PARVO-get your vaccinations!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:11 am

BrokenAquarian wrote:
mcrslipknota7x wrote:River had, had two sets of vaccinations and he was around 3 month old.

That's the thing,
Until you've had the ENTIRE set of (parvo)vaccinations, the shots mean nothing and protect against nothing. The immunity isn't built up until the completion of the shots. Actually, it's about 2 weeks after the last shot that you are generally safe.

3 months and 2 shots is not a vaccinated dog and is just as susceptable to the virus as a dog that hasn't had any shots.

There are too many people that think their dogs are safe because they've had 1 or 2 parvo vacc's. It's not true at all. :(

You know what sucks? He got parvo a day or two before he was going to get his 3rd vaccination! I guess he was more close to 9 weeks than 12 weeks. He was such a little guy when he got it. Parvo is so scary!

racheroonie
Newborn Bully

Postby racheroonie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the reminder!
My friend's puppy actually got parvo. He was just very tired one day and when he looked inside his puppy's mouth it was ALL WHITE like a paper. Very scary! thankfully, amazingly, the puppy pulled through.

My lil one is on his first set of 3 right now. Can't wait to complete it!

GreenEyedBully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GreenEyedBully » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:58 pm

luvnstuff wrote:
BrokenAquarian wrote:
mcrslipknota7x wrote:River had, had two sets of vaccinations and he was around 3 month old.

That's the thing,
Until you've had the ENTIRE set of (parvo)vaccinations, the shots mean nothing and protect against nothing. The immunity isn't built up until the completion of the shots. Actually, it's about 2 weeks after the last shot that you are generally safe.

3 months and 2 shots is not a vaccinated dog and is just as susceptable to the virus as a dog that hasn't had any shots.

There are too many people that think their dogs are safe because they've had 1 or 2 parvo vacc's. It's not true at all. :(

Thanks for saying this. This is SOO true!!

Its sad, about not going to the vet for just regular appts, and lil problems.

People balk at Jacks surgery which really wasnt THAT much with blood work, surgery, biospy, patholgy of that lab only 250.00
But I tell people,
well he is 11 years old and if I divided that and his vet bills over the past years, he really hasnt cost me that much.

oh another ps
If you DO vaccinate at home, take the labels off the bottle, put it in your records and make a copy for your vet records too.
:goodpost: Thanks for the parvo info. Anyone who has never seen a dog with parvo cannot fathom the suffering that an infected dog endures. I go home crying a lot of days when I get parvo ward rotation. Nothing else at our office bothers me as bad as the pitiful parvo pups. Please folks get your dogs ALL of their shots...they are cheap in comparison to treating the problems caused from not being vaccinated. And saving your dog from the suffering....priceless!

love_gingers
Newborn Bully

Postby love_gingers » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 am

Yes, Parvo is killer, and I don't think people realize how easy it is for a dog to get it, but also how easy it is to prevent it...even adult dogs can get parvo if they've never been vaccinated! Three $10 vaccines....or parvo treatment costing upwards of $1000 with the risk of the dog dying? (then again, the people who wouldn't do vaccines, probably wouldn't treat for parvo either...)

At the shelter, we had a 2 year old Chihuahua get parvo....1.5 year old shepherd mix....10 month old pit bull (which may be considered puppy to some). And of course, the countless puppies. Most of them come in already harboring it.

Many people are so eager to "socialize" their puppies at the dog park, Petsmart, etc that they jump the gun and don't wait for the full series of vaccines. We tell adopters not to bring their dogs to public places until fully vaccinated but how many of them listen? It's a double-edged sword - the prime puppy socialization period occurs at the time they are most likely to get parvo.

