Dog acted drunk like and twitched!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Dog acted drunk like and twitched!

Postby The Fate » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:39 pm

Any of you guys ever heard about a dog doing this?

Signs: Drunk like walking, head moving back and forth like a twitching slow motion and inflamed red eyes

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:46 pm

posioned? seizures?
if this was my dog, I'd be at the vet.

natebritchcock
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby natebritchcock » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

yeah, take your pup to the vet for sure.....i googled it and saw everything from Ear infections, spinal-cord inflammation, and tumors. (i only searched your dogs issue with walking)

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:25 pm

I'd make a beeline for the E-vet myself.

Good luck; and please let us know how you make out!

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:37 pm

EVet +4

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:23 pm

e-vet x 5

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:07 am

Marley acted like that when he ate some ibuprofen... it's toxic for dogs and he was being poisoned. He needed a trip to the vet, overnight stay and a few weeks of medication to help his tummy recover (it was just antacid... AFTER the vet treatment)

x6 for a trip to the vet.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

X a million-- Go to the vet!

Postby *ruckus* » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 am

My first dog, years ago, started acting like that-- he was stumbling around, and kinda walked up to me, looked up, and his feet slid out from under him... Then he started twitching a bit and red eyes rolling back in his head... Drove 90 MPH to the Evet and he was definitely poisoned...they had to pump his stomach and keep him overnight, then we had to bring him to the normal vet for another overnight stay. Turns out, the culprit was that he had gotten into the recycling (I was 17 living with 6 friends, so it was a lot of beer bottles with cigarette butts in them), and turns out he had nicotine poisoning...SO SCARY. Wiped out my bank accounts and all my savings, thank god I was working two jobs! Anyway, the vet told me that if I had been half an hour later, he wouldn't have made it. So, I'm hoping that the OP has already taken care of this... Let us know what happens, wish your puppy the best!

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:00 am

My girl Gypsy acted like that, then she laid down and had a full on siezure. She was bitten by a venomous spider,and had to go to the vet and stay there for a couple days. It was a horrible nightmare.

Libby

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:36 pm

Well I had called my uncle that night (Certified Vet) and he told me he hoped that he didnt get into any anti-freeze from the parking lot, said 2 teaspoons can kill him and that he thinks he might be poisoned but to keep a good eye on him thruout the night and if he starts throwing up then take him in to the overnight hospital.

Which I did of course, he was fine thruout the night he just went to sleep, prayed I wouldnt wake up to a dead dog. Woke up and this lil rascal was back to his normal self, running around, waggin his tail, he ate fine. So I figured inless It happens again i'll just save the trip to the vet. The only thing i can think of which was the cause was an allergic reaction to a new toy i had just bought him. The only thing i noticed was he has gas really bad right now lol... So i dont know what it was but hope i never have to go thru that again... Thought he was gonna pass out on me

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 pm

It's a bad idea to wait for him to throw up - they don't always do that. If the poisoned object moves into their intestines, they aren't going to throw it up and they still absorb the toxin through their digestive track.

Don't wait it out, go to the vet right away next time.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Could he have gotten into anything during the day?

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:00 pm

BrokenAquarian wrote:It's a bad idea to wait for him to throw up - they don't always do that. If the poisoned object moves into their intestines, they aren't going to throw it up and they still absorb the toxin through their digestive track.

Don't wait it out, go to the vet right away next time.

Yea I know I didnt want to, but the thing was it was midnight and the only option I had was wait it out or goto the Animal hospital which we all know i woulda walked out of there 2,000 dollars less richer.

Allie wrote:Could he have gotten into anything during the day?

The only other thing I can think of was my dad told me around 3pm he licked up some a small ammount mold that built up on the side of the house... But why would it take til midnight for effects to show? It had to be the new toy

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:16 pm

If it was my pup, I would still se a regular vet and ask for bloodwork. SOMETHING obviously happened to the pup. Sounds like poison/something ingested and if it was there could be organ damage.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:30 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:If it was my pup, I would still se a regular vet and ask for bloodwork. SOMETHING obviously happened to the pup. Sounds like poison/something ingested and if it was there could be organ damage.

X2... The vet gave us some pills after Marley recovered from his ibuprofen incident to make sure that his kidneys didn't shut down, he also had pepcid AC to help his stomache recover.

Return to “Health Issues”