im changing dog foods

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bluesteel
Adolescent Bully

im changing dog foods

Postby bluesteel » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:51 am

Wasup guys?. I just changed my dogs dry food, i was wondering what you guys thought about Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance potato & duck formula.. ???? :peace:

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:02 am

I give Bear DVP Duck/Potato and he does very well on it.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:37 am

i've been feeding NB L.I.D Venison and Potato for a little over a month, wyatt really likes it......cant say i've noticed a whole lot of difference in his coat, but he does have awesomely disgusting farts.

bluesteel
Adolescent Bully

Postby bluesteel » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:40 am

oh yeah i just started giving it to them today and there loving it, Only thing the stoe that i get it from only sell the 30 pond bag and i have three dogs.

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:02 am

I was not happy for natural gave my dogs bad gas and soft stool and 47.99 for 28 pounds is not great .I would try taste of the wild 42 for 30 pound bag got a six star rating .

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:00 am

I used to feed that and mine did very well. The only downside was that I felt like she was getting a little fat on it, despite feeding her the proper amount based on kcal. I recently switched her to TOTW fish formula (slighly higher protein) and she went back to being leaner. Not sure what the real issue was since she was being fed the same amount of kcal she is now (she is actually getting more calories with TOTW).

Either way I think the NB foods are really good. If your dogs like it and are doing well, I would stick with it! It's certainly one of the best for your buck out there right now.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:54 am

i use the DVP LID allergy formula for my 3 dogs, and they are doing well on it. dont forget, petco has their food on sale alot on their website, and the store has good prices to.. plus there is www.k9cuisine.com that ships food FREE for orders over $50

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:40 am

jlphilli wrote:I used to feed that and mine did very well. The only downside was that I felt like she was getting a little fat on it, despite feeding her the proper amount based on kcal. I recently switched her to TOTW fish formula (slighly higher protein) and she went back to being leaner. Not sure what the real issue was since she was being fed the same amount of kcal she is now (she is actually getting more calories with TOTW).

Either way I think the NB foods are really good. If your dogs like it and are doing well, I would stick with it! It's certainly one of the best for your buck out there right now.

I think it's not so much the calorie content (although that of course plays a part) but the amount of carbs that adds weight. Dogs weren't build to have all kinds of carbs in their diet and too much can certainly pack on the pounds!

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:36 am

My thoughts exactly.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:22 pm

I fed a potato based food to my dogs for a very short period of time, they all got fat even feeding considerably less than the req'd amount. Never again, overall it proved to me that potato isn't a good addition to dog food.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:05 pm

barbponys wrote:I fed a potato based food to my dogs for a very short period of time, they all got fat even feeding considerably less than the req'd amount. Never again, overall it proved to me that potato isn't a good addition to dog food.

I agree.

However, (and I'm not sure how accurate this is, so if I'm wrong let me know!) most, if not all of the "grain free" diets use some kind of potato as a "binder". They have to use something to bind it all together and cook it. Am I totally wrong here? lol

My cats are doing better on a grain free food (TOTW), but one of them is still fat, even though he gets a restricted amount of food (the others never were fat). I think the potato is partly to blame. I wish I could get his fat ass to eat raw, but he won't touch anything but dry cat... not wet food, not chicken, tuna, etc. It's like he's a junk food junkie lol

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:51 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
barbponys wrote:I fed a potato based food to my dogs for a very short period of time, they all got fat even feeding considerably less than the req'd amount. Never again, overall it proved to me that potato isn't a good addition to dog food.

I agree.

However, (and I'm not sure how accurate this is, so if I'm wrong let me know!) most, if not all of the "grain free" diets use some kind of potato as a "binder". They have to use something to bind it all together and cook it. Am I totally wrong here? lol

My cats are doing better on a grain free food (TOTW), but one of them is still fat, even though he gets a restricted amount of food (the others never were fat). I think the potato is partly to blame. I wish I could get his fat ass to eat raw, but he won't touch anything but dry cat... not wet food, not chicken, tuna, etc. It's like he's a junk food junkie lol

Yup, another reason why I won't feed dry food to my dogs...

My cat is the same. She won't touch raw. When she was just little kitten she ate it like there was no tomorrow. After she got really sick, had a deep inner ear infection that required surgery, she won't touch it. She will sniff it but she won't touch it. She loves canned salmon and gets that once a week but other than that? Nada.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:00 pm

barbponys wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:

I agree.

Yup, another reason why I won't feed dry food to my dogs...

My cat is the same. She won't touch raw. When she was just little kitten she ate it like there was no tomorrow. After she got really sick, had a deep inner ear infection that required surgery, she won't touch it. She will sniff it but she won't touch it. She loves canned salmon and gets that once a week but other than that? Nada.

This is why I've switched to raw :)

Cats are finicky little turds lol

My fat boy almost died last year from hepatic lipidosis (a liver disease brought on by not eating) when he refused to eat Felidae after their formula change (which I was unaware of at the time). He hadn't eaten for about 24hrs. About 3k later and 3 weeks of e-tube feedings, he came through. So I'm too afraid to try and let him be hungry for a day and see if he'll eat raw, even though I know that's what's best for him.

Oh well!!

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:47 pm

I havent had any problem with potato in Grendel's diet, he is very lean, eats about 3 cups of orijen a day.
Heard really good things about NB food so I would say give it a go OP

ps, my cat is so not finickey he will eat raw :P (and dog treats... and banana muffins, ran off with a few the other day :P )

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:50 pm

starrlamia wrote:I havent had any problem with potato in Grendel's diet, he is very lean, eats about 3 cups of orijen a day.
Heard really good things about NB food so I would say give it a go OP

ps, my cat is so not finickey he will eat raw :P (and dog treats... and banana muffins, ran off with a few the other day :P )

Haha I wish my cat would!!

My other three love canned food, meat scraps, tuna, etc.... and they are all lean and healthy. The fatty only likes his kibble. Period. lol

I didn't have a problem with my dogs gaining weight from the potato (or grains), I just wanted to go for a more natural approach to nutrition.

Return to “Health Issues”