Administering Shots Yourself

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SupriseInside
Bully Ambassador

Administering Shots Yourself

Postby SupriseInside » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:43 pm

Does anyone on her administer your dogs shots yourself? I've always given shots to my dogs myself. Except Rabies. Does anyone else do this? I just use the Solo-Jec 7 in 1.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes, I do, but I always just buy the shots from my vet. I'm sure I could get them cheaper elsewhere, but I've never looked.

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:23 pm

I have always done my own immunizations. I do take the serial # and the date given for my vet to add to the records.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:41 pm

We don't recognize vaccines given at home. We do not know if they were given appropriately, mixed appropriately, shipped appropriately or stored appropriately.

I've seen breeders split a vial of vaccine between all the pups in a litter... essentially a waste of their time and money, but they don't know any better.

Its up to you if you want to try to save a buck, but you often get what you pay for. I've never heard of that particular vaccine, and chances are its cheap, old technology. You want to use modified live wherever possible, and only a few companies have developed modified live combo vaccines.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 pm

We purchase these and vaccinate with them.
http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/product.a ... &pf_id=725

They are MLV.
$1.65/vax but add S&H and it goes up to about $3-4.00/vax.
But if you don't use 25 -50 vax in 6mos., it's pointless lol

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:03 am

NONE of the vets we use recognize vaccines given at home by anyone - yourself, breeder, rescue, etc.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:24 am

Wow, that's not good!
We have been very lucky - our adopters take the paperwork in and the vet transfers it over, as a rule.
We've even had a few call us to clarify what's been given.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 am

Our vet does recognize the shots I give-- usually because I purchase the vaccines from them and most often give them right there in the office. It just saves me about $10-15 to do it while they watch me instead of having their tech do it. :dunno: But I did also intern at that office and was taught by that vet.

barbponys
Health Guru

Postby barbponys » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:50 am

My vet has always recognized the vaccines I used to administer. Any vaccines that have been given recently(last 4 years) were done by the vet.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:21 am

my vet doesn't have a issue with it, it saves me a ton of money. She does my rabies, in PA that's required to be done by a vet, or you can actually apply with the state to get certified, but generally only breeders do it.

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:43 am

We include the label from the vaccine vials with all adoption paperwork and haven't had any problems with that yet.

SupriseInside
Bully Ambassador

Postby SupriseInside » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 am

Its definantly not cheap or old technology. My vet sees no problem with me administering it myself. It IS a modified live virus.

Solo-Jec- 7 Plus
Canine Distemper-Adenovirus Type 2-Parainfluenza-Parvovirus Vaccine modified live virus Leptospira Bacterin. Solo-Jec®7 Plus vaccine is a combination of antigenic, attenuated strains of canine distemper, parainfluenza, CAV-2 and parvovirus propagated in cell line tissue cultures. The liquid diluent is parvovirus vaccine-Leptospira canicola-icterohaemorrhagiae bacterin.

Manufacturer:
Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc. 2621 North Belt HwySt. Joseph, MO 64506-2002

Here's a link.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/solo-jec-7-plus.html

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:38 am

The cost of a vaccine is so little in comparison with other costs, I don't see the point in doing it myself. And yes, I know how, and have done it when I worked for a vet. But the dogs have to go in for their exam anyway, and most places charge less for a vaccine exam, so the vet may just as well give the vaccine, and save me the concern about how it's been transported and stored.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:43 am

buckaroo wrote:We include the label from the vaccine vials with all adoption paperwork and haven't had any problems with that yet.

Yeah we paste all the labels from what we use on the adoption paperwork.

Rabies can't be done by anyone but a vet here, so we get those there.

Return to “Health Issues”