Recommended Joint Supplements?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Recommended Joint Supplements?

Postby lpyrbby » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:36 pm

We've got a dog in our foster program who is...well he's poorly built poor thing.

We took him in for xrays today and all looks well so they put him on Deramaxx for pain for a week. He's not acting right now so I'm having his foster mom take him off the meds.

I want to try a joint supplement and have NO clue where to begin.

Austin's elbows are splayed out "bully style" however, he could just be overcompensating for his bowed out rear. He's favoring his left rear leg and chooses to "slide" over to where he wants to be while sitting as opposed to actually getting up and sitting back down. He seems to struggle a bit from sit to stand and vice versa.

The xrays showed NO irritation whatsoever. No inflammation. The ball and sockets met together normally so nothing seems amiss.

Any recommendations so we can start helping him improve his ability to function and enjoy life a little more without drugging him up on things that make him feel like crap.

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:02 pm

I use to buy Synflex and loved it until one of my cats started getting sick on it, I then switched to Cosequin, which seems good.

I also make sure my animals all get salmon oil and am looking into active Manuka honey and l-glutamine, which I've heard great things about.

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:18 pm

My dog was recently put on Dasuquin, which is made by the people who make Cosequin but is a stronger, more cost effective product.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:36 pm

I recommend anything that has Hyaluronic Acid in it... I gave my old horse a joint supplement that was glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin... but he didn't really improve until I tried the one with Hyaluronic acid.

I told that to my mom (who has bad hips) and she found a human supplement with it, and it worked wonders for her hip too. lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Glucosamine/Chondroitin, either a human supplement or Cosequin/Dasuquin

Fatty acids, usually in the form of fish oil, 1000 mg per 50 pounds. Again, there are human capsules or pet products available.

Low impact exercise and weight management are also essential. Swimming and walking are great, no running or jumping. Keep him lean enough that ribs are easily seen to minimize the weight on the joints.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:20 am

I like this for our joint problem dogs.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

(Farnam) Now with MSM. A unique new liquid flex product that has all of the major GAG producing ingredients, Glucosamine sulfate, Perna mussel, Ester C, plus shark cartilage that converts to chondroitin sulfate after entering the joint capsule. All active ingredients are in a special enzyme digestive solution called bromelain, designed to absorb the rest of the active igredients into the blood stream faster and more efficiently. A secondary benefit, bromelain is also an anti-inflammatory. Cherry flavored liquid.

Although it's "for" horses, on the back there's dog dosages too.
I gave this to Copper after his first back incident and he didn't ever have issues after that.

Tristan isn't on it now due to allergies (trying to figure out what's what right now) but the puppy with the broken leg, Oso/Sirius, is on it.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:40 am

I'd LOVE to find something that's got all the goodies conveniently packaged lol Austin is about 40lbs so I surely wouldn't want to be giving him too much.

Are there any supplements out there with Yucca? I know horses have them but in my brief browse around last night, I didn't see anything.

And someone mentioned Dasequin, my MIL's dog was put on that a while back since she's blown out her knees. This poor dog also is damn near allergic to everything. The Dasequin - she was allergic too because it contains Brewer's Yeast. Just an FYI. I know not every dog has her issues but its something to be aware of methinks.

Hopefully I'll have more time to research things today. In the mean time, please continue to share your suggestions! :)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:54 pm

I use Osteo-BiFlex (human pills) That is what was recommended by my vet. I do use cosequin for my cat though.

titan
Newborn Bully

Postby titan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:33 pm

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:40 pm

We've had excellent results with Dasuquin.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:37 pm

We used salmon oil (for the omega 3s) and dasequin, which was expensive. After the bottle of dasequin was empty, we switched to the Costco brand (Kirklands) of glucosamine/chondroitin, which was recommended by Consumer Reports as the best buy for people. I can't really tell if it's working any better or the same as dasequin, but she likes the pills, and since they can't hurt her, I figure it's worth the small price. (We still give salmon oil as well).

Return to “Health Issues”