Rex and Bronte were attacked by a cat...help:(

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:24 pm

Murfins wrote:Interesting. I wonder if pet owners are aware of the quarantine procedure IF their animal happens to come into contact with a possible rabid animal?

BC has a high occurance of bats with rabies (as does Alberta) according to a government site.

i'd like to think that people are aware of the quarantine period, but the cynic in the back of my head reminds me that most people don't pay attention to that kind of thing. i personally am aware, and most people i know are aware, but i'm sure you know all too well that the general public is not always interested/informed.

that's true about the bats. i live in the city, so (sadly) there aren't many bats around here. but i grew up in alberta (and other more 'rural' places), and i was always told that if a bat bites you then you get rabies. not true, i realise, but when you're a kid you'll believe anything, and i thought that all bats were rabid! same with raccoons now that i come to think of it... i guess i was a pretty gullible kid.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks Kayte, yes rabies being so rare here is not always a vaccine that is given. Bronte is currently a foster (for now lol) and I did have an appt. to have it done 1 day after the cat attack but seeing as my dogs are not off leash ever nor in contact with strange animals I didn't see it overly necessary to vaccinate them.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:00 pm

I would venture that the majority of "average" dog owners have no idea about the degree of the quarantine process and/or possible outcome if their dog comes in contact with a possible rabid animal.

That is really interesting about the rabies vaccine not being mandatory - I must say I was totally ignorant on that fact and just :oops: that it was mandatory throughout Canada.

Please update on Thursday when you find out about the cat. Until then, I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks for the support and I will update this thread as soon as I get the results!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:27 pm

I thought it was mandatory too.. I am in BC.
Thinking good thoughts for your dogs...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 pm

lauren99 wrote:
Misskiwi67- so if the cat comes back positive then I could also be at risk through bronte? And seeing as how Rex does have a current rabies shot, his chance of contracting it is very slim..correct?

If they have been vaccinated more than once, your risk of exposure is almost nothing.

Your risk of exposure, or exposing other people through your dogs is actually more of a legal matter. If the vaccine was not CURRENT in the eyes of the law, your dog may or may not be considered vaccinated. Again, it all depends on your local laws, and who's going to go on a power trip or not.

Its great that he was vaccinated though, that means you won't have issues with finding a quarrantine facility if it becomes an issue... vets usually know vaccines last longer in the body than they do legally.

For the pup who's rabies is current, he might only need a booster vaccine, or even nothing at all. Again, its all based on local laws.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:03 am

I believe the laws where she lives do not require the vac at all, so there is no liability on any party's side there.

This sure is a good reminder to me to double check that everyone in my home is covered though!

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:47 pm

Whew - I am nervous! I hope it was just a crazy assed cat. We will be waiting your update, best best best wishes!

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:04 pm

I hope all is well! Cats can be mean mo fos!

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Did you get any news??

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:25 pm

lauren99 wrote:seeing as my dogs are not off leash ever nor in contact with strange animals I didn't see it overly necessary to vaccinate them.

The problem with that, is rabies is a virus that can come TO YOU. You don't have to go to it.

So, it doesn't matter how responsible you are by keeping your dogs on leash. Any infected animal can(and usually does) come to you.

You can only control 50% of the problem(your dog), that's why you vaccinate, to protect against the other 50%(the animal). Even if it is rare - it's not non-existent.

I hope the results come back negative. *Fingers Crossed*

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Waiting for results! I really hope it's negative! It's so scary something like this happened :sad:

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:34 am

An interesting fact for those who don't know:

Bats are very interesting creatures. They are common "carriers" of rabies, which means the disease does not affect them, but they carry it and can spread it.

So, unlike other mammals that will show symptoms of the disease, a bat will not.

Also, rodents are almost entirely immune. It is very, very unlikely that one can catch rabies from a rodent bite.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:54 pm

So very good news!! The cat came back negative for rabies!!!! Apparently though the cat had some extensive brain damage (how they can tell that i do not know). Anyways I am very relieved!

Thanks again for all the support. What a gongshow week!

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:50 pm

That's great news! Poor kitty :frown:

Return to “Health Issues”