Clydes ear is swollen and red

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
felixmcgeehee13
Newborn Bully

Postby felixmcgeehee13 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:19 pm

Po.Verse wrote:Take him to a vet!!! You could make your dog go deaf!!!!! Sell your TV, something! He needs to see a vet.

X2

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:32 pm

youre a nurse and you cant bring the dog to a vet?

I will have you know there are layoffs in healthcare too and you have no idea the financial situation I am in right now

he is fine and doing so much better now I am not an idiot and and infection is an infection and treated with antibiotics it is not rocket science he is not going to go deaf

his ear tonight is not swollen anymore and the red is gone and it is not hot either so he is getting better I dont need people giving me crap because I asked for help, found a way to fix the problem and I get my butt chewed ???
thanks for the friendly advice :frown:
seriously rude comments :sad:

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:36 pm

one more thing
I could not wait the weekend to see a vet if I had the money to do so... I knew he needed the meds NOW and I was right and he is on the mend faster then if he saw the vet on monday and for him to put him on the same thing I put him on.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:47 pm

The majority of ear infections in dogs also involve yeast... chances are the antibiotics are not nearly enough.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 pm

seekup1 wrote:one more thing
I could not wait the weekend to see a vet if I had the money to do so... I knew he needed the meds NOW and I was right and he is on the mend faster then if he saw the vet on monday and for him to put him on the same thing I put him on.

What did you put him on? How do you know what one is right, and the correct dosage??
And Miss is right...it's usually secondary to a yeast infection.

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Clyde went to the vet today and I told her exactly what I did including the antibiotics and she said that was ok but she was glad I came in since it is usually yeast which is secondary to an infection. She was not upset I gave him the antibiotics and said not to worry because what I used is a broad spectrum type (which I knew) and it was ok since he was so inflamed and red and hot in that area and it looks like a internal infection and it most likely eased the inflammation (which it did ) so .....

he has yeast and is on a antibiotic (which can make him deaf BTW) but also wants him on steriods to ease itching (which have bad side effects ) but I could use benadryl if I choose. She also said Clyde has sensitive skin and I will probably have to deal with ear infections again.

thanks to those who did not jump down my throat and make me feel bad for doing my best until I could get him there (to the vet)

I wont be posting for advice again :frown:
I dont need to be put down for being poor or berated for trying what I knew was something that would not hurt him but was better then letting the thing fester until I had the means to get him to the vet.

I come here because I love the breed and had so far gotten good friendly advice.
I am so relieved it is not worse then I thought :bowdown:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:18 pm

If you have not done so yet - the most important thing you could do is change his diet.
Look at Natural Balance duck/potato or another Limited Ingredient Diet (LID) to help calm his allergies.
Also consider a drying agent for his ear, and do not get it wet in the tub or when he swims, if he does.
Yeast is caused by moisture in the ear or a poor diet.
Those tips should help.
I am glad he's better. Steroids can help in the short term but also cause immunosuppression so in the long run could even harm the dog or cause worsening symptoms.
Have you asked about using them every other day, perhaps?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:27 pm

FTR, imagine being a parent and coming on a parenting message board and saying, "my child is burning up with a fever and holding his ear, and crying" and everyone says "Oh, the baby has an ear infection! Get him to the doctor!" and you respond "Oh, that's nice, but I can't afford it right now, so I'll give him some old meds I had laying around".
Can you imagine what the other parents would say?
Now, it's your DOG, but to us, our dogs are like kids with fur.
So people grow alarmed and annoyed when others fail to see proper medical treatment for a sick "kid".
That's all.

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:40 pm

thank you for the advice

"Oh, that's nice, but I can't afford it right now, so I'll give him some old meds I had laying around"

FTR I did not give him old antibiotics laying around I got them from the feed store they were not outdated. amoxacillan which is sold for other animals but it is still the same drug and the dose is simple to find and calculate.
Now, it's your DOG, but to us, our dogs are like kids with fur

My dog Clyde is like my child just like Riley was for 13 yrs :crybaby: (I miss him)

Clyde is my child as I see it, I dont have children (dogs have been my love over the years) but I cant take him to the hospital (not for profit) ER Like I could a child. I have insurance but not for my kid/dog, so please dont assume I am not taking care of "my child" and that is how I felt from some of the posts.

anyway I am glad he is fine too. :)

patty

Postby patty » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:55 pm

I'm glad that Clyde is doing better :) . I know some posts "seemed" harsh, but out of concern. No member here wants anyones dog or pet to be sick and feeling bad.

There have been alot of ear infections lately, ME and Jesse for one. It can develop into a serious, chronic condition.

I know you will keep watch over Clyde. Let us know how he is doing over the next days and weeks.

Always ask for advice, members have vast knowledge and experience. Consider it a compliment that they respond to your post.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:28 am

I am glad to hear he is doing better.
Another good food to consider may be California Natural Lamb and Rice as is basic....
Steroid side effects can be a major drag.
Have you thought about pet insurance, was a life saver with my dog at times and not always pricey if more basic plans.

Give Clyde a smooch for me.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:25 am

seekup1 wrote:Clyde went to the vet today and I told her exactly what I did including the antibiotics and she said that was ok but she was glad I came in since it is usually yeast which is secondary to an infection. She was not upset I gave him the antibiotics and said not to worry because what I used is a broad spectrum type (which I knew) and it was ok since he was so inflamed and red and hot in that area and it looks like a internal infection and it most likely eased the inflammation (which it did ) so .....

You heard what you wanted to hear.

I usually downplay the negatives to my clients too so they'll come see me again instead of doing everything at home the next time when its a truly serious problem.

seekup1
Adolescent Bully

Postby seekup1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:53 pm

I usually downplay the negatives to my clients too so they'll come see me again

hummmm
I value honesty in my health professionals I would hate to think they would lie to me just to get business and I have been with this vet for 8+ years I dont think she was not telling me what she feels and I trust she is being honest with me. She always was with Riley and I expect the same with Clyde

the main point is Clyde is fine now. :)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm

seekup1 wrote:

the main point is Clyde is fine now. :)

Yup, you're lucky he doesn't have a nasty pseudomonas like another patient I saw today who was treated at home...

Return to “Health Issues”