Food Help

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jaydedhalo
Newborn Bully

Food Help

Postby jaydedhalo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:43 pm

I looked through a lot of pages and didn't see anything on this. I apologize if this has been asked recently. I'm going cross-eyed trying to find the answer lol

I read on a Pitt Bull site that you should feed your pitt bull 1TBS of cottage cheese per feeding because they have heavy bones which grow very fast, 1tsp of yogurt per feeding to help the digestive tract, and 1tsp of canola or corn oil twice a day for the coat.

The ASPCA web site says not to give dogs dairy products yet they also say "Milk, cheese, and other dairy foods are not considered to be poisonous to pets—unless they're spoiled or moldy. However, many pets’ digestive systems do not tolerate dairy foods very well, and the resulting vomiting and diarrhea could lead to inflammation of the pancreas in severe cases. Because of this, we would not recommend offering large amounts of dairy products to your dogs."

And

"Yogurt should not pose any health problems if given in moderation."

So I guess my question is this...what is your opinion of giving our Amstaff the cottage cheese & yogurt and do you think the amount they say is good? Gunner eats 3 times a day (1 1/2 cups per feeding), he is 41 pounds and has no fat to him. Oh and he is almost 7 months old.

Thanks for putting up with such a long message! :)

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

All 3 of mine love cottage cheese and yogurt. I only had a tbsp to their food(of one or the other) I did have 1 dog that couldn't handle dairy products. Instead of the corn oil or canola oil, you can add fish capsuls right in the food. I use regular people ones. Some people also like to use salmon oil.

jaydedhalo
Newborn Bully

Postby jaydedhalo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:24 pm

julie64 wrote:All 3 of mine love cottage cheese and yogurt. I only had a tbsp to their food(of one or the other) I did have 1 dog that couldn't handle dairy products. Instead of the corn oil or canola oil, you can add fish capsuls right in the food. I use regular people ones. Some people also like to use salmon oil.

Okay, thank you! Gunner LOVES the cottage cheese and yogurt, so I hated to stop giving it to him. Good to know I don't have to! :tongue:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:40 pm

You dont have to give your dogs those things, unless your dog doesnt tolerate them it cant hurt.

Just be careful if your dog is still growing with the calcium/phosphorus ratio that they eat.

jaydedhalo
Newborn Bully

Postby jaydedhalo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:37 pm

starrlamia wrote:You dont have to give your dogs those things, unless your dog doesnt tolerate them it cant hurt.

Just be careful if your dog is still growing with the calcium/phosphorus ratio that they eat.

Oh okay. He does love it, but I have cut back. He doesn't have the "runnies" but it's not, not the "runnies" either LOL
Do you know how I would figure out the calcium/phosphorus rate that he needs? We feed him Iams Ismart puppy food.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:17 pm

You really don't want to give any yogurt or cottage cheese when your puppy is growing---the calcium/phosphorus ratio in your dry food is the correct ratio, and adding extras can throw it off (cottage cheese actually has more phosphorus than calcium).

jaydedhalo
Newborn Bully

Postby jaydedhalo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 pm

jlphilli wrote:You really don't want to give any yogurt or cottage cheese when your puppy is growing---the calcium/phosphorus ratio in your dry food is the correct ratio, and adding extras can throw it off (cottage cheese actually has more phosphorus than calcium).

Oh! Yikes! Okay, thank you!

Tytanium
Newborn Bully

Postby Tytanium » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:22 am

jlphilli,

I noticed you feed Iams. I used to feed my pup, Zane, Science diet. After I dug into this forum I came to realize that Science Diet was a really bad choice and essentially like feeding my dog fast food every day / every meal. Iams falls into the same category (lower quality) as Science Diet, Purina, Beneful etc etc.

Hopefully I haven't caused any offense. Not my goal by any means.... but you might consider doing some research regarding the quality of ingredients in Iams. I was shocked to learn that some companies making dog food are producing a really crappy product(s). I used the info posted by some the experts on this forum, the experiences of the non-experts on this forum and some personal research - namely, comparing the ingredients of lots of different foods.

T

Tytanium
Newborn Bully

Postby Tytanium » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 am

Oops. Addressed last post to jlphilli by mistake....

jaydedhalo - I was responding your postings.

T

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:30 am

jlphilli wrote:You really don't want to give any yogurt or cottage cheese when your puppy is growing---the calcium/phosphorus ratio in your dry food is the correct ratio, and adding extras can throw it off (cottage cheese actually has more phosphorus than calcium).

x2 - they don't NEED anything unless your dog/puppy food is garbage and even then it has to meet nutritional requirements or they cannot sell it.
Even Ol Roy has recommended daily allowances for vitamins, etc.

That said, we feed Kirkland and it's a good quality food for the cost. It comes from Costco.
We sometimes add Salmon Oil, not canola or anything else, except for coconut oil which I gave the senior Basset last night for the 1st time.

jaydedhalo
Newborn Bully

Postby jaydedhalo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 am

Tytanium wrote:jlphilli,

I noticed you feed Iams. I used to feed my pup, Zane, Science diet. After I dug into this forum I came to realize that Science Diet was a really bad choice and essentially like feeding my dog fast food every day / every meal. Iams falls into the same category (lower quality) as Science Diet, Purina, Beneful etc etc.

Hopefully I haven't caused any offense. Not my goal by any means.... but you might consider doing some research regarding the quality of ingredients in Iams. I was shocked to learn that some companies making dog food are producing a really crappy product(s). I used the info posted by some the experts on this forum, the experiences of the non-experts on this forum and some personal research - namely, comparing the ingredients of lots of different foods.

T

Really? (no offense at all BTW :) ) I will do some research on it as I only want what is best for Gunner. We picked Iams because when we did research on Pitt's, I came across a few sites that said it was one of the foods that breeders chose. Thanks for the info! :)

jaydedhalo
Newborn Bully

Postby jaydedhalo » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am

msvette2u wrote:

x2 - they don't NEED anything unless your dog/puppy food is garbage and even then it has to meet nutritional requirements or they cannot sell it.
Even Ol Roy has recommended daily allowances for vitamins, etc.

That said, we feed Kirkland and it's a good quality food for the cost. It comes from Costco.
We sometimes add Salmon Oil, not canola or anything else, except for coconut oil which I gave the senior Basset last night for the 1st time.

Poor Gunner-he's going to miss his yummy LOL :tongue:

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:55 am

I'm not a food snob by any means, but Iams isn't a very good food. If you have a CostCo near you, you should considering paying the $50 for a year long membership so you can buy their brand of kibble. Like MsV said, it's a good food and a good price.

That said.. we feed our dogs a "balanced" kibble, but just because it has what they NEED in it already doesn't mean we don't give them treats. Sally LOVES cheeses.. any type. Bear likes cheese.. he could take it or leave it, but he'll walk through fire for yogurt. Just plain, unsweetened, no fruit.. yogurt. He's a nutjob. I use my food processor and grind up some of his kibble.. then mix the "food powder" into some yogurt and freeze small balls (I have a tiny ice cream scooper that makes perfect sized treat balls). I use them as "super treats", because I know he'll do anything for them.

carlitin1988
Newborn Bully

Postby carlitin1988 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:16 pm

I've had blue on nutro max for three weeks but i just recently changed her food to nutro ultra, its great stuff she seems to love it.. it is 50 bucks though for the 35lb bag. still i think its very good product...

chia pit
Matured Bully

Postby chia pit » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:32 pm

i use Diamond naturals chicken and rice forumula and i use nupro with joint support :)

Return to “Health Issues”