Anal Glands?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Enigma wrote:Sure, let's just remove the dog's whole ear canal because it's owner is too lazy to clean his dog's ears...

I guess that's one way of looking at it, but that wouldn't be the case for me. I certainly wouldn't be too lazy as to clean my dog's ears a few times a week if that were the best solution for my dog. But for me, it would be a matter of determining what would be the most comfortable long-term solution for my dog. I am of opinion that having the surgery and "being done with it" would probably make my dog happier than cleaning its ears several times per week. That's MY way of looking at it.

And i won't put Jaka through surgery if there's an option i can fix his problem with a simple thing as changing his diet. I have to at least try other things before i decide to do the surgery.

I agree with you on this. As I said, I didn't see that your dog had only had problems for 2 weeks and that not much else has been tried besides the cleanings. I hope it DOES fix your dog's problem. But I also hope if it doesn't and your dog needs this sort of care on an ongoing basis that you will consider just "being done with it" via surgery, for his sake.

I only read your first post where you wrote OMG! Pay $500 to have those things removed and be done with it! - you wrote that right after my post where i said i'll save up 500$ just in case i'll need it for the surgery. I didn't know you didn't read my post about it, i was already writing my reply when you posted your second post. So yeah, i read OMG just put your dog under surgery and be done with it! - how do you think this reply made me feel? That's why my reaction came off a bit harsh even though i didn't mean it like that.

I see what you're saying. I think it was all just s misunderstanding and overlapping of postings.

Wouldn't the dog be uncomfortable if he'd be in pain? Wouldn't he be scooting and biting his behind?

I don't know. It just depends on the dog and how he deals with pain, I guess. I had a dog that played frisbee on a broken leg for a week before I knew it was broken. Wouldn't one think she was in pain? She didn't show it if she was. But she had to have been with a broken bone in her leg! Dogs are stoic creatures. Most don't show pain/discomfort very blatantly. I'm just sayin'. I really do think this problem is at the very least uncomfortable, if not painful, for your dog. I don't see how it couldn't be.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:03 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:I am of opinion that having the surgery and "being done with it" would probably make my dog happier than cleaning its ears several times per week.
Cleaning takes me 5 minutes for both ears and Brina knows she always gets rewarded after it. Both her ears can get infected if i don't clean them, one is just a bit worse than the other so if i would decide for the surgery they would have to remove both her ear canals. I don't know how being completely deaf for the rest of her life is better than a few minutes of uncomfortable cleaning/week. But nevermind, this is completely offtopic.
But I also hope if it doesn't and your dog needs this sort of care on an ongoing basis that you will consider just "being done with it" via surgery, for his sake.
Um.. Didn't i write this?
If it doesn't get better or if it gets worse he will go under the knife.

Ok, nevermind, it's a pointless debate anyway ;) I'll see if Jaka's condition will improve after some changes. Thanks everybody for your help and advice :thumbsup:

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:59 pm

Enigma wrote:But nevermind, this is completely offtopic.

That's what I was going to say.

Anyway, keep us updated on how Jaka does, please. I'll be curious to see how it turns out for him!

Enigma
Forum Junky

Re: Anal Glands?

Postby Enigma » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:02 pm

So far so good... He still has to take antibiotics for the next 2 days, but the infection healed, there's no blood anymore, so that's good. I give him a lot of fibrous food, he poops 3 times more than usual, but that's ok, it helps him empty the glands. I hope his condition will continue to improve. :thumbsup:

twotanks
Newborn Bully

Postby twotanks » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 pm

I had chronic problems with my dog's anal glands a while back. No blood or vet visits but I also work at a grooming salon so I had knowledgeable people around and I knew how to express them. I expressed them myself on a weekly basis for a while. Changing her food has defiantly helped. It came back when she hit 1and I switched her off puppy food and onto adult and I have since found a food that works for her and haven't needed to do them in months.
I hope your pup continues to improve with a change in diet. I'm sure you know but it may take a bit because change in diet causes looser stools sometimes. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

StarrLightning
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby StarrLightning » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Gauge expelled his on my backseat yesterday. But in his defense it was completely my fault. I'm such a bad doggie mom. I decided to take them on a short car ride with me to get something to eat and when I was getting them in the car I accidentally shut the tip of Gauge's tail in the car door. He's fine - but my backseat wasn't.

Poor Gauge :( I felt so bad, that I do something I don't normally do for the dogs. They got plain hamburgers for dinner.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:25 am

Oh ouch! Im always pushing dozer further into the car to prevent his tail from being smashed in the door. He seems to forget that the tail is important and needs to go inside the car with the rest of him roflmao roflmao

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:47 pm

I think Jaka's problems ended :nana: Adding fiber and switching to another kibble really helped, i gave him a bath and expressed his glands a week ago after he went off antibiotics and then left it alone for a while. He didn't have any accidents since then :thumbsup: I expressed his glands today after a week and only a very small amount of clear fluid came out which is great news :headbang: I hope we won't have any problems from now on :pray :))

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:03 pm

All right! Great news. :clap

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 pm

That is great!!! :nana:

PinKster
Matured Bully

Postby PinKster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:38 am

That's awesome!! :headbang:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:11 am

Thanks! He's so happy he's allowed back on the bed again :))

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:38 am

Hope the good news stays good news!!!
Just start to cut down on the expressing, if they are done too often then they will require you to keep doing it. It's one of those things that once you start, you can't stop. Hopefully with the new foods and such you will never have to do them again!!!

ZoeyBear
Newborn Bully

Postby ZoeyBear » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Enigma - what kind of fiber did you start using and how much? My lab has been licking her booty and this morning I realized why...help...

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:49 am

I added wheat bran and other whole grain products to his diet. Oh and cooked lentils. Just make sure your dog isn't allergic to lower quality grains. For other things you can add you can go through this website:
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art49479.asp

Jaka still doesn't have any problems :)) I switched him to another kibble when he started to have problems so that helped too :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”