Which is better? TOTW or Diamond Naturals

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:59 am

I feed the high prairie food. I add canned salmon, mackarel or tuna to their food as well.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:41 pm

I am aware that it can be preserved with ethoxyquin before the companies get it, but after processingx2 and re-preservation with vitamin E, the amounts (if it still survived the cooking process) would be in undetectable trace amounts. In our personal lab I have analyzed ash contents of several brands a long while back, and in the process tested several of the fish based formulas for ethoxyquin to test the above concerns (unpublished). Even in foods like Purina Skin+coat (fish based) there were no detectable amounts of ethoxyquin, even though the above claim is readily used. So if you're worried about small amounts like that, you don't even want to know the % of carcinogens in the air we breathe. ;)

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:47 pm

I forgot to add but I am going to go rumagging through my QPCR data notebooks to see if I can find it. If I still have it I will scan it onto PDF to see. just FYI: I did a control with a food that didn't have any fish in it, and all of the foods in question were at that level or below (aka non-detectable). I also did a food that did have ethoxyquin as a preservative and the values were about 0.01ppm if I remember correctly.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 pm

jlphilli Wow, so cool that you have a job where you can do that! I would rather keep to the TOTW Pacific Stream than have to go with Orijen – not due to fear of overly high protein levels but just that my dog doesn't need something at 44% crude protein.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:39 pm

mtlu wrote:jlphilli Wow, so cool that you have a job where you can do that! I would rather keep to the TOTW Pacific Stream than have to go with Orijen –not due to fear of overly high protein levels but just that my dog doesn't need something at 44% crude protein.

I know some say it's perfectly safe. I still don't agree, and won't. It's taken 50 years for people to realize just how bad dry food can be for dogs. Super high protein has been around for ~6. We'll see...

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:07 am

My dog likes totw but anything more than the salmon 26 % protein and she has soft stool the rest of the line has 32 % maybe active dogs need alot of protein but not my house dog.

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:11 am

Well little off topic but all artificial sweetners cause cancer people still use them .

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:41 pm

And tobacco, alcohol, unnatural RX drugs, processed foods, and so forth. And most everyone, even an obsessive health nut -drives cars, drinks tap or well water, lives in cities with less than perfect air quality, etc. Few of us make the "ideal" choices for ourselves. Honestly, we who love our dogs usually do more homework on their needs than our own.

I love my dogs like family. No, they ARE family. And I research what I give them (even treats) to the best of my ability. But "perfection" doesn't exist, at least not realistically. As soon as I got married to BARF, my dog (only had one then) had some problems with that diet before the honeymoon was over. Information is SO conflicting regarding this sort of thing. I feed grain free, high quality foods, and give my dogs the best I know of, and what agrees with them.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Again, this goes back to the question of how "natural" it is to feed dogs raw, barf, whatever. Unless you are buying organic meat or killing a deer, chicken, etc., yourself, the meat most likely has hormones and the livestock were given antibiotics.

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:50 pm

I hunt (as does almost every male and a few females in my family), and still wouldn't go back to that! Antibiotics given to our foods aside, that diet just doesn't "sit well" with too many dogs I know. It makes no sense that dry kibble would be anything "evolved for," but it and a tad frozen/raw works best for my animals.

sid the muss
Newborn Bully

Postby sid the muss » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:35 am

has anyone else noticed the price of TOTW steadily going up over the last 6 months or so. when i 1st switched from Innova Evo last summer to TOTW High Prairie Canine Formula i was able to get a 30lbs bag for $27. a couple months later it was $30 and now it's $35. just curious if it's because the popularity of TOTW has gone up or the actual costs for all higher end foods has. still beats paying $47 for a 30lbs bag of Evo.

Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:49 am

murgh wish I could get it at 35 lol lol

I've consistantly paid 42-46 depending on where I get it from and which forumla.... lmao

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:14 am

I sell it for $45 in my shop, and it's only marked up 15-20%. Most items under $50 in pet stores are marked up 100%. Dog food is to get 'em in the shop. Hopefully they buy a collar or some toys!

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 am

I guess I should be happy to be paying $35!!

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:14 pm

Oh, those of you paying under $40 for TOTW should be very very very happy – the price has been slowly creeping up in my area for the past 6 months too – over $50 now at some places :(

Return to “Health Issues”