My resue pup looks too skinny, Advice?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
EWP
Newborn Bully

My resue pup looks too skinny, Advice?

Postby EWP » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:23 pm

So the story goes, I was leaving for work 2 weeks ago and I found this cute as can be pitbull puppy in my alley laying in a garbage bag eating trash. So I stopped to see if he had tags so I could take it back to it's owner. I walk up on the dog and he's covered in dirt, fleas, and ticks and my heart just about stopped! How could someone let this beautiful little guy live like this? so I take him to the front of the house and knock and ring the heck out of the door bell and no one answers. there was a car in the driveway so I left a note on his windshield that said I found a pitbull puppy and left my cell # to call me. After a couple of days I hadn't herd anything so I put up signs on the mail boxes, still nothing. So now Try(my dog) is now a part of my family. when you put food in front of him he just gobbles it up. How long is it going to take for little guy to fill out more and start looking a little bit healthier ? Im feeding him blue buffalo puppy food. Here's a picture from the other day. he weighs about 27 lbs right now.

Let me know if im leaving anything out that would help

This was the day i found him

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Has he been to a vet and been wormed? That's step one, then if he's clear there give him some time, it's only been two weeks, it'll take a while to put some weight on but some puppies are beanpoles and need a lot of food to keep weight on doing growth. How much has he been eating daily?

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:41 pm

APBT's and many other breeds go through a lanky stage from abt 4 months to 8-10 months. I can't tell froom your pic, but that may be all that's going on now.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:46 pm

Fleas carry tapeworm. If he was infested it's a pretty good bet he has tapes. Get him into the vet, bring a fecal sample so they can test it, and make sure he's good to go with everything else before you really begin to worry. Don't over do the food cuz then he'll just get fat and poop a lot more... let his body catch up.

EWP
Newborn Bully

Postby EWP » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:47 pm

GoingPostal wrote:Has he been to a vet and been wormed? How much has he been eating daily?

He hasn't been yet, he's got an appointment for Tuesday, I wasn't sure if I was going to keep him but I've fallen in love with the little guy. He eats pretty good, I try not to just leave food out all the time. He normally eats 2-3 cereal bowls of food a day.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:03 pm

He looks to be a few months old, I wouldn't feed him more than 4 cups a day. 3 being pretty much middle of the road and more than plenty for a days energy needs. Use an actual measuring cup, you'd be surprised how much food you are giving him with a "cereal bowl".

EWP
Newborn Bully

Postby EWP » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:09 pm

cool, i find the pet measuring cup and use that. It's around here somewhere.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:40 pm

Well...the sooner he can see the vet the better. He doesn't look good.
Worms can kill a pup.

EWP
Newborn Bully

Postby EWP » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:36 pm

msvette2u wrote:Well...the sooner he can see the vet the better. He doesn't look good.
Worms can kill a pup.

Totally understand that! He's goin next week on Tuesday. Wish Try the best!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:47 pm

Is there a weekend clinic? Petsmart has a banfield.
The reason I'm concerned is that, maybe it's just the pic but he looks thinner now than when you got him.
He looks dehydrated, too.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:34 am

like everyone else said, you want to worm him, the sooner the better. If he is thin, you want to do four small meals a day, with a mulit vitamin, calcuim supplment, and some salmon oil. And just let a water dish sit out for him. I personally add some warm water to the food, but that's just me. Have you looked at his stool, to see if there are any creepy crawlers in it? Are there any vets open on Saturday, maybe you can get him in there, rather then waiting. Just my thoughts...good luck!!

EWP
Newborn Bully

Postby EWP » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:46 pm

You cant tell from the picture but he is gaining some weight, he's not as skinny as he was when I found him. He has water out for him all day so I've got that covered . I have to wait cause Funds are low and that's payday. I would take him right now but I cant pay the vet with wooden nickles, you know what I'm saying. I've checked out his stool and there's NO little cridders in it. I hope that's a good sign.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:21 pm

EWP wrote:You cant tell from the picture but he is gaining some weight, he's not as skinny as he was when I found him. He has water out for him all day so I've got that covered . I have to wait cause Funds are low and that's payday. I would take him right now but I cant pay the vet with wooden nickles, you know what I'm saying. I've checked out his stool and there's NO little cridders in it. I hope that's a good sign.

Well sometimes.. but most time we just see the sheds of the parasites that are inside.
Whipworm, giardia, and some others are very hard to see even under a microscope.

Parvo can take about 2 weeks to really show its ugly head .. and a loose puppy probably wasnt vaccinated. So I would get those nickels saved up as fast as you can, for it you do start SEEING problems/parasites chances are the infections are really progressed.

Good luck.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:26 pm

ProudMommy77 wrote: If he is thin, you want to do four small meals a day, with a mulit vitamin, calcuim supplment, and some salmon oil.

Do not give a puppy calcium supplements unless directed by a veterinary nutritionist, esp. if you are feeding commercial dog or puppy food. Too much calcium can cause improper bone growth and lead to problems later on. Look for the highest calorie dog food you can find (except Innova EVO, I don't think that's appropriate for puppies but don't quote me on that) and feed small meals multiple times a day. I would talk to a vet who is well versed in nutrition before you add a significant amount of "extras" to his diet.

mamapit311
Newborn Bully

Postby mamapit311 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 pm

I don't have alot of money right now either, I just moved here from NJ.I took my female to Associated Humane in Atlanta for her spay for free. and It would be cheaper to bring my Dogs there for everything else.I really liked the Vet.

Return to “Health Issues”