How long to feed puppy food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

How long to feed puppy food?

Postby Lisalrenee » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:53 pm

What's the current opinion on puppy food? I've heard to keep them on it 'til 6 months by some sources, 12 months by others. My vet was somewhat noncommittal, and told me to just follow my instinct.

Zoe will be 9 months old next week. Should I keep her on it a bit longer, or start the transition to adult?

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:18 pm

I honestly, seriously, truthfully and any other word I can think of... don't think "Puppy formulas" offer a damn thing more than the next formula of the same manufacturer. A quality grain-free kibble that agrees with *your* dog is good for all life stages; needed supplementation is always good.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Now is the time...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:05 pm

Puppy foods are higher in protein, fat, and nutrients than other foods.

"All life stages" foods are just puppy foods marketed for all dogs.

Continue to feed to your dogs ideal body condition at all times. Puppy foods contain more calories and your pups metabolism will slow as she ages, and when she's spayed too!

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:27 pm

I haven't fed puppy food to any of my dogs in... over 12 years. Adult food has worked just fine.

retro
Adolescent Bully

Postby retro » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:29 pm

i wean pups onto either a raw diet, or onto diamond naturals extreme athlete. i haven't fed a "puppy food" in years now.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:10 pm

I agree with the above. Feed a high quality, adult food.

Puppies do, however, require more calories per pound then their adult counterparts, so just feed more to fufill their nutritional requirements.

Keep an eye on his weight. Feed accordingly. While young puppies have a bit of that puppy belly, you don't want him to be overweight. They often go through a gangly stage as adolescents too, so don't try to "fatten him up" during this stage. Better to be a bit thin to have excess fat on his growing bones/joints.

:thumbsup:

bluesteel
Adolescent Bully

Postby bluesteel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 am

I dont feed puppy food either, But i would say if you do feed puppy food at least until their 6 months. The dog food i use now is for puppys and adult dogs tho.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:59 pm

WackyJacki wrote:I agree with the above. Feed a high quality, adult food.

There are a lot of high quality adult foods that are still not appropriate for puppies. Natural Balance is one that comes immediately to mind... far too low on protein, probably other things too... but its still in my top 5 adult foods.

Just because its high quality doesn't mean its good for puppies. There needs to be a minimum of 25% protein, and it should be labeled for puppies or all life stages.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:I agree with the above. Feed a high quality, adult food.

There are a lot of high quality adult foods that are still not appropriate for puppies. Natural Balance is one that comes immediately to mind... far too low on protein, probably other things too... but its still in my top 5 adult foods.

Just because its high quality doesn't mean its good for puppies. There needs to be a minimum of 25% protein, and it should be labeled for puppies or all life stages.

Very true :)

The breed plays a factor too. Calcium and protien content are a factor for the XL breeds like Great Danes, and most puppy foods have too high a protein content for giant breeds.

Return to “Health Issues”