is this nausea?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

is this nausea?

Postby ilikelily » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 pm

Max is hacking much more than usual since last night.
It's like a dry hacking, kinda like a cough sound. The only way to describe it something like a smokers cough, or like a cat with a hair ball.
No puke or anything; nothing is coming up with the cough.

I am just worried because we are suppose to be watching for signs of nausea, but I don't know if that is what this is.

He is happily chomping down all his food, and is not acting sick at all (actually kinda being a pain in the butt because he is ready for his afternoon walk).

So what are the signs of nausea? Is hacking one of them (I really, really hope not)?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Sounds like kennel cough to me. Google it and see if it fits.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Did Max get a chest x-ray since his diagnosis?

It doesn't sound like nausea to me. :dunno:

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Kennel cough! I did not even think of that, duh. Thank you!

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:43 pm

Murfins wrote:Did Max get a chest x-ray since his diagnosis?

It doesn't sound like nausea to me. :dunno:

No, not that I am aware of. Is this something that I should have done? Are you thinking that it may be spreading to his lungs? Tell me what you are thinking Murfins. :)

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:49 pm

Personally, I would have them check his lungs because yes, sadly, it could have spread to his lungs ... I'm paranoid about that though after losing my Aggie girl to lung cancer almost 2 years ago.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Murfins wrote:Personally, I would have them check his lungs because yes, sadly, it could have spread to his lungs ... I'm paranoid about that though after losing my Aggie girl to lung cancer almost 2 years ago.

So sorry to hear about your Aggie girl.

I vaguely remember some mention of this when we received his diagnosis (it's a terrible, hazy memory that I would prefer to forget though). Of course he has not coughed since I made this post, but will call and talk to Linda and vet anyway.

I am sure there is no chance my professor will grant me an extension on my paper because I had to take my dog to the vet. oh, crap... such is life lol

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:12 pm

sadly, I agree with Murfins on the x-ray of the lungs
Come on Max, stay well baby!!!! :bowdown:

pitgrrl

Re: is this nausea?

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:36 pm

ilikelily wrote:Max is hacking much more than usual since last night.
It's like a dry hacking, kinda like a cough sound. The only way to describe it something like a smokers cough, or like a cat with a hair ball.
No puke or anything; nothing is coming up with the cough.

I am just worried because we are suppose to be watching for signs of nausea, but I don't know if that is what this is.

He is happily chomping down all his food, and is not acting sick at all (actually kinda being a pain in the butt because he is ready for his afternoon walk).

So what are the signs of nausea? Is hacking one of them (I really, really hope not)?

Streets does this when he's having a minor bout of what I can best describe as acid reflux.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:53 pm

I hope he's ok!

At home when Peanut is queasy she licks her lips and swallows a lot and then you see her belly convulse and she barfs.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Would you believe not a single cough since I posted!

He has always had his old man cough, but it was just so increased last night and this morning I was getting worried.

Pitgrrl- is there anything that you can recommend for the acid reflux; anything that seems to help Streets? That is also something we are suppose to be looking out for. Right now he gets 2 acid controller pills a day and there is slippery elm in the Essiac that he also gets twice a day.

Shoshana- thank you for the description (as gross as it is, I can totally picture it!) and I am glad that, that is not what this is.

I am working on talking to the vet about the lung x-ray too.

Thanks again for all the ideas and input everyone. :peace:

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09 pm

You're welcome. Peanut is very obvious about it - I've known dogs that will just walk right up to you and barf at your feet...

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:22 am

Shay was doing the dry hacking cough. She did it while we were at the oncologist, he did say it was basically acid reflux. He put his nose to her mouth and told me I would notice a distintive smell. Since being on the pepcid, I haven't noticed her doing it.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 am

ilikelily wrote:
Pitgrrl- is there anything that you can recommend for the acid reflux; anything that seems to help Streets? That is also something we are suppose to be looking out for. Right now he gets 2 acid controller pills a day and there is slippery elm in the Essiac that he also gets twice a day.

The only think that's made a significant difference is giving Active Manuka Honey 20-30 minutes before meals. For Streets at least, it's worked far better than Pepcid.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:30 am

Pitgirl I am wondering about the sugar in the Manuka Honey?
I know that sugars feed the cancer, any thoughts about this?

Return to “Health Issues”