HELP !!! (smelly tush)LOL

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
hugh_dog
Newborn Bully

Postby hugh_dog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:13 pm

If you do have the vet show you how to do this, remember, the number one rule when expressing anal glands is to stay focused, no talking and keep your mouth closed lol

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:30 pm

kmcamara wrote:Not to steal the post, it's still on topic . . .

Why do some dogs have issues with their anal glands and some don't? I've never had to deal with it, and I don't know much behind what goes on with them.

our vet told us if a dogs anal glands are turned just slightly than they wont be expressed by their pooping.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:21 am

I wonder if there is a reason why sometimes they seem to express fine and others not so much.

Khan released his in bed the other night and it has been a long time since he last did that. I was talking to my sister and I said.....I can never remember any dog we have had expressing their anal galnds while sleeping :dunno:

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:35 am

FBODGRL wrote:I wonder if there is a reason why sometimes they seem to express fine and others not so much.

Khan released his in bed the other night and it has been a long time since he last did that. I was talking to my sister and I said.....I can never remember any dog we have had expressing their anal galnds while sleeping :dunno:

we've had tons of dogs (mostly labs) and never any problems.....Wyatts a problem dog, its so frustrating.....a few weeks ago wyatt had wicked bad diarrhea (for four weeks) that whole time we didnt have any problems. We finally got his poop under control and now that its regular, we have problems. :dunno:

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:22 am

Savage Destiny wrote:I'd either learn how to do it yourself or take him to a groomer and have it done.

I honestly can't believe people take dogs to the vet's for A.G. expression... a groomer can do it just as well, probably charge less, and they'll bathe the dog so the A.G. stink doesn't just stay on their fur where it lands!

Would you have your hair stylist stick his/her finger up your butt?!? Yeah, no thanks, stick with the vet. JMHO. :tongue:

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 am

I do it myself and it's not nearly as bad it it sounds. Just do it in the bathtub at bath time. I'm not going to pay someone to do something that takes 2 minutes to learn and even less time to do. I've read that switching to a more natural diet (ie grain free) can make it easier for them to evacuate the glands on their own at the appropriate time. I'm in the process of switching Abby to Before Grain so we'll see.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:31 am

Murfins wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:I'd either learn how to do it yourself or take him to a groomer and have it done.

I honestly can't believe people take dogs to the vet's for A.G. expression... a groomer can do it just as well, probably charge less, and they'll bathe the dog so the A.G. stink doesn't just stay on their fur where it lands!

Would you have your hair stylist stick his/her finger up your butt?!? Yeah, no thanks, stick with the vet. JMHO. :tongue:

There's such a thing as external expression which does the job just as well and does not involve sticking your finger inside. :P

On the same token, do you want your doctor to squeeze some nasty smelling fluid all over you and just leave it there until you manage to get home and dive into the shower?

Brad-and-Brodix
Newborn Bully

Postby Brad-and-Brodix » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 am

Not sure if its had anything to do with it, but Brodix never done this until we changed his food :frown: He's been on the new food for a couple of months so we'll see....

Codys_mum
Newborn Bully

Re:

Postby Codys_mum » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:00 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:There is nothing more rewarding in life than to snuggle up on the couch with your dog only for him to release (what we like to refer to in our home as donkey juice) right on your new pair of jeans. I thought it was water at first and tried to wipe it off with my hand.... BAD, BAD, BAD mistake, lol.

roflmao

Been there, done that.

Cody's are a nightmare, I have to express his every other week otherwise we run the risk of getting sprayed every time the door bell rings. We had a dog years ago that needed her's doing and I had the vet teach me back then.
It's easy after the first time.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
Murfins wrote:

There's such a thing as external expression which does the job just as well and does not involve sticking your finger inside. :P

On the same token, do you want your doctor to squeeze some nasty smelling fluid all over you and just leave it there until you manage to get home and dive into the shower?

Oh, our vet's good about washing them afterwards!

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:51 pm

In class we learned how to express both internally and externally. I PREFER to express externally, however the smell will get you every time.

Like a lot of people said, have someone, either the Vet or a groomer show you, and you can decide whether its something in the future you'd be willing to do.

And I know some people asked this... and I'm not 100% sure, but some dogs have issues with the anal glads, others dog not. I was told it varried dog to dog, and was prevelent more so in specific breeds, I could be wrong. :dunno:

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:
Murfins wrote:

Yep, fully aware of both ways of doing it. Still I would not ever have a groomer do it. Also, if you do it right, you can avoid any liquid on the dog.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:00 pm

I just thought I'd chime in with my theory of bad food OR food that just doesn't agree with that dog...Chico (see avatar) is VERY suseptabel (you like that spelling?) to Butt ju ju smell...I kick him off the bed...poor food effects him

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:04 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Eww - and I feel your pain! Is it possible to have leaking glands that do not need to be expressed? A few times a week, Ruby gets 'the butt stink' and I wipe her butt and try to squeeze (yuk) BUT have never felt any compacted lumps or gotten any goo.... Poor Ruby will just stop and wait for me to catch up to her with a tissue when I say, "eww, you have stinky butt smell" LOL (I ALWAYS give her a treat after messing around back there!!!)

Sully has this happen at least or twice a week. He is so patient to let me get the baby wipes and wipe his heiny!
The vet says he is not impacted. Just something his bum does from time to time!

julieh1124
Newborn Bully

Postby julieh1124 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:17 pm

I read on another website to try putting a little pumpkin in their food, so I tried that and it actually works! I mix a big spoonful of canned pumpkin into her food every morning and she hardly ever has that problem anymore! It's worth a try, the pumpkin is only about $1 per can. I'm going to try making some biscuits with it next.

Return to “Health Issues”