Raw Vegan Dog Food

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Raw Vegan Dog Food

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:17 am

HOLD YOUR ROTTEN TOMATOES!!

I'm not promoting, just asking questions.

I have a raw food (non)cook book, "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" by Ani Phyo

She has a recipe in here that she feeds to her dog, who is a 95 pound Rhodesian Ridgeback.

She says that she adopted the dog, "Kanga" - who was very sick. Kanga only weighed 45 pounds, had kennel cough, hung her head low, was depressed, was losing chunks of hair, and was only skin and bone.

Over the next two months, Ani converted Kanga from canned vegetarian dog food to a 100% live vegan diet.

She says that within 2 months, Kanga gained 50 pounds on her vegan living foods diet. Her fur is soft, silky and super shiny. She says her vet thinks the diet is great.

She does feed her dog avocados
My thoughts: (I'm beginning to think the actual avocado isn't bad - it's the pesticide they use on the trees - people who grow in their yard and don't use pesticide, seem not to have problems with their dogs eating the fruit.)

Back to Ani's words:
Kanga also loves seaweeds and nuts, but Durian is her favorite(big, spikey, stinky fruit).

Ok, now for the actual recipe
She says she feeds 2 cups 2x a day to her 95lb. dog.

1 clove garlic
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, pecans, or walnuts
2 cups greens and vegetables (Kale, spinach, squash, carrots)
1 Tablespoon fresh herbs (Basil, oregano, cilantro, dill)
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Process in food processor to mix well.

Drizzle the olive oil over the food after scooping into dog bowl.

Optional: Just before serving, mix 1 Tablespoon of spirulina blue-green algae or 2 Tablespoons of dry wakame into food.
(Dogs love Chlorophyll, which is why they eat grass all the time)

Ok, my questions. Is this really healthy for a dog to live on? She also feeds her scraps to the dog(I've always done this, my dogs love crunchies), which are all fruits, nuts and vegetables.

What are the major things missing from the diet that are essential for dogs?

The pictures of the dog look great(who knows what effect it has on life span, though?)

It struck me as odd, finding this recipe in the book. I'm not interested in feeding this - I'm perfectly happy feeding meat.

Feel free to praise or tear this apart - I'm curious what you guys think of it.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:27 am

There's no way that can be as healthy a diet for a dog as one containing meat. And the salt is a really bad idea.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 am

I agree.
I bet she could have "converted" the dog, once rescued, into being healthy on Purina, but maybe Kirkland would have been better lol
I've seen emaciated dogs gain on shelter dog food.
Dogs are amazing for being able to make use of the nutrients given them but they need a starting place, and IMO, that's with real meat.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:06 am

That dog is eating TWO TABLESPOONS OF SALT A DAY!!
Even if it's sea salt - no one is supposed to eat that much salt a day. Many people do, because it's in most processed food, but it's not healthy.

The dog is also eating 2 garlic cloves a day. Garlic is good in small quantities, but how can that much garlic at a steady intake be good for them?

I wonder what this dog's crap looks like. She said the veggies provide good fiber, but how much is the dog absorbing, I wonder?

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:29 am

In the vast majority of cases:

Vegan=Moron.

We had a friend with a team of sled dogs that hired someone to watch them while they were away on business. This dog-sitter converted them to a vegan diet and it almost killed 2 of the 30 dogs. The rest lost so much weight they looked like Auschwitz victims.

Mario

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:16 am

She says that she adopted the dog, "Kanga" - who was very sick. Kanga only weighed 45 pounds, had kennel cough, hung her head low, was depressed, was losing chunks of hair, and was only skin and bone.

Over the next two months, Ani converted Kanga from canned vegetarian dog food to a 100% live vegan diet.

So, the dog was eating canned vegetarian diet when it weighed 45 pounds and was oh so sick?
Dogs are opportunistic predatory/scavengers. They can make do with a wide variety of, well, crap. However, it boggles my mind when people switch dogs (or worse yet, cats) to vegan or vegetarian diets. They really aren't set up digestively for that.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:42 am

A hungry dog will EAT anything.
I saw on that Animal Planet show a dog that had eaten cardboard to stay alive (it was locked in a basement or something)

need I say more?

Heck if I was starving I might eat bacon (eck.. I HATE PORK and it HATES me...)

My dog Jack has to eat vegatarian kibble, due to allergies, but I do give him REAL MEAT when I can , fish, scraps of beef from friends dinner (hey why not).. real fresh non kibbled meat he can eat..imagine that.
He barks at the stove when I cook him meat.. tell me he doesnt know the difference? He knows its for him!

:0 )

UnconventionalLove
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby UnconventionalLove » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:46 am

Carnivora--Enough said.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:04 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:

So, the dog was eating canned vegetarian diet when it weighed 45 pounds and was oh so sick?
Dogs are opportunistic predatory/scavengers. They can make do with a wide variety of, well, crap. However, it boggles my mind when people switch dogs (or worse yet, cats) to vegan or vegetarian diets. They really aren't set up digestively for that.

I'm not sure. She adopted the dog, so I think she was feeding the canned dog food and transitioned it over to the raw vegan.

I think when people who are vegan say that it is unnatural for them to eat meat - that's fine, whatever. But if they want a pet - a CARNIVOROUS pet - it is important to respect that animal's natural diet.

Because it's no different than someone coming along and forcing that person to be a strict(or mostly) carnivore - it wouldn't be natural, nor would it be healthy.

Dogs and humans are on opposite sides of the omnivore scale - They are carnivorous omni's and we are vegetarian omni's

The majority of our diets are veggies and the majority of their's are meat. Just because we are both omnivores, doesn't mean we should have the same diet.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:36 pm

Dogs aren't omnivores. They are carnivores, opportunistic carnivores.

Feeding a dog, or god forbid a cat, a vegan diet will lead to serious illness and deficiencies. It won't take that long. Cats will seem to thrive then at about 5 or 6 years they will crash, hard. I've heard people say "their dog lived 12 happy, healthy years..." Some dogs do great on 'Ole Roy or Bil Jac too, just not the majority. There will always be exceptions.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 pm

I think the dog is "only" getting 1tbsp of salt a day, since that recipe yields 4 cups (and she feeds 2 cups 2x a day).

However, I agree with what else has been said. Aside from the salt it sounds like a terrific additive to a raw diet. But not a terrific diet as it stands alone.

And an aside to your aside, BA, I've been told avocados are good, but that the pits are poisonous.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Amie wrote: And an aside to your aside, BA, I've been told avocados are good, but that the pits are poisonous.

That is my understanding as well. I also heard that you shouldn't give any of the meat that immediately surrounds the pit either.

Emma H
Matured Bully

Postby Emma H » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 am

Ugh, now that just makes me shudder! People can be so dumb :frown:

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:00 pm

I'm vegan, my dogs aren't - AT ALL. They eat raw meat and people tell me if I'm not careful, they'll turn on me. Maybe they'll dine on a vegan? I doubt it. ha! Mind you, the same people who tell me they'll turn on me b/c they have the 'taste of blood' are the same people who tell me that GOD put animals on the earth for humans to eat and why am I going against what GOD wants? How on earth do people come up with doo-doo like this?

Um, I do resent the vegan=moron little comment above. I mean, I could be a moron, but it wouldn't be b/c of my diet.

~k.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:10 pm

Kirstan wrote:Um, I do resent the vegan=moron little comment above. I mean, I could be a moron, but it wouldn't be b/c of my diet.

~k.

Ditto. I'm vegan but my dogs are raw meat enthusiasts.

Return to “Health Issues”