Baileys' ongoing battle with allergies...New Medication?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Kelli
Newborn Bully

Baileys' ongoing battle with allergies...New Medication?

Postby Kelli » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:46 pm

Okie dokie. Our oldest male, Bailey, has had severe allergies since he was a pup. Last year we took him to a Derm. to get the Intradermal skin testing done. Basically, he is allergic to life itself. :frown: SO, we start the immunotherapy. As we all know, this takes a while to start working. He has come a long way and they are starting to work! I can especially tell now,since we are approaching his worst season. By this time he would already be red as tomato and itching like crazy to the point of bleeding and hair loss. So THANK GOD he isn't dealing with that. BUT, 2 weeks ago he had to have a hematoma drained on his right ear. Well, this morning we took him in to have the sutures removed only to find out he has an ear infection in both ears, a bacterial infection that was under the plastic keeping him from getting a cauliflower ear and yeast infections on both front paws. AH! :crybaby: On top of that his skin has been really dry and flakey lately. I have a prescribed shampoo for him as well as conditioner that apparently does slim to nothing for him.

SO most, if not all, of these things are intertwined with his allergies. I am TIRED of him being like this. One thing improves and then it's a yeast infection...then an ear infection..and so on. This circle of crap he has to endure breaks my heart because he can NEVER just be. You know what I mean?

Anyways, so the point of this whole post is that the vet suggested that we try Atopica. First month alone is $250. I don't know ANYTHING about it. All I know is what she told us. I asked if we should keep him on the injections along with this and she said yes. But, eventually, we can probably take him off the injections all together. I would just like to know if anybody has used this; if so, what was your experience? Is it safe to use long term? I don't mean to second guess the vet, but I hate just saying yes to whatever they say. So many of them have different opinions and views of how to handle things. Plus his first vet just kept pumping him with steroids to "fix" the issue. donkey. :po:

We also ran a blood test for him today to check food allergies. I don't know why I never got that done. Probably because everytime we go there are a million and one things wrong with him. I'm horrible. Eh. I'm also going to start him on some Omega.

So today all together was another $1,000 doctor visit. We DO NOT mind spending money on our dogs. ESPECIALLY when it comes to their health. Honestly though in the three years of his life we could have bought a new car with how much we have spent. It would just be nice to see my baby boy be able to play without anything holding him back. Instead, THIS is what he does....

...he DOES love HIS computer chair though. lol. roflmao

Thoughts. Suggestions. Anything would be great. Thanks.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:06 pm

So sorry to hear that your poor pup is going through all this :sad:

I don't have any knowledge of the treatment you are seeking for him, so I can't help you there (I'm sure someone on here can!). I wanted to ask though, what are you feeding him? Have you considering trying a raw food diet? A lot of people have been able to really, really help their allergy ridden dogs by switching to a raw food diet (although of course there is no guarantee, it might not help at all! definitely worth researching though)

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

Just a thought! :thumbsup:

Sending good thoughts your way. Please keep us updated on whatever it is you decide to do.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:22 pm

i have 3 boxes of 100mg of atopica here, it didnt help my dog, but you can buy them if you want, i dont want to throw them away .

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:23 pm

forgot to add, it works on some dogs and others it doesnt, but its worth a try.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:51 pm

DO NOT give up on the immunotherapy. It can take up to a year to work... and its already helping.

Atopica is an immunosuppressive and may interfere with ongoing immunotherapy, ask a dermatologist first.

You should expect to have breakouts, and still need to be proactive about catching skin infections early. you can control many skin infections with baths instead of antibiotics if you catch them early.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:07 pm

if the immunotherapy is not working a year later, i'd drop it.

we have a dog that did the shots and is now on atopica with some improvement.

Kelli
Newborn Bully

Postby Kelli » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:12 pm

WackyJacki: I have actually thought about switching to raw with all three of our dogs. So that very well mgiht happen sooner or later.

Maryellen: I actually already bought 4 boxes of it. I'm just not totally sure I want to give it to him.

Misskiwi67: See, I don't want to stop doing the injections at all. It's the man of the house that doesn't think they are working. He expects it to happen over night. I on the other hand am the one who takes Bailey to the Derm. and understand the situation a little better than he does. And like I said, he IS doing better as far as the itching, hot spots, sores and what not. As far as the baths, I have been giving him one once a week along with the conditioner. I guess I could try twice and see if that helps any. Just last week he got EXTREMELY red and itchy on his belly. I couldn't figure it out..then realized that I had steam cleaned the carpets that same day. 2 days later he was almost cleared up. I completely understand this is going to be a lifelong battle and am more than willing to do whatever it takes to make him as comfortable as possible.

I don't know, I'm going to call the Derm. in the morning and see what he says.

Thanks for the response everyone.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:36 pm

Best of luck to you guys. I imagine it's very frustrating and disheartening to watch your dog suffer like that.

My dogs don't have allergy issues (thankfully!) but I've noticed that while on raw, their coats are super soft and shiny, and the little bit of dandruff my Boston had has disappeared. They look like they just had a bath all the time lol And no more gas! Wooohoo!! lol

Another thought... I would stop using any lawn fertilizers or pesticides if you do. My Mom's Pug has had severe, itchy, red, infected feet from having their lawn treated, even though it's supposedly "safe" around pets.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:20 pm

I hope she gets better soon! :hug:

Kelli
Newborn Bully

Postby Kelli » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:26 pm

Okay so I decided that I'm not going to start the Atopica...YET. I didn't even talk to the Derm. yet, I just don't want to throw him on something else until I have absolutely have too. Soooo...I'm going to wait and see the results for the food allergy test which will be like a week or so. Most likely will be switching to raw for him. I'm also going to try the omega to see if that helps with the skin and what not.

I know people are pretty split on this...but are there any other supplements that might help him some? We have full access to anything as far as natural supplements go.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:31 pm

I think that giving raw a go is a great idea. A simple, fresh, nutritious, species appropriate diet can work wonders. Even if it doesn't "cure" the allergy problem, it will at least boost his overall health, making it easier to deal with the issue (IMHO).

Just make sure you do a lot of research before jumping into it. It's far from rocket science, but one should still be well educated on the subject first.

Hang in there!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm

Sorry to DP!

As far as supplements go, I've always read that fish oil, with the omega fatty acids, are best for the skin (as well as overall health).

I don't recommend going with flaxseed oil, or another grain based omega source (although great for us!), because some dogs are allergic to it, not to mention it's just not species appropriate nor as digestible as fish oil.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:32 pm

I give Khan Salmon oil, vitamin e and coconut oil for his allergies.

There is a thread around here somewhere about what supplements people use and why. Not sure how to search for it though. Maybe someone else will remember what I am talking about.

Return to “Health Issues”