Beginner to feeding RAW. Need Help.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jcrazy
Newborn Bully

Beginner to feeding RAW. Need Help.

Postby jcrazy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello,

I want to get into a raw diet for my dogs.

They are on Innova's Evo right now. Should I go from Evo to Raw as a quick switch? Or feed Evo 1 day, Raw the next day?

Also what are some examples of a raw diet that I could give to my dogs for 1 day?

Thanks!

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:47 pm

The best place to start is at the stickies at the top of this forum page - they may appear long, but there are a lot of issues covered. Research before you start the switch, and you'll be a lot happier with your choices and their results.

Good luck!

barbponys
Health Guru

Re: Beginner to feeding RAW. Need Help.

Postby barbponys » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:57 pm

jcrazy wrote:Hello,

I want to get into a raw diet for my dogs.

They are on Innova's Evo right now. Should I go from Evo to Raw as a quick switch? Or feed Evo 1 day, Raw the next day?

Also what are some examples of a raw diet that I could give to my dogs for 1 day?

Thanks!

FWIW, I've never done any kind of slow transition. They go from whatever they were eating prior to coming to my house to raw. Aside from occasional loose stools and mucus-y poop(totally normal) I've never had issues.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:30 am

I've just started raw, and it's going wonderfully. The dogs LOVE it (no surprise there!)

Do some major research before you dive into it. It's not rocket science, but you should really educate yourself before you go for it.

Informative websites:

www.rawlearning.com
http://www.4loveofdog.com/menu.htm
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/animals.htm

There are several books that are very helpful too (some follow the BARF style, others prey model, which is what I use):

http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Complet ... ral-Health
http://www.amazon.com/Work-Wonders-Feed-Meaty-Bones
http://www.amazon.com/Real-Dogs-Kibble- ... ly-Healthy

These links should be enough to get you started :thumbsup:

Good luck!

inkaddiction
Newborn Bully

Postby inkaddiction » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:27 am

B.A.R.F is a good resource too.....it can be overwhelming in the beginning......We rescued an older Rott & a Chow the owner had left chained out side when the temps were in the teen, and he MOVED to Texas and just left the dogs

We got them to the vet and found out the Rott has Disc Disease & Bone Cancer, another rescue reccommened a RAW diet for him to get him off all the chemicals and a chance for a few more years....we started with turkey necks, so gross, but awesome for cleaning teeth and easy to feed...and ground chicken....I couldnt feed it raw in the beginning, so I made chickenloaf, with organic spinach, carrot, garlic, and *kinda* baked it, so it wasnt so gross, he loved it, the more he loved it the more I could easily feed it to him raw

Happily, He we found him a wonderful new home with people who had lost their 12 yr old Female Rott, they were more than willing to deal with his medical issues, and do raw feeding & massage.....hes doing great

Good luck with your endevor, it will pay off in the end, just dont feel overwhelmed like you have to do it all in one day

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:16 am

inkaddiction wrote:I made chickenloaf, with organic spinach, carrot, garlic, and *kinda* baked it

I assume there was no bone in it, but I want to point out to the OP that cooked bone can be VERY dangerous for dogs. Only ever feed raw bones!

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:49 am

I was going to point out the same thing. Aside from it being cooked, that is not an appropriate long term diet for a dog. What I did to research raw was look up what people were feeding their dogs, I chose to go base my raw diet on the Prey Model even though I do add veggies and some supplements in. Then I used the USDA's database to look up the nutrient profiel for each food. Then compare that with the RDA of vit/min's for dogs and you will get a good idea of what you need to be feeding your dog. Like someone pointed out, it's not rocket science but you do need to make sure that you educate yourself and know what is in the food you feed your dog.

You will probably get advice from the very anal "measure, weigh everything, add this supplement, then this one, then every other day do this...etc" to the "just throw the dog a chicken quarter a few times day". IMO, somewhere inbetween is the best approach.

I always tell people to go do some research, get the basics down, then it is much easier to come to those more experienced for advice on specifics. Good luck! :thumbsup:

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:28 pm

The beauty of the RAW diet is even if you screw up once or twice with too much meat, too much bone, too much organ you know your dog is getting the best out there. I follow an 80-10-10 ratio. 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs. You learn from trial and error. If you give too much bone, you will notice your dog straining so add a small amount of organ to loosen him up and next time cut back a bit on the bone, also vice versa with the runs not enough bone. You will notice that your interest in your dogs poops increases. roflmao We have been feeding raw for about a year and a half now and our vet cannot believe how healthy they are. We had a skeptical vet, but not critical. I told him that in a year if he saw any issues with the dogs that he could give me different advice on how to feed my dogs. Not a word so far other than compliments. :thumbsup: Good luck I could not imagine doing it any other way.

Return to “Health Issues”