Hickory Smoked Bones

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
biggggant
Newborn Bully

Hickory Smoked Bones

Postby biggggant » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:57 pm

I was at the grocery store today and saw some Butcher Shoppe brand bones for dogs. I was in a hurry and I thought it must be safe if its for dogs. I got them and now I'm not sure if they are safe for my 13 week Diesel. What do you guys think?

A-Ron
Adolescent Bully

Postby A-Ron » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:03 pm

This probably is not the answer you are looking for, but as a rule my wife and I never give things like (well anymore) this since it tends to give my girl nasty smelling farts. This goes for begging strips as well, I have never smelled nastier farts than the ones that are produed from begging strips.

biggggant
Newborn Bully

Postby biggggant » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:31 pm

A-Ron wrote:This probably is not the answer you are looking for, but as a rule my wife and I never give things like (well anymore) this since it tends to give my girl nasty smelling farts. This goes for begging strips as well, I have never smelled nastier farts than the ones that are produed from begging strips.

LOL I do appreciate the advice. Diesel had bad gas on beneful before I knew any better. Luckily he doesnt really get gas and i give him beggin strips

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:43 pm

They aren't safe if your dog can break and eat the pieces. Cooked bones are dangerous because they're sharp and don't break down very well in the dog's system, like most raw bones do.

Emma H
Matured Bully

Postby Emma H » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:43 pm

Just grab raw bones next time. Much safer :thumbsup:

bevo_pit_bull
Newborn Bully

Postby bevo_pit_bull » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:42 pm

i give my dog Pork Ham Bones. he looooves them. BUT....he must be supervised during his time with them. when he was younger, it would take him a good two weeks with the bone because he was still teething. now that he has a good set of chompers on him, he cracks thru in about an hour. If at any time a he bites off a small piece of the bone, i immediately throw the small piece away. I've heard of too many stories of dogs needed surgery because pieces of the bone get stuck in their throats. Another benefit is, the bones clean his teeth.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:00 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:They aren't safe if your dog can break and eat the pieces. Cooked bones are dangerous because they're sharp and don't break down very well in the dog's system, like most raw bones do.

x2. I go to a local butcher and just buy up marrow bones, much cheaper, runs me 79 cents a pound.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:06 pm

Not only are they not safe, they gave my dog the nasty runs.

Return to “Health Issues”