eye boogies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
DannyNyce
Super Bully

eye boogies

Postby DannyNyce » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:38 pm

eye boogies, eye crusties. whatever you call them things when you wake up and have that little crusty on the corner of your eye haha.

...how do you avoid them (on your dog, that is). my dog gets them all the time, even when he is not sleeping.

i tried searching this on here but i don't know the scientific name for it

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Funny thing - there is no scientific name for eye boogies - crazy, huh? I think the technical term for it is "Eye discharge".

It can be from allergies, or it could be from something like dust getting in the eyes.

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:33 am

wow, that is funny... yea i guess allergies could be it. it is srping time after all

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:53 pm

Some dogs get them worse than others, Chino has stains on her pretty little white face because of the eye boogies that perpetually inhabit the corners of her eyes, you can wipe them out every time she walks by you and they'll be back when you turn around. If you think there is more discharge than usual or the eyes look inflamed you should get them checked. Chino has sensitive eyes and even the smallest bit of dust makes them water, the other dogs are pretty normal on the eye boogers, one or two wipes a day and they're gone. If your dog has problems with staining you can try to remove the stains with a warm wash rag, or if they're bad there are products out there to remove tear stains.

Tytanium
Newborn Bully

Postby Tytanium » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:33 am

I recall reading in one of the many threads about food / nutrition that quality of diet can have an impact on eye boogs (as well as a plethora of other issues).

My personal experience has affirmed the claim. We used to abuse our pets by feeding Science Diet - an abuse I will forever feel horrible about. Both the cat (Maximus Caticus) and dog (Zane) had nearly constant eye boogs. My Mom's cat Proximo had nasty eye boogs on his white face all the time just like my animals.

After we brought home Zane I received a great nutrition education from this forum and we quickly transitioned him to Timberwolf and the cat to Serengeti (cat formula from the same company that makes Timberwolf). Over time I convinced my Mom to pony up the cash and get on Serengeti as well. None of the cats in our family really liked the Serengeti and we all gradually switched over to Fromm. The dog is now eating kibble in the AM and raw in the PM. We switched from Timberwolf to Taste of the Wild (TOTW) given the Timberwolf jumped in price to over 70$ a bag.

The Results....... Eye Boogs are now very mild / hardly noticeable and usually only after a deep sleep.

So many other issues cleared up / improved with the change of diet as well:
- 9 y/o cat became more energetic
- dog nearly stopped farting
- both animals coats came to life
- cat's muscle tone improved and he lost weight
- both animals eat less and poop less
- dog rarely scratches or gnaws himself anymore indicating greatly improved skin condition
- etc etc

Good luck!!

T

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:15 pm

thanks! lucky my dog has a black face

Return to “Health Issues”