Quick "raw food for dummies" question

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Quick "raw food for dummies" question

Postby Stormi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Raw, store bought chicken. Safe for dogs, or no? If not, what might be a safe alternative?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:11 pm

I would say safe as long as it isnt expired, i think you can flash boil if you are worried about salmonella.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Yup - as long as standard food safety protocols were followed (ie - it hasn't been sitting in your car for hours).

Don't flash boil it - cooked bones (even barely cooked) splinter and are dangerous.

I'd also be careful of wings and necks for pit bull sized dogs. Wings still connected to the breast are fine but by themselves can be too easy for the bigger dogs. For example, wings and necks are given to our 14 pound Doxie/Chi.

oh - and HAVE FUN!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:17 pm

FransterDoo wrote:Yup - as long as standard food safety protocols were followed (ie - it hasn't been sitting in your car for hours).

Don't flash boil it - cooked bones (even barely cooked) splinter and are dangerous.

I'd also be careful of wings and necks for pit bull sized dogs. Wings still connected to the breast are fine but by themselves can be too easy for the bigger dogs. For example, wings and necks are given to our 14 pound Doxie/Chi.

oh - and HAVE FUN!

Good to know about the flash boil, I didnt think it would have that effect!

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Thank ya!

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:41 pm

Dogs have iron guts and aren't as sensitive to salmonella type crap like we are... I'll even feed them slightly gamey meat. Not all the time of course, but I'm not going to get a few days expired or slight stinkiness deter me.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:46 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:Dogs have iron guts and aren't as sensitive to salmonella type crap like we are... I'll even feed them slightly gamey meat. Not all the time of course, but I'm not going to get a few days expired or slight stinkiness deter me.

x2

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 pm

The only thing you need to check for is added sodium.

It'll often say something like "Natural chicken broth". Don't buy this. While it's ok on occassion, you don't want all the added sodium :thumbsup:

I'm new to raw myself... and the dogs are loving it!!

jewelsdaddy
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby jewelsdaddy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:35 am

Correct about the sodium levels(I think unenhanced meat has sodium levels around 70-80). If it says ENHANCED then I wouldn't use it. Some dogs can handle enhanced meat and have no problem others can't.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 am

jewelsdaddy wrote:Correct about the sodium levels(I think unenhanced meat has sodium levels around 70-80). If it says ENHANCED then I wouldn't use it. Some dogs can handle enhanced meat and have no problem others can't.

Yep, gotta read the labels carefully.

While some dogs may be able to handle it, I would be afraid of long term side effects if it was used regularly.

Once in awhile though shouldn't be an issue (I've given my Boston some enhanced chicken wings here and there with no issue).

You're better off looking for a butcher. I found a great butcher that is about 5 minutes away (didn't even know it was there!) and he's able to give me really great prices... MUCH better then grocery store, and never "enhanced". He deals with a lot of raw feeders and is happy to help.

Google butchers in your area... shop around, you might be surprised ;)

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:26 am

Not to be totally off topic - but I often defrost Ruby's chicken parts in the microwave and ahve wondered if it had a similar bone-hardening effect?? I usually leave the meat slightly frozenish still but any thoughts related to flash boiling???

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:41 am

I prefer not to HP but my reasoning is that I feed 3 big dogs and a little dog. I defrost food in a bowl (or the sick) filled with warm water.

Maybe someone with more experience with how microwaves work can give you some more information.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:20 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:Not to be totally off topic - but I often defrost Ruby's chicken parts in the microwave and ahve wondered if it had a similar bone-hardening effect?? I usually leave the meat slightly frozenish still but any thoughts related to flash boiling???

I wouldn't defrost in the microwave. It can cook from the inside out so the bones might be slightly cooked and meat still very raw. I defrost in warm water. It takes forever in the fridge and I don't like to leave it out on the counter...although I admit to doing that occassionally :oops:

I do, however, warm up my cat's food for about 20 seconds in the microwave before I give it to them. For two cats it's about a pound of food so 20 seconds isn't that much. This was actually recommended to me by one of my cat's breeder (who feeds raw) when I was trying to get his finicky butt to accept raw.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm

FransterDoo wrote:I prefer not to HP but my reasoning is that I feed 3 big dogs and a little dog. I defrost food in a bowl (or the sick) filled with warm water.

Anytime I forget to thaw something (which happens about once a week, unfortunately, I do the same thing-- put it (in the packaging) in a bowl and let it sit in warm water until it is thaw enough for feeding.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:08 pm

NEVER defrost raw with bones in a microwave, you are cooking the bones along with the meat, and that will cause the bones to splinter. either defrost in a bowl in warm water, or take out a few days prior to feeding and defrost in the fridge... you can also defrost an entire package , then split it up into smaller baggies and then refreeze so that you only keep out the bags you need.. i did that all the time, defrosted chicken parts in the fridge, separated into little freezer bags, then refroze in freezer as i didnt need 20 lbs of chicken out at once . did the same with beef, venison, etc, as i would get large orders.. so a 10 lb bag i would defrost, the separate into little one lb baggies, then refreeze what i didnt need for that week... no harm done.

Return to “Health Issues”