rat terrier attacked pitbull!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nygemma
Matured Bully

rat terrier attacked pitbull!

Postby nygemma » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:42 am

My little 11lb rat terrier Guinness attacked Cesar tonight. My friend saw the whole thing, Guinness ran at Cesar and they were growling. Guinness is very dumb when it comes to knowing that he is tiny.
The side of his face above his lip has a very small (pencil eraser) abrasion. It bled like crazy but stopped after I applied pressure.
My question is, should I just leave it alone? If I put any ointment on it, he'll just lick it off. His cheek is a little bit swollen too. I'm looking for advice on how to treat this flesh wound, and oh, I hope he doesn't end up with a scar. Poor Cesar was shaking afterwards. In case any one wonders, Guinness has gotten very stupidly protective of his crate (food bowl in there). UGHH...

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:30 am

Poor Cesar :(
If it's only a tiny hole, I'd just try to keep it clean - since he will probably just lick off all the medicine anyway.

If Guinness is resource guarding with his bowl - it's time to put it away until feeding times - guarded resources get taken away.

It's your bowl, your crate - your house - always remember that :thumbsup:

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:35 pm

That sucks, and welcome to my world! My RT, Molly, who is 8 and weighs 20 lbs has regular "issues" w/ 9 month old APBT Zoe, who weights 55 lbs. There's no match! Zoe is a gentle giant, and wouldn't hurt a fly, unless it Molly's coming at her, then she'll defend herself, and we're all very upset afterwards. It's no fun! The resource at issue with my two is ME!

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:24 am

Clean the wound with some hydrogen peroxide, and then keep an eye on it. It will probably heal fine.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 am

Bite wounds--- flush them. A lot. Flush flush flush flush. The point is you want them to heal from the inside out. Sometimes if there is a pocket (and you will pretty much be able to tell if there is a pocket within a few hours-- the skin will be sort of separated from the underlying tissue, sometimes it's a small pocket, sometimes it's a huge pocket) they may put in a drain. But for a small bite from a small dog, good irrigation, cleanliness, and observation should do the trick. Keep a close eye on it, puncture wounds can be pretty gnarly.

I don't know what to do about the fur growing in white. Booker's got some white-fur scars and some bald scars; I used Nu-Stock on them but no dice.

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:43 pm

thanks! I cleaned it off with a warm soapy washcloth, antibacterial soap.
It looked amazingly good overnight. The little wound is nearly gone and now the swelling has gone down. This was on Guinness' tiny little face, not Cesar. Guinness is eating, barking and romping as usual. He'll let me touch it now, so I guess the swelling was more of a fat lip. SCARY.
But at least I feel better that I didn't run to the vet. I didn't want them to think Cesar did anything wrong, when truly Guinness started this fight, as usual. I hope he learned a lesson, he has not growled at Cesar once since this incident. And there seems to be no hard feelings, they are cuddly with each other.

Return to “Health Issues”