Stripped Vocal Cords?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Stripped Vocal Cords?

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:00 am

We have candie our rescue. She honestly doesn't bark...she more or less whines and does this lost voice bark. We thought it was strange when we first got her, but still have not heard her do a "real" bark.

I was talking to a person who fosters pit bulls and saw candie and I was describing it to her and tried to get candie to do that bark and she did. She said it sounds like her vocal cords were cut? She said they do this for breeding dogs to shut them up???
Is this true?

I still have not had candy to our regular vet since we got her in febuary. Honestly, I am not to happy with the way Mongo's euthansia went and trying to find a new one. Candie did get a check up at the vet the animal shelter recomended us to(free of charge), but that was a few days after we got her. (also, dh lost his job the day after we got candie---he is a union iron worker so jobs are crazy right now thanks to the economy-he is back working starting tomorrow-and I am thinking about taking her to a vet-I need to get heartworm/flea pills anyways).

Ok, I just rambled...sorry.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:05 am

darn no edit:

Also, she sounds gaspy after running around for awhile. She loves to do zoomies, but she sounds gaspy? afterwards.

anyone recommend a vet near joliet, IL that is great with pits and reasonable?

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:11 am

Maybe she's had debarking surgery? I didn't think vets even did that anymore. (I know it's illegal in my province). As far as I know it means she would have had surgery to remove part of her vocal cords to stop barking (or at least make it quiet, they are supposed to sound like a whispered bark).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debarking

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:16 am

I have seen it done to collies! :crybaby: :yucky:
When I worked for a vet there was another vet next door and he used to do this all the time. Ughhh I hated it. Glad, my vet said NO WAY and would't do it.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:18 am

Does she has any small scar on her throat? If a vocal cordectomy (debarking) was done through an incision in the dog's throat there is a scar.Unless the vet worked through the mouth.The surgery does not prevent dogs from barking, they still bark as much as they did before but it is less loud since the amount of tissue on the dog's vocal cords is reduced.The sounds you are hearing could be something else.How long have you had her for? Is it like a dry, hacking cough that mostly happens right after she does some activities or exercise?

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:27 am

She does have some hair missing right by her throat...kinda like it was shaved there-it is almost grown back though or it may not grow back(i mean 5 months at the shelter it should of by now). I will look in the morning more in depth for a scar. Everytime i go to observe it more i just get tons and tons of kisses! LOL!

I have had her since Febuary 7, 2009.
It is hard to explain what she does. Gosh I wish my camera had sound on it or I would record it. Either way she needs to go to the vet(even if I have to bring her to our regular vet :frown: ).

I almost call it doggie asthma sounding(my son has asthma).... does that help?

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 am

i didnt hear my dog bark until i had her for 2 months. now its nonstop.

the other symptoms sound like she needs to be checked out and probably get some xrays.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:39 pm

gaspy sounds could be heart problems, so they should be checked out. Our ancient husky just had chest x-rays for her gaspy sounds, but the vet didn't find anything. Next up is a tracheoscope, to check her trachea for problems.

Return to “Health Issues”