Extra muscle lead to ACL trouble?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2204
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: T-Town OK with my smiley girl
Contact:

Extra muscle lead to ACL trouble?

Postby Shes Got Heart » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Well those who know me know Helena had ACL surgery back in late october. She has again started to limp. She will keep weight on it sometimes other times she will just hold it up. She has gained a lot of extra muscle in her legs and chest that she didn't have before she turned 2. I know I need to get her back on glucosomine soon.

But could extra muscle in the leg cause trouble? Should I feed a less rich food? She seemed to start getting muscular upon feeding evo.. not to mention a beautiful shiny coat.

User avatar
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10498
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:37 pm
Location: Iowa City, IA

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:58 pm

The extra muscle should actually prevent ACL trouble... I would be more suspectful that there is trouble with the other knee, or failure of the ACL repair. If it was a TPLO, then there could be a problem with a loose plate or screws.

User avatar
rambler72
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2571
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Postby rambler72 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:47 pm

If she has started limping again she may be in need of miniscus repair in that leg. Zila has had both ACL's repaired and miniscus clean up in both legs as well. Her ACL surgeries were done at the same time. The R leg was an older tear so they did the min. cleanup during the surgery. The L leg was a fresh tear (2days) the miniscus was still intact when the ACL surgeries were done. The ACL surgery was done is July, in October she went back under and had miniscus cleanup because she started limping again. This could very well be your case. Another thing, Zila has made huge leaps and bounds since putting her on supplements. She was very very stiff and sore most of the time so I put her on a supplement called Vertex by CPN, plus 2 capsules of of MSM, Chondroitin, Glucosamine, and 500mg of Vit C to help with absorbtion. She is on very high doses. This has ALL been checked out by my vet. She has definitely responded just in the last 3 weeks. I have become a HUGE advocate of supplements :bowdown: Hope this helps and good luck :thumbsup: BTW you can NEVER go slow enough or let the leg heal long enough. Muscle build up is important though. Oh an PTherapy and acupunture work well too :)

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:23 pm

I thought I remember you saying she had a luxating patella also?

Am I wrong?

User avatar
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2204
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: T-Town OK with my smiley girl
Contact:

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue May 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Yes she does have a luxating patella on that knee now. I bumped this thread wondering about EVO, I was reading in the top 5 food threads that EVO could cause long term effects due to the high protein, I don't know if this is true or opinion. If so I would drop her back to Innova. I just don't want to keep switching foods. But I want to give her the best.

User avatar
BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:42 pm
Location: Gresham, OR
Contact:

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Tue May 12, 2009 2:58 pm

Miss Kiwi is a vet, and she said the same thing I was going to. My vet has told me that the muscle will actually help to hold the knee in place, thus, helping to support the knee and helpig to prevent ACL or CCL injuries.

My boy just hurt his knee a few weeks ago, and it turned out to just be a sprain, but the vet did say, he was extremely muscular in his rear, and it helped with the healing, because it kept everything tight and close together and made for a faster healing time. Sounded good to me lol

User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 12, 2009 4:05 pm

The protein thing is a big debate.

Here's how I see it. A rabbit (something a wild dog/wolf will naturally eat) is only about 22% protein.

A chicken - about 20%

So, a dog food with 40+% protein levels seems awfully high. And what really bugs me about them is that they are touted as "closest to raw you can get!"

But, does this excess protein mean health problems? I have no clue. Some say yes, some say no. <shrug>

User avatar
starrlamia
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7375
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm
Location: Canada

Postby starrlamia » Tue May 12, 2009 4:24 pm

WackyJacki wrote:The protein thing is a big debate.

Here's how I see it. A rabbit (something a wild dog/wolf will naturally eat) is only about 22% protein.

A chicken - about 20%

So, a dog food with 40+% protein levels seems awfully high. And what really bugs me about them is that they are touted as "closest to raw you can get!"

But, does this excess protein mean health problems? I have no clue. Some say yes, some say no. <shrug>


we talked about this a while ago. The amount of raw eaten compared to the amount of kibble eaten varies greatly, so it does even out somewhat.
I personally think high protein is great for muscle issues, as it protein helps to heal problems.

User avatar
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2204
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: T-Town OK with my smiley girl
Contact:

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue May 12, 2009 4:42 pm

Do you guys think daily walks would be good? Maybe a mile or 2. My boyf doesn't want me to walk her because he thinks it's going to mess her up more. But I think exercise would be healthy for her.

