Any owners have experience with COMFORTIS?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Any owners have experience with COMFORTIS?

Postby adamwilkes14 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:44 pm

My local vet suggested Comfortis today for Daisy, rather that Advantage 5in1, at least until she gets 6 months old. (I only have another month to wait) for flea control. I am tired of the topical treatments and want to go to a tablet treatment. Do any of you have any exp with Comfortis? How well does it work?

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Works amazing for me. Haven't seen one flea on Chase and I live in So Cal where they are definitely plentiful. Chase hates taking it bc you can smell the medicine in it, but it really does work.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:57 pm

Great thanks. I didnt know that the Advantage was topical too, so it looks like I am going to get her the comfortis, then when she turns 6 months old on 5/23 taking her to my vet and having the blood test done and pputting her on an oral heartworm prev.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:07 pm

How often do you give the Comfortis?

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:08 pm

according to the vet it is once a month, but it only prevents fleas, and starts working in like 30 minutes. But if you have ticks in your yard, (which I havent had a prob with) They said they would recommend something else. I dont have a flea problem in the yard or house (thank god) But with these feral cats and stuff that Daisy ends up chasing out of the fence, I wanna be safe.

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:18 am

I had Saint on Comfortis shortly after I adopted him. Only problem was they vet had him on Ivermectin for a spot of demodex at the same time. Saint started drooling more than normal and his pupils appeared larger than normal. I took him back to the vet and we took him off Comfortis and back to a topical. A few months later the vet said people discovered that Comfortis should not be administered while on Ivermectin.

It did work wonderfully for on the flea situation though. My vet said I could put Saint back on Comfortis now if I wanted because he's not on Ivermectin. I am having issues with topical treatments not working well for him.

I would say if your dog isn't on any other medications to go for it. It was amazing how well it worked for the fleas.

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:42 am

I'm using it, and haven't seen a flea yet, but I don't really know when flea season in north central Florida is...(But it's been in the 80's for weeks)

Nanci

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:30 am

Will Comfortis kill already existing fleas?

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:37 am

adamwilkes14 wrote:Great thanks. I didnt know that the Advantage was topical too, so it looks like I am going to get her the comfortis, then when she turns 6 months old on 5/23 taking her to my vet and having the blood test done and pputting her on an oral heartworm prev.

She needs to be started on HW prevention immediately! Puppies can be started on heartworm prevention without a test, because the worms have to be 5-8 months old to even produce the antigen that the test is checking for. You are putting her at risk by waiting until she is 6 months to start prevention. It doesn't make sense to wait to test until the worms would show up, when you could be preventing them from being there in the first place.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:50 am

Allie wrote:Will Comfortis kill already existing fleas?

Yep, as soon as they bite the dog they die instantly. I have Hannah on it now because I was tired of topicals as well. This is a great product!

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:46 pm

Roxers wrote:
adamwilkes14 wrote:Great thanks. I didnt know that the Advantage was topical too, so it looks like I am going to get her the comfortis, then when she turns 6 months old on 5/23 taking her to my vet and having the blood test done and pputting her on an oral heartworm prev.

She needs to be started on HW prevention immediately! Puppies can be started on heartworm prevention without a test, because the worms have to be 5-8 months old to even produce the antigen that the test is checking for. You are putting her at risk by waiting until she is 6 months to start prevention. It doesn't make sense to wait to test until the worms would show up, when you could be preventing them from being there in the first place.

Yeah, just for the record I did not want to NOT put her on the HW prevention, the vet when we took her to get spayed, vaccinated, and microchipped said not to do it til she is 6 months. I am going to a different vet tomorrow to pick up the comfortis and make an appt for the HW prevention.

Nanci, where in Central Fl are you...I am in Zephyrhills

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:35 am

Okie dokie, I started Daisy on the comfortis today and she has a HW test appt on Tuesday.

Return to “Health Issues”