Flea and heartworm question-what pill?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Flea and heartworm question-what pill?

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:38 am

I used before frontline and sentinel on my dog(shihtzu) before I had 2 kids. For the past 4 years she has just been on interceptor and no flea product.
Well, last summer we had a flea outbreak. Luckily only she got it and not Mongo or the cat at the time. I saw them in the yard and hubby got some stuff to kill it in the yard(we live in a townhome and our yards connect very close)...our neighbor had us do theirs too(they have a dog).

So, this year i would like to do the right flea and heartworm product(we have alot of mosquitos and love to take walks in the forest preserve).

When I worked at the vet about 8 years ago I felt up to date. Now, I feel clueless.

Should I still use frontline and sentinel? I need to go get this asap.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:46 am

I went with Revolution this year. I had to get it anyways for my little one because she had scabies. I figured I'd give it a shot and got a year's worth for both of them.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:12 am

I forgot about revolution-that was just coming out about that time I believe. Never read up on it. That is heartworm and flea in one right?
I figured I will buy the first dose from the vet(whatever I buy) and the rest probally from 1-800 Pet meds if they are cheaper.

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:47 am

I still use Frontline Plus and Heartgard. They work for us.
Last year we tried a new flea product from the vet (can't remember the name), it was more expensive.

luvmybulls
Newborn Bully

Postby luvmybulls » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:44 pm

IlovemyMONGO wrote:I forgot about revolution-that was just coming out about that time I believe. Never read up on it. That is heartworm and flea in one right?
I figured I will buy the first dose from the vet(whatever I buy) and the rest probally from 1-800 Pet meds if they are cheaper.

Yea. Revolution is supposed to be heartworm and flea and tick in one. My vets prices were identical to 1800petmeds. $170 for 12 months per dog.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:47 pm

personally i'd do interceptor and frontline. sentinel has an extra ingredient that sterilizes fleas, but unless you have a bad flea problem, if you're using frontline, you really don't need it. (plus sentinel is crazy expensive)

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:36 pm

I would pay that for revolution for a 12 month supply. I want her on year round heartworm.

That is a good idea about the interceptor and frontline. I like that idea.

Choices! Choices! LOL, I swear my kids are not that hard to figure out when it comes to meds. lol
:-)

biggggant
Newborn Bully

Postby biggggant » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:20 pm

my vet started us on revolution but he said after Diesel gets his rabies vac he wants to do a flea drop and separate heatworm pill...

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:08 am

I have heard of many dogs getting heartworm on Revolution. The company pays for treatment.. but still! For this reason, the vet I worked for does not carry it. I would feel much better using Interceptor/Sentinel or Heartgard.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Revolution kicks flea butts... but its just good enough on heartworm to get FDA approval. If you live in a heartworm prevalent area, I'd go with a different heartworm product.

Its also not great for ticks, but you get 2 free Preven-tick collars (which really do work!!) with a purchase of a year supply of revolution.

If the fleas are the problem and you want to do heartworm just in case... revolution is my favorite by far. Its alcohol based and is absorbed quickly, and I'm yet to see a reaction to it.

If heartworm is your primary need and you want to cover fleas and ticks too... then Frontline/heartguard is my favorite for that.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Well, we went walking in our forest area this past week and she got 2 ticks from not even wandering off the trail. ughhh...so tick preventative is a must too.
Heartworm is big in my area(we are right by the River-Dupage river and illinois river).

I think I am going to do interceptor/Frontline. :thumbsup:

Thank you everyone. :-)

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Fri May 15, 2009 11:22 am

I JUST switched from HeartGuard to Interceptor last week - I'm pleased at the additional parasite coverage and dunno why I didn't look into it sooner. I'm wondering, tho, if it counts as "worming" ?? We only wormed her once or twice in the first 6 months that we had her (been almost 4 years now) and a few times, she's chewed on dead rats and birds and possums in our yard - it was suggested to me to worm her perhaps once a year just to ber safe -- BUT does a dose of interceptor count as a formal worming? (I'm using Frontline for fleas)

Nala
Newborn Bully

Postby Nala » Fri May 15, 2009 12:55 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I JUST switched from HeartGuard to Interceptor last week - I'm pleased at the additional parasite coverage and dunno why I didn't look into it sooner. I'm wondering, tho, if it counts as "worming" ?? We only wormed her once or twice in the first 6 months that we had her (been almost 4 years now) and a few times, she's chewed on dead rats and birds and possums in our yard - it was suggested to me to worm her perhaps once a year just to ber safe -- BUT does a dose of interceptor count as a formal worming? (I'm using Frontline for fleas)

From what my vet told me, Interceptor works for all worms except tapeworms, so if that's what you're worried about then you'll need a separate dewormer for that. I could be wrong though, but I asked them about it yesterday, and that's what the tech said.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:40 pm

HappyPuppy wrote:I'm wondering, tho, if it counts as "worming" ??

Yes, it does... except with puppies who tend to have unusually high numbers of parasites.

Bluebear
Super Bully

Postby Bluebear » Fri May 15, 2009 7:36 pm

I use Sentinel and Comfortis. I love the Comfortis because it's a pill and I don't have to deal with the icky topical stuff on them--I just don't trust it. I love Sentinel because it covers ALL common parasites and sterilizes fleas, too. For ticks, I just check them over whenever we get back from being in the woods--same thing I do for me and DH!

BTW, tapeworms come from fleas, so if you have fleas under control, tapes won't be an issue. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”