User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 12, 2009 5:15 pm

starrlamia wrote:
WackyJacki wrote:The protein thing is a big debate.

Here's how I see it. A rabbit (something a wild dog/wolf will naturally eat) is only about 22% protein.

A chicken - about 20%

So, a dog food with 40+% protein levels seems awfully high. And what really bugs me about them is that they are touted as "closest to raw you can get!"

But, does this excess protein mean health problems? I have no clue. Some say yes, some say no. <shrug>


we talked about this a while ago. The amount of raw eaten compared to the amount of kibble eaten varies greatly, so it does even out somewhat.
I personally think high protein is great for muscle issues, as it protein helps to heal problems.


I think high protein is probably best used for more active dogs and less beneficial for more sedentary types <shrug>

But since switching to raw, which has a lower protein content then the kibble I was feeding, my girls have gained a ton of muscle.

And around and around we go hahaha

I think I may be getting too off topic, sorry!

User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:Do you guys think daily walks would be good? Maybe a mile or 2. My boyf doesn't want me to walk her because he thinks it's going to mess her up more. But I think exercise would be healthy for her.


Several days of rest may do her some good, then reaccess the situation.

And get her back on gluco/chondroitin/msm asap and keep her on it!

My Boston just had surgery for a luxating patella about 3 weeks ago. Strong leg muscles are imperative in maintaining joint health. After 3 weeks of not using it, the poor dog has lost so much muscle in her leg :(

Can't wait to get her swimming!

If you have access to a swimming pool, and the vet ok's it, I'd get her swimming!

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Postby FBODGRL » Tue May 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote:Do you guys think daily walks would be good? Maybe a mile or 2. My boyf doesn't want me to walk her because he thinks it's going to mess her up more. But I think exercise would be healthy for her.


I think you need to find out what is causing the limping to know whether it will hurt or help.

If it is from the luxating patella exercise can't hurt it. Did you find out what grade the luxating patella was? My vet and specialist both said exercise will not make a luxating patella "worse" The grade it is luxating is the grade it will always be unless it is corrected. Luxating patella's don't get "worse". I was told moderate exercise (same type I have always done) is fine.

User avatar
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2204
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: T-Town OK with my smiley girl
Contact:

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Well her leg seemed to start bothering her when the weather got cold and rainy, other days I take her on a walk and she doesn't limp at all, we get home and shes a little sore on it, but otherwise fine. Some days she doesn't limp at all. I don't think she always puts all her weight on it, but she does put some weight on it. The vet didn't tell me what grade the luxating patella was, he just told me that she had one, after her ACL was supposed to be stable. Money is tight, as usual. I am going to be taking a baby sitting job, hopefully by June, catch up on bills and see what we can do. It doesn't seem to bother her at all though. But she is a pit bull... hard to keep a good pit down.

User avatar
iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador
Posts: 2916
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:09 am
Location: The Sunshine State! :)

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 am

Shes Got Heart wrote:Well her leg seemed to start bothering her when the weather got cold and rainy, other days I take her on a walk and she doesn't limp at all, we get home and shes a little sore on it, but otherwise fine. Some days she doesn't limp at all. I don't think she always puts all her weight on it, but she does put some weight on it. The vet didn't tell me what grade the luxating patella was, he just told me that she had one, after her ACL was supposed to be stable. Money is tight, as usual. I am going to be taking a baby sitting job, hopefully by June, catch up on bills and see what we can do. It doesn't seem to bother her at all though. But she is a pit bull... hard to keep a good pit down.


Depending on the grade of her luxating patella, she may need corrective surgery on that. :(

User avatar
WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: www.collarshop.org
Contact:

Postby WackyJacki » Wed May 13, 2009 9:23 am

My Boston is 3 weeks post op from LP surgery.

She started as a grade 2, and it didn't bother her for a couple of years. Then, quite suddenly, it progressed to a grade 3 and I was putting her knee back in several times a day. Surgery was inevitable.

And actually, it was much cheaper then I thought. A little under $900.

Of course cost varies greatly depending on location ;)

If she ever progresses past a grade 2, I'd get surgery pronto. The longer you wait, the more wear and tear on the joint and the more likely arthritis will set it.

And again, I can't stress enough the important of a gluco/chondroitin/msm supplement for a dog with ortho issues. And they should be on them for life IMO.

Please keep us updated :)


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests