Is this a tape worm

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
biggggant
Newborn Bully

Is this a tape worm

Postby biggggant » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:58 pm

Diesel went outside to do his business and I picked it up and there was a flat rice sized thing in his feces. It was very flat but I swear it moved. He's on revolution (flea, tick, heartworm preventative) so I think he must have gotten infected at my sister's. Does that sound like a tapeworm? Everything I read says its like a grain of rice but no one says if its flat like that. I don't see any in his crate at the moment. Should I go to the Vet's or can I get him an OTC from Petco? BTW he's 14 weeks old and has his shots.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Ew...tapeworms...

Last year when my cat was sitting in my lap I felt a little slimy thing on my arm. I looked down and it was a little white rice looking thing CRAWLING across my skin. DISGUSTING. It was flat while it was moving. The ones that stop moving look more like rice.

Later I found other rice looking things on his bed...little tapeworm eggs...

Call up your vet and see if they'll give you a dose of meds for tapeworm. I didn't have to bring my cat in, I just picked up the medicine from the receptionist.

Since then my cat's been on Advantage...I'm not sure how good revolution is. Maybe your dog licked a flea from your sister's dog/cat? I'd call your sister and ask her to check her animals for fleas.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:54 pm

No, it has to be Praziquantel and can only be purchased online or at a vet. It's very costly but it's the only thing that will get tapes.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:55 pm

yes it is a tape worm segment(what the tape worms use to hold onto your dog's intestines, the actual tape worms are very long and flat looking like a long piece of fettucine)
when they first come out, they are little white flat segments and usually moving, after they dry up, they look like a kernel of rice or sesame seed
no you do not need to go to the er vet but you canacall your vet and tell him what you saw and he should sell you the tape worm meds with out a vet visit. soem also get it from Petsmart, but I prefer my vet's meds)
tape worms do not show up in a routine fecal float (that is why your vet should sell you the meds without a visit)and if your pup ate one flea or bird poop he will more then likely become infected

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:01 pm

msvette2u wrote:No, it has to be Praziquantel and can only be purchased online or at a vet. It's very costly but it's the only thing that will get tapes.

I'm not sure what med I got but it was only around $15...and it did the trick. I guess this is a stupid question but do cats and dogs get different types of meds for tapeworm? Why would a dog's med be more expensive?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Well that sounds like it, but many folks think they can get a bottle of wormer for $4.00 and it'll work.
You do have to get it from the vet.
And no, it's the same med for cats and dogs, but different dosages.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:23 pm

Gotcha, thanks :thumbsup:

biggggant
Newborn Bully

Postby biggggant » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:27 pm

thanks for the advice guys. I've read alot of positive things about tradewinds. I found it on the Petco site. Will I be able to go in and buy it from the store?

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Droncit, or Drontal Plus (which kills lots of kinds of internal parasites) are always a good standby. The vet writes the prescription, and you give them usually two doses, one right away and one I think about a week afterwards?

biggggant
Newborn Bully

Postby biggggant » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:22 pm

Well I bought the tradewinds. I want to give it to him tonight but I was hoping to find somemore traces in his last fecal sample but I didn't see any more segments. Hopefully I can get enough light tonight. Do you guys think I need to confirm the tapeworm one more time? I know I saw the 1st one move so I'm 95% certain.

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:14 am

Are you sure you aren't seeing whole hookworms?

biggggant
Newborn Bully

Postby biggggant » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:46 am

It was a segment that looked like a piece of flat rice.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:52 am

you can go to Tractor Supply Store and get them Prazinquantel in tablet form. The brand name is Tapeworm Tabs

biggggant
Newborn Bully

Postby biggggant » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:54 am

I got tradewinds which has that ingredient. I gave him two tabs this morning with his breakfast. So I'll see how it goes.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:55 pm

I just thought I'd add in that at least you just SAW it and it wasn't on your arm like when my cat got them and was getting up from cuddling me and thar she blows!!! GROSS :yucky:

Return to “Health Issues”