new food, no improvements? (long, sorry!)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

new food, no improvements? (long, sorry!)

Postby *ruckus* » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Hello everyone-- I was hoping I could get some advice-- I have been scouring the forums for several weeks now, and trying different things, and I am just about to call the vet but was wondering if anyone had some insight?...
First off, my puppy is 9.5 month old intact male. Pitbull/Mastiff mix. Since about October, he has constantly had pimples on his chin and lip. We called the vet back then, and they told us to use stridex pads and it should clear up. We assumed that it was just from dragging his big silly head on the ground while sniffing (we live in an urban area, and they salt the sidewalks as well). The ones on his chin have cleared up but his lip is still pretty bad.
Also, for the past 3 weeks or so, he has developed a bald spot, about the size of a quarter, right on the top of his head between his ears. The skin is not flakey or weird, it hasn't grown or spread, but also not gone away.
The only other 'weird' thing, is one if his nipples is kind of large.
From researching on this forum, I have tried several things-- switching out his food and water bowl, taking away his kong and other toys to see if he is allergic, AND I've taught him not to scuff his chin along the pavement. No improvement. My next thought was maybe a food allergy...We were feeding him Nutro Natural Large Breed Puppy food (from what I gather this is like the "worst of the best", correct?), but last week switched to Natural Balance limited ingredient Salmon and sweet potato. He seems to like it, but eats MUCH less...he usually gets two bowls a day, and now he is only eating half a bowl at each feeding. Also, he's always been kind of a 'whiney' dog, but hes a LOT more whiney recently, whimpering quite often when nothing is going away. Beyond that, he is getting plenty of exercise (Thank god its warmer out!), and seems to mostly be in good spirits.... Anyone have any ideas??

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:36 pm

bald spot sounds like demodex mange
pimples could be either just that, adolescent pimples or secondairy bacterial infection
there was a thread in health recently about a male with enlarged nipples, but you will need to do a serach on it as I did not follow it
I would take him to your vet and have these all chekce out if you are able?

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Intact males will whine a lot when there is a female dog in heat anywhere within a mile or two away from you.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:34 pm

They can also get pimples from plastic food and water dishes.

Po.Verse
Matured Bully

Postby Po.Verse » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:Intact males will whine a lot when there is a female dog in heat anywhere within a mile or two away from you.

^truth to this.

And it sounds like he has mange. Alexis had it. Go see the vet and get a skin scrape before it gets worse.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Thanks!

Postby *ruckus* » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks guys... I had read a little bit about mange, and guess I thought that the skin would look different. I was planning on going to the vet, I didn't know how urgent that would be, but I guess I will call and make an appointment today. He already uses stainless steel water and food bowls... and if I remember correctly, the other thread about enlarged nipples was from someone who kept their dog lying in a crate for too long? Which wouldn't be the issue here--he is rarely in the crate for longer than an hour or two. I will search again though. And YES I will absolutely take him to the vet. I wasn't trying to substitute this forum for actual medical care, I just wanted to see if anyone had some insight as to whether these things were connected at all. Thanks!

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:44 am

Just remember also that food trials for allergies need to be at least 6-8weeks before you'll know the results.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 am

SKoth wrote:Just remember also that food trials for allergies need to be at least 6-8weeks before you'll know the results.

When you say "food trials", is there something specific I should be doing, like feeding him differently? I mixed his old and new food for the first few days, now its just the new stuff. Is there something else I should do when switching him over? Thanks so much for your help. I'm a relative newbie...have owned dogs before, but not as, conscientiously (I guess the word would be?) as I am trying to be this time.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:35 pm

When you are doing the food trial you can not feed treats, bones, etc. Unless it is the natural balance treats with the same ingredient.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:02 pm

Ok, good to know. I'm assuming that his nylabone is ok... I felt so bad when we took away his kong (to see if it was a rubber allergy), because the only toys that can withstand his chewing are nylabones and kongs!! Would there be a possbility that he could be allergic to the nylabone as well? Has anyone ever heard of that?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I try to research as best I can before I do, but sometimes its difficult to find what you are looking for :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:14 pm

Not sure about the nylabone.

Have you given him the kong back? If so you can stuff it with the canned food from Natural Balance (the same type you are feeding)

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Good idea! He did get the kong back, we took it away for a couple of weeks, and saw no difference, so we gave it back. The canned food is a really good idea...keeps him busy!

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:03 pm

ooh-- do you think I could stuff it with the canned food then freeze it? That might be a good treat!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:18 pm

*ruckus* wrote:ooh-- do you think I could stuff it with the canned food then freeze it? That might be a good treat!

Yep. Freezing it is good :thumbsup:

I use a mix of tuna fish, salmon, shredded cheese and plain yogurt. I'd wait til the food trial is over for that though.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:20 pm

Yeah, I'll wait-- was it 6-8 weeks?-- before going crazy with trying other things :) But the amount he loves ice cubes...he would go crazy for frozen food!

Return to “Health Issues”