Clydes ear is swollen and red

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Clydes ear is swollen and red

Postby seekup1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:24 pm

he had dark brown ear waxy stuff and then I noticed he was scratching so I thought it was mites so I got some ear mite killer and used it last night
this am he was red and hot and swollen on that ear so I called the vet to see if I could get him in and make payments for the visit and what meds he might need they said no but to use a ear wash (oh boy he hated that )

anyway the other ear is fine since I dosed both ears with the mite med but the one that was stinky is the one that is red and swollen
well I washed his one ear with the "ear wash" this am and tonight it is clean and no exudate but hot and red and swollen and I think he needs anitbiotics but cant get to the vet, how can I get some for him and not see the vet I cant afford it and I dont want him to be in pain
any suggestions ???? :frown:
Marci and Clyde

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:43 pm

Ear infections can not only be dangerous and make a dog very ill and miserable, they can cause damage to the ear drum.
Some of the rinses you can make up or use, if the drum is ruptured, can cause damage to the inner ear, should the liquid drain down into the inner ear.
I'd recommend getting care credit if at all possible.
www.carecredit.com

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:10 pm

It sounds to me like an allergy. I'd get him to the vet or get him on Benadryll asap. The general dose is 1 mg per pound. It's safe and might help!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:05 am

Your dog has an ear infection... this will make your dog MISERABLE, and out of fairness to your pup you need to do whatever you can to see your vet. Sell something, borrow money from friends and family.

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:06 am

just tried care credit and they turned me down :frown: I am so worried

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 am

Calla round and see if someone will do a payment plan for you. He probably needs antibiotics (which are cheap) and maybe even some meds for in the ear.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:50 pm

Yup agreed, diagnosis and treatment of an ear infection is common and shouldnt be too much.
But antibotics either orally or by ear drops are probably needed. Dont use any more mite medicine as that might inflame things even worse.
Then you can go into prevenative maintence depending on what created it, if food allergies you can avoid certain foods, if just built up of moisture there are some low cost washes that help keep the ear balanced.
But you must start with a clean slate .

Ear infections can start out as lil yeast infections (very common with many dogs and something common to allergy dogs) but they can get deepr and result in a nasty ear infection which left untreated can create deafness!
And can also effect the inner ear (which is a whole nutter ball of wax..no pun intended).

So dont stop calling around. this is part of owning a dog, it does cost us money on occassion,

Call where you adopted him from they might have a low cost vet they can reccommend to you.

good luck! keep us posted.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:16 pm

Ear infections suck! Please get your dog the care it needs. Molly has had a few and the only time I ever heard her whimpering is when she had an ear infection. They need to be treated ASAP.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Is there anyone you can borrow money from?

Do you have a credit card at all?

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 am

sorry to link hsus but there is some good info ideas/resources/links here

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/what_ ... _care.html

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:07 am

I got some antibiotics from the feed store and being a nurse I know how to dose him. this morning I gave him the second dose and the redness is going away and the swelling looks better. No I dont have a credit card. I will give it a few days and call the shelter to see if they will see him on monday but I think he is on the mend. I have not used the mite stuff since that one time and I know it is an infection because I used the mite stuff in both ears but just the one is swollen but like I said it is looking better already :thumbsup:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:33 am

youre a nurse and you cant bring the dog to a vet?

I think , as you well know then, the wrong meds can easily increase a problem or can mask problems as they get worse.

Vetinary medicine is much much different.
Please do what you can to see a vet..
Adopting this dog you knew he might need care. A 60-100.00 vet bill shouldnt be life threatening to a home.

Call around you should be able to find a vet to look in his ear and treat it pretty cheaply.
As stated ear problems are pretty common and can become a life time of maintence if a dog is prone.

hugh_dog
Newborn Bully

Postby hugh_dog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:54 pm

luvnstuff wrote:youre a nurse and you cant bring the dog to a vet?

I think , as you well know then, the wrong meds can easily increase a problem or can mask problems as they get worse.

Vetinary medicine is much much different.
Please do what you can to see a vet..
Adopting this dog you knew he might need care. A 60-100.00 vet bill shouldnt be life threatening to a home.

x2

For the sake of the dog in the future, I wouldn't depend on a credit card. Start an emergency fund. I'm trying to figure out not being able to afford a vet visit on a nurses wages as well.

If being able to properly care for the dog means driving an older car bought for cash, eating ramen noodles, and canceling the satellite/cable and high speed internet in order to have cash on hand to take the dog to a vet, that's what needs to be done.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 pm

seekup1 wrote:I got some antibiotics from the feed store and being a nurse I know how to dose him. this morning I gave him the second dose and the redness is going away and the swelling looks better.

Being a nurse does not make you a doctor... it SHOULD make you MORE resonponsible instead of allowing you to cut corners. As a member of the health profession you should have more respect for your pet and antibiotic therapy... :po:

Po.Verse
Matured Bully

Postby Po.Verse » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Take him to a vet!!! You could make your dog go deaf!!!!! Sell your TV, something! He needs to see a vet.

Return to “Health Issues”