Could this be ringworm?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Could this be ringworm?

Postby ewwies » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm thinking this first because there is someone in this household that has it...

it kind of looks like it to me. ugh. I first noticed it because he was itching it with his teeth.

his vet is closed right now.. and i dont feel like getting charged with a 50 dollar office visit for someone to tell me something that im pretty sure i already knew.

so suggestions? until i can take him in to his vet... should i apply any topical antifungal creams? Like lamisil?

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:18 pm

looks like ringworm to me! ick. I would use lotrimin until you can pic up some malesab or douxo shampoo...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Ketoconazole shampoo can be found at most stores, esp. a drugstore, it is known as Nizoral. It has the same ingredients as athlete foot/ringworm topicals.

It is a good idea to use that, or even betadine wash but the best is Chlorhexadine wash.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:01 pm

I had no idea that ringwork looked like that in dogs. I've seen it in people and in dogs where it was the ring around an area. zoinks! that looks creepy.

I've seen it as a normal looking fungal infection... but euugh... what did I see before?? :yucky:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:04 pm

You also should be wiping things down with a bleach solution.
It's contagious to people, too, of course.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:59 pm

Looks like it. You can use a diluted bleach solution right on the spot itself. Sounds painful but it really isn't. Kind of warm, but it works. Sad that I know this from personal experience lol

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:22 am

Kingsgurl wrote:Looks like it. You can use a diluted bleach solution right on the spot itself. Sounds painful but it really isn't. Kind of warm, but it works. Sad that I know this from personal experience lol

lol I was going to suggest it but it always sounds so harsh.
When Copper had it though, on his ear and somewhere else I forget now, from the kitties we fostered, bleach worked right away and it didn't spread!

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:51 am

Do you have a blacklight? If it glows under blacklight then more than likely it is ringworm. There's really no need for a vet visit (unless you're not sure what it is), just pick up some Tinactin (athlete's foot) cream from the store.

haircrazie016
Bully Ambassador

Postby haircrazie016 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:15 am

yep 10 to 1 bleach and water mixture (10 being water and 1 being bleach) works, but you just want to make sure he doesn't lick it.

Last yr when Paige had ringworm I ended up needing an e-collar because she wouldnt leave it alone and it was getting worse.

We used malesab shampoo every three days (leave it on for ten minutes) and it finally went away but we struggled a lot before we got the collar because she was itching it.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:51 pm

I got ringworm a month or so ago, betadine was worthless. An antifungal topical should be fine until you can get to a vet. No reason to let him be miserable until then.

Just make sure he has his own tube just in case its NOT ringworm so you don't swap bugs between the two of you.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Also keep in mind that ringworm in pets seldom looks the same from one animal to the next. Ringworm can look like ANYTHING, from a rash, to hives, to a swollen lump, to a crusty spot.

And only 50% of lesions glow under a black light, and any loose skin particles (such as epidermal collarettes from a bacterial infection) can glow quite nicely. So only use the blacklight to diagnose it if you know EXACTLY how and what to look for... blacklight can be very misleading.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:50 pm

thank you for all the help guys! i put iodine on it yesterday.. today i am putting a topical creme.. ill pick up some shampoo as well! thanks again guys

felixmcgeehee13
Newborn Bully

Postby felixmcgeehee13 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:18 pm

Ringworm bites!!! :frown:

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:34 pm

how do they get that and how long does it take to go away? how do you prevent it?

Return to “Health Issues”