Dog acted drunk like and twitched!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 pm

If you wait until a dog that ate antifreeze starts vomiting they are essentially dead anyway... you've waited for the renal failure to become clinical, and its too late to use fluids to keep the kidney tubules open until they heal.

I'm assuming your vet honestly didn't think the dog got into antifreeze, because if he did, that was terrible advice.

I'm glad your pup is doing better. LOTS of toxicities can cause seizure-like episodes... snail bait, chocolate and flea medications come to mind because I've seen all three the past 6 months.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:57 am

The Fate wrote:
BrokenAquarian wrote:It's a bad idea to wait for him to throw up - they don't always do that. If the poisoned object moves into their intestines, they aren't going to throw it up and they still absorb the toxin through their digestive track.

Don't wait it out, go to the vet right away next time.

Yea I know I didnt want to, but the thing was it was midnight and the only option I had was wait it out or goto the Animal hospital which we all know i woulda walked out of there 2,000 dollars less richer.

Allie wrote:Could he have gotten into anything during the day?

The only other thing I can think of was my dad told me around 3pm he licked up some a small ammount mold that built up on the side of the house... But why would it take til midnight for effects to show? It had to be the new toy

See, that's just it. $2000 dollars poorer or a dead dog. It's just money and I would rather spend that than lose my dog... E-vets are insanely expensive, but if your dog is poisoned? It's just not much of a question in my book. That's what plastic is all about.

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:22 pm

I hear ya but man but Im not made of money, I got bills to pay.
But yea if something like that ever happens again ima take him in right away, but like I said hes back to normal...better than ever just with Gas

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:32 pm

I'd say you got very lucky.

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:11 pm

Allie wrote:I'd say you got very lucky.

Honestly i regret not going, its killing me to not know what that was or
what caused it... not im gonna be all parinoid on what kind of toy to give him... and that prolly aint even the issue...

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:43 pm

The Fate wrote:
Allie wrote:I'd say you got very lucky.

Honestly i regret not going, its killing me to not know what that was or
what caused it... not im gonna be all parinoid on what kind of toy to give him... and that prolly aint even the issue...

You can still go and get blood work done and this may shed some light on things/what happened... good to hear that next time you would go straight in as sometimes is life and death.... have you considered pet insurance, can be quite reasonable especially if you go with say just accident coverage...

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:26 pm

And look ahead of time for a vet who has an emergency call service. Many of our vets here in WI have an on-call service for after hours. If something happens at night or on SUnday, you call their answering service, and the on-call vet will call you right back to talk about what happened. If necessary, they'll meet you at the clinic. The charge is a bit more than regular appointments, but much much less than the emergency vet, plus you get to work with your regular vet clinic. Perhaps this doesn't exist in other states, but because many of our local clinics offer this service, I bet other places do as well. Looking around a bit ahead of time for a vet who can do this will give you a lot of peace of mind. (In WI, vets who offer this make it clear on their websites or yellow pages listings). This may be more common with rural vets.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm

The Fate wrote:I hear ya but man but Im not made of money, I got bills to pay.
But yea if something like that ever happens again ima take him in right away, but like I said hes back to normal...better than ever just with Gas

I'm not made of money either, far from it. I have a lot of bills to pay, but I can't imagine letting something like this go with a wait and see attitude. My luck would have not been as good as yours, guaranteed.

Return to “Health Issues”