Rex and Bronte were attacked by a cat...help:(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Rex and Bronte were attacked by a cat...help:(

Postby lauren99 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 pm

I just got a call from my dog walkers and apparently a small cat stalked the dogs and then chased them and attacked them...my dog walker kicked the cat away and it tried to go after him. Bronte is more scratched up then Rex but i couldnt believe the aggressiveness of this cat.

The cat then sat down 15 feet away from the dogs and was foaming at the mouth and growling. Animal control was called and the RCMP also showed up to catch this cat...i guess one of the RCMP had his taser ready as this cat was super aggressive.

The cat was then taken down to the vet clinic and euthanized and is being sent off to the canadian food and drug to be checked for rabies. Im really hoping its not rabies as it is very rare in our area but the way the cat was acting I dont know :sad:

I asked what would happen if the cats results came back as positive and the vet told me my guys have to go in quarantine...and since I live in a condo they would have to go to the vets for something like 2-3 weeks and if they show signs then they would have to be pts.

Does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong with this cat besides rabies? The vet clinic said I would be notified of the results by Thursday.

the worst part is the dogs had an appt tomorrow to go get shots including rabies as they are both outdated. I feel like a horrible doggy mom :sad:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:15 pm

No clue, but how scary!! :(
Follow your vets recommendations to the T.
Did he say you could get their shots boosted today??

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:17 pm

I asked him about the shots and he said that god forbid they did contract rabies that the shot wont be effective being given after but both dogs are going in on Thursday to get their shots and an exam..pending the outcome of the reults from the cat

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:18 pm

:pray that the cat turns out negative.
Here in WA, the most common carrier of rabies is bats.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Sending lots of positve thoughts that the test is negative. :hug:

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:01 pm

How outdated are the vaccines? Rabies vaccines can last 5-7 years, maybe longer, I don't know.

Cats don't generally attack out of the blue and the behavior of the cat sounds strikingly like rabies. It could alternatively be another neurological disorder or some other physical problem. I've seen a couple distemper cats react aggressively, but nothing on that scale. Hopefully, you'll find out the results soon!

But even if the cat DID have rabies, if you've vaccinated within the past 5 years, there's a good chance your dogs are fine. Would they allow for a 10-day in-house or in-kennel quarantine versus the shelter?

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:04 pm

Oh my gosh, how scary!

Sending positive thoughts to you and your gang!

Libby

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:26 pm

The vet said that I could do an at home quarantine if I lived in a house but being in a condo is out of the question being as there are a to of other dogs and cats along with people of course and I doubt my dogs would use puppy pads being as they are older and fully house trained.

Both dogs are rescues so I am not sure when or if they have ever had the rabies vaccine. Rex has had a bad reaction to another vaccine so I didn't really want to do them anymore and seeing as rabies is so so rare in BC and the dogs are never off leash ect I didn't see it being a huge deal...now I feel like an idiot for not getting it done.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:52 pm

:hugs:

I hope they're ok!!!!!

Rabies is way too prevalent here. I looked it up at the Texas Dept of State Health site and what they said was

When a Known Rabid Animal Bites a Dog or Cat
Unvaccinated dogs and cats bitten by a known rabid animal should be destroyed immediately. If the owner is unwilling to have this done, the animal should be vaccinated and placed in strict isolation for 90 days and given booster vaccinations during the third and eighth weeks of isolation. If the animal is currently vaccinated, it should be revaccinated immediately and restrained (leashing and confinement) for 45 days.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Wow that's scary?? 90 days? Oh I really hope the results come back as negative. I doubt I will get any sleep until thursday:( thanks for the responses guys..I appreciate the support.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:21 am

Hence the reason why rabies vaccines are SO IMPORTANT... I would have skipped parvo before I skipped rabies.

Fingers crossed the cat tests negative!

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:49 am

I hope the cat is negative. In Florida, it is not uncommon at all for humans to get attacked by rabid animals, often foxes. You hear about it every summer.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:38 am

Here's it's a SIX MONTH quarantine if an unvaccinated/expired vaccinated (for Rabies) dog comes in contact with a rabid wild animal.

If the dog is currently vaccinated it's only 30 days' quarantine.

I hope the cat tests negative. Ouch.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Hence the reason why rabies vaccines are SO IMPORTANT... I would have skipped parvo before I skipped rabies.

Fingers crossed the cat tests negative!

If the rabies were current, how would that change the scenario?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:17 am

if both dogs are rescues, wouldnt the rescue/shelter have records you could get copies of?

Return to “Health Issues”