been caught a year or two earlier during their annual exam
:frown:

Yes it is easy to add it to the yearly stuff. But so many people lately can not afford or wont budget in doggys yearlys, and this is an easy cheap vaccination that can save many young dogs lifes. (or compromised health dogs too..adult dogs CAN get parvo)

Shoot this week alone I have heard of a litter and house hold of 11 (dont ask..the whole story sucks) , the litters of puppies are all pooping blood...
and I can only imagine how many more will be sent out sick and these idiots wont even know what it is..... .
And we are seeing a influx of sick dogs being dumped into the pounds..

Why vetinarian visits are soo damn necessary, many of these dogs are suffering and dying over people just not knowing there are alternatives.

its sad.
damn sad...

hugh_dog
Newborn Bully

Postby hugh_dog » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:42 pm

I hear ya luvnstuff. The only thing I worry about is people thinking they can skip the vet altogether and not realize the value in having base line blood levels and realizing the value of yearly checkups. A lot can happen in a dog in 365 days.

I agree about the parvo vaccine though. Thankfully we've been able to pull the 5 we saw through this past year. The sad part is only two out of the three owners we saw grasped the severity of the situation, and odds are, the latter three will only see the vet again if they get sick with something else.

What makes me mad is people that complain about the cost of vet care, yet have a big screen tv, cable/satellite, and a new car with a bumpin system to show that they don't know how to eq a stereo for chocolate.

Guess they fall into the "won't" budget the dogs yearly's category.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 pm

I know that - we've taken into rescue a few dogs that had drastic health issues (one required euthanasia) because all they saw was a vaccine clinic 1x a year.
I'd rather people took their dogs in and ran bloodwork too, but if they don't do that, at least get the vax from the feed store...at the very least :(

Another thing that people in at risk areas need to do is get their dogs on HW meds, even if a bottle of 1% ivermectin from the feed store.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Here in SoCal my vet has had dozens of Parvo cases in the last few months. And seeing as how pit bulls are especially prone to Parvo I'm being extra careful. He has some structural defects, flat feet and cow hocks, and the vet wants to wait until he has his last shot before she has him running all over the clinic and parking lot to check him out. Apparently it's pretty bad this year! Be careful!!

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:05 am

People still need to be careful even if your dog is vaccinated because some strains of Parvo, vaccinated dogs can still get. When Gracie was 6 months old, she had, had all her shots yet she still got Parvo. And then River got Parvo during the really bad outbreak of it in early 2007 where vaccinated dogs were still getting it. River had, had two sets of vaccinations and he was around 3 month old.

Also, Thanks for the information!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:09 am

Also, if you have a puppy, be really careful where you take them until they have all their shots. Don't take them somewhere like Petsmart where there are lots of dogs until they are fully vaccinated.
Jen

The Dukes dad
Newborn Bully

Postby The Dukes dad » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:21 am

Duke deffinately won't be missing any vet appointments, he's my buddy. However the vet won't be adding $60 to the tab for shots that I can give for little more than $5 each.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:44 am

mcrslipknota7x wrote:River had, had two sets of vaccinations and he was around 3 month old.

That's the thing,
Until you've had the ENTIRE set of (parvo)vaccinations, the shots mean nothing and protect against nothing. The immunity isn't built up until the completion of the shots. Actually, it's about 2 weeks after the last shot that you are generally safe.

3 months and 2 shots is not a vaccinated dog and is just as susceptable to the virus as a dog that hasn't had any shots.

There are too many people that think their dogs are safe because they've had 1 or 2 parvo vacc's. It's not true at all. :(

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:12 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:
mcrslipknota7x wrote:River had, had two sets of vaccinations and he was around 3 month old.

That's the thing,
Until you've had the ENTIRE set of (parvo)vaccinations, the shots mean nothing and protect against nothing. The immunity isn't built up until the completion of the shots. Actually, it's about 2 weeks after the last shot that you are generally safe.

3 months and 2 shots is not a vaccinated dog and is just as susceptable to the virus as a dog that hasn't had any shots.

There are too many people that think their dogs are safe because they've had 1 or 2 parvo vacc's. It's not true at all. :(

Thanks for saying this. This is SOO true!!

Its sad, about not going to the vet for just regular appts, and lil problems.

People balk at Jacks surgery which really wasnt THAT much with blood work, surgery, biospy, patholgy of that lab only 250.00
But I tell people,
well he is 11 years old and if I divided that and his vet bills over the past years, he really hasnt cost me that much.

oh another ps
If you DO vaccinate at home, take the labels off the bottle, put it in your records and make a copy for your vet records too.

Return to “Health Issues”