Kristin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Kristin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:39 pm

At what age should your dogs stop getting this vaccine? I got myself all confused with the other vaccines and reading about how getting some of the vaccines over and over again is like poisoning your dog. I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old. Should they both be getting it again or should they have a immunity built up by now? I'll have to pull out the vet papers later to see when each got it done last.

shelboriah
Matured Bully

Postby shelboriah » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:15 am

we saw a 9 month old shepherd last week who hadn't eaten for two weeks and had been vomiting with diarrhea the whole time and now had bloody discharge from her vulva- she had been vaccinated at Petco four days before the owner brought her to us.

exams by your vet aren't just another way for them to take your money- they are a way to make sure your pet is healthy! (the aforementioned people were obviously idiots and the details of that poor dog's story would make you scream- but it's a reminder that exams are important).

also, while i'm on my soapbox....

we've seen several cases of Parvo too lately

...annnnnd..... HEARTWORM!!!! in the years i've been working as a tech I've only seen a couple of cases and they were from dogs from down south. this year alone i saw FIFTEEN! in dogs who've lived in ct all their lives. the katrina dogs and hounds they're shipping up here are bringing heartworm and by the time they're diagnosed and treated our mosquitoes already have it and have given it to our coyotes and foxes, and are spreading it back to our dogs and CATS too.

use your preventative!! year round!

:oops: i'll uh, step down now.

shelboriah
Matured Bully

Postby shelboriah » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:20 am

Kristin wrote:At what age should your dogs stop getting this vaccine? I got myself all confused with the other vaccines and reading about how getting some of the vaccines over and over again is like poisoning your dog. I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old. Should they both be getting it again or should they have a immunity built up by now? I'll have to pull out the vet papers later to see when each got it done last.

some manufacturers now approve their distemper/parvo vaccine for three years. puppies would get it every 3-4 weeks from 6 or 8 weeks until they're 16 weeks, then once a year later, and then every three years.

some vets do titers to check the immunity level before vaccinating.
other vets don't believe the titers to be accurate.

i still boost my nine year old every three years, but i doubt he really needs it at this point. my 3 and 4 year olds will continue to get them. especially because they're active in obedience and flyball.

Kristin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Kristin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:17 pm

shelboriah wrote:
Kristin wrote:At what age should your dogs stop getting this vaccine? I got myself all confused with the other vaccines and reading about how getting some of the vaccines over and over again is like poisoning your dog. I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old. Should they both be getting it again or should they have a immunity built up by now? I'll have to pull out the vet papers later to see when each got it done last.

some manufacturers now approve their distemper/parvo vaccine for three years. puppies would get it every 3-4 weeks from 6 or 8 weeks until they're 16 weeks, then once a year later, and then every three years.

some vets do titers to check the immunity level before vaccinating.
other vets don't believe the titers to be accurate.

i still boost my nine year old every three years, but i doubt he really needs it at this point. my 3 and 4 year olds will continue to get them. especially because they're active in obedience and flyball.

Ok thanks! That sounds good! :)

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:09 pm

Can adult dogs, say around the age of 4 still get Parvo, even if they've had all their shots as pups???

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Gypsy wrote:Can adult dogs, say around the age of 4 still get Parvo, even if they've had all their shots as pups???

Yes, if they have a compromised immune system. Immunity can fade over time, even if the dog is healthy.

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:21 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:
Gypsy wrote:Can adult dogs, say around the age of 4 still get Parvo, even if they've had all their shots as pups???

Yes, if they have a compromised immune system. Immunity can fade over time, even if the dog is healthy.
What would make the immunity system fail, they are all very healthy, what type of test would I find out if their immunity is compromised???

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong -

The vet can do titer tests on your dog to check it's immunity - BUT
Some vets think they are inaccurate and won't go by them. That's why they do 3 year vaccines for things like parvo and such.

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks I have to make a visit to the vets office very soon.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:47 pm

Some things to keep in mind when vaccinating...

1) Vaccines do not prevent the dog from becoming ill. They merely boost the immune system to recognize the virus and launch an attack against it.

2) When vaccinating young puppies, the mama's immunity (imparted when she nursed the puppy) has to be "used up" first, so the first vaccine does that - negates mama's immunity - thus the pup is more at risk between vaccine 1 and vaccine 2 than at any other time.

3) Be sure to follow your vet's recommendations to the T when getting a new puppy - and keep it wormed. A worm load can reduce a puppy's immunity and make it more susceptible to parvo and other illnesses.

4) A dog is considered at risk for developing parvo if it is under 2yrs. of age. Until that time, it is recommended to do the puppy series according to your vet's guidelines, then boost 1yr. after puppy vaccines are completed. The following year, it is a good idea to boost again.
After that, continue following your vet's guidelines.

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:28 pm

bump

Return to “Health Issues”