Anal Glands?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Studlintsean
Adolescent Bully

Anal Glands?

Postby Studlintsean » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:02 pm

Sorry if this has been brought up before.... Im sure everyone has experienced that wonderful smell of an anal gland. How often do your dogs do it and what is the reason for this? Does anyone "pop" them themselves ? When i was living with my Dad he made me watch a video on how to do it because my male Bronx popped one in his brand new car and thought that i needed to start doing it to prevent it happening in places like that again.

bullydogla
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby bullydogla » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:03 pm

roflmao roflmao roflmao

lovabull
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lovabull » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Anal gland smell :yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

I have to expel them once in a while. Not a pleasant experience, but better than the dogs smelling all funky.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:26 pm

haha, ive yet to have wyatt stink in my car.....only a matter of time though i guess. I express wyatts every couple of weeks depending on whether or not he's doing it on his own (while pooping) and every time i give him a bath i do it then too.

skada21
Adolescent Bully

Postby skada21 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:28 pm

I have a dog that expresses his on a regular basis.

He's a bit neurotic at times and things like somebody new and threatening (like my friend's tiny blonde gf - real scary lol) coming into our house or strange dogs make him do it. We call it fish butt and he is becoming used to just having his back end washed because he does it so often. The best part is he is a ninja pooper so gets embarrassed when you touch his butt to wash it.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:09 pm

When Piper's digestion is less than optimal, hers will occasionally back up. We've had to express them 3 times in the 2.5 years we've had her. When we notice her paying way too much attention to that area with her tongue, we know something's afoot. :(

It smells like the devil's armpits. It's awful. Last time we had to express them, it sprayed the wall...which, thank HEAVENS, is covered in glossy white wainscot up to 48" so I could easily wash it off. But the whole experience got me so skeeved out that I ended up basically sterilizing my whole kitchen like some kind of hospital OR.

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:30 am

Devils armpits... lol

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:15 am

Yuk, anal glands. Fortunately for me, my dogs seem to express them the natural way, through pooping, and I don't have to do anything with them.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:28 pm

We'd have Copper sitting on one of our laps and he'd let one go. He'd freak out, you knew, because he's start licking like crazy and you'd smell that dead fish odor :yucky:

Now I express my dogs' when I bathe them. Or if they are needing to be done I bump up their bath for it lol

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:28 pm

how do you know if they "do it themselves"? Can you see it?

I've never cleaned chase's and he doesn't smell, is it necessary?

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:29 pm

sorry if that is a dumb question by the way.

I suppose I could have just googled it but I'm eating right now and didn't want things to start comin' back up

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:31 pm

If he's not uncomfortable, or expressing his anal glands in inconvenient places, it doesn't need to be done.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:44 pm

Everytime he poops like right after a little liquid will come out but I've never actually seen where it is coming from, could that be it?

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Chasesmom wrote:Everytime he poops like right after a little liquid will come out but I've never actually seen where it is coming from, could that be it?

Yep...that's it.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Lovely ain't it? Logan used to express his frequently. Thank God I have a cover for our sofa. He hardly does it anymore since he switched to TOTW.

I can ALWAYS smell Molly's bum after she poops. Horrendous, fishy, odour! I always wipe her bum after she poops.

Even though I can smell Logan's it doesn't smell fishy like Molly's! :yucky:

Return to “Health Issues”