2 months in the Canadian wilderness

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:04 pm

Your other main concern should be the BSL in ON.
Admittedly, the chances of having someone who cares happen along, are minimal, but I'd be concerned for that nonetheless.

Aside from that, I'd assume you're experienced in terms of bug repellents; making sure they don't get into things/happen along predatory animals (and porcupines); keeping them away from other folks out there enjoying their peaceful outing, etc.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 pm

If the weather is really awful, will you have a place where he can get out of it? A field vehicle? I do field work all summer up in the boreal forest (on Lake SUperior), and my dogs come along. It's cold early in the season, but they hop in the car if they get sick of it. The biting flies later in the season are more of an issue. I wear bug-off clothing, but the flies harass the dogs like mad, unless I cover them with some toxic spray.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:48 pm

I can't see it being a problem... nighttime will be the worst... are you tenting or do you have a cabin to stay in? Keep him inside the tent/cabin with you and if he's freezing he'll probably end up cuddled up. If you have coats and fleecy stuff for the dog to wear he should be fine with 5-10 degrees. I would think that would be a fantastic experience for the dogs.

I did a camping trip in NB for 2 months during a summer while working on my thesis for Geology, I didn't have the dogs but what a great time... course I was all alone out there too, so sometimes it was scary... lol. I got to live in a cabin that belonged to the forest rangers so really it was great, other than the 400 mice that shared the place. (I'm a girl, so the rangers liked to play pranks on me, but it was still fun)

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:51 pm

THey'll have a great time--my dogs have been field dogs forever, and they love it (I'm a forestry professor). The only downside of summers in the woods is when you have to go back to the city and sit in front of a computer. Blech.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:58 pm

tiva wrote:The only downside of summers in the woods is when you have to go back to the city and sit in front of a computer. Blech.

I agree! (except that now I'm stuck in front of a computer all day everyday... Blech)

Return to “Health Issues”