Oh my Dead tail?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Oh my Dead tail?

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:54 pm

Ok..so Virgil has been a victim of extreme happy tail,, true CSI scenes all over. And its been a struggle getting it to stop. We finally used the super glue and it seemed to scar up and HEAL up.. whoo hoo.

But today in the light when we were at an event I noticed it looked, scaley and grey. like the last 1" - 1 1/2 " of it..it not a bit more?
I think the tip is DEAD.
This cant be good. He doesnt seem bothered by it, I picked at it and he didnt seem to care, so it doesnt seem sensitive or infected, no pus or anything but grey and horribly scaled .

WhutTha?

I guess I will make an appt for a vet to look at it..but can it be DEAD?

:0 (

dang..and here I thought we saved it... :frown:

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Re: Oh my Dead tail?

Postby PigDog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:01 pm

luvnstuff wrote:

Yes it can be. We had the same issue not 2 months ago and the skin around the tip died off and turned a deep grey, almost black. Dead tissue can't regenerate.

Ended up get her tail docked down to Weimaraner-length (about 6") and all is well now.

Mario

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Oh no Virgil! I hope everything turns out okay.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Went through that with a foster. His tail was badly infected when I got him. Never healed, so we docked his tail.

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:12 pm

It sounds logical, Stacie, but wierd.
Sending hugs from Missouri to the Virgmiester

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:32 pm

PigDog wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:

Yes it can be. We had the same issue not 2 months ago and the skin around the tip died off and turned a deep grey, almost black. Dead tissue can't regenerate.

Ended up get her tail docked down to Weimaraner-length (about 6") and all is well now.

Mario

oh my.... yea it is kind of grey....

ARGh.. I hate cutting anything off a dog.. espically a long happy waggin tail.....

well guess I will see what the vet says... :frown:

PigDog
Newborn Bully

Postby PigDog » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:18 pm

luvnstuff wrote:
oh my.... yea it is kind of grey....

ARGh.. I hate cutting anything off a dog.. espically a long happy waggin tail.....

well guess I will see what the vet says... :frown:

We didn't have much of a choice. It split at the end, so there wasn't anything to sew up. It started bothering her a few days after the skin turned nasty.

My house looked like I had just butchered a live goat in the LV... Blood was everywhere (we still find a drop here and there).

Good luck.

Mario

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:18 pm

If you have to dock his tail, I'd go longish. A friend had an AB, Wicca, being board/trained for Ringsport. She had such severe happy tail she needed to have her tail docked. The bone where it was docked became infected, and it needed to be redocked. The vet said if she had had a short dock, the infection would have been in her spine, and she would have been in real danger.
Wicca went on to become a police dog in NJ, so there's a happy ending. Wishing Virgil well.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Sending good thoughts for Virgil. Update us after his vet visit.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:57 pm

Leslie H wrote:If you have to dock his tail, I'd go longish. A friend had an AB, Wicca, being board/trained for Ringsport. She had such severe happy tail she needed to have her tail docked. The bone where it was docked became infected, and it needed to be redocked. The vet said if she had had a short dock, the infection would have been in her spine, and she would have been in real danger..

That's what we were told with Arnie, not to dock too much in case he got infected and had to be redone.. They docked about 1 1/2. Luckly he never had problems after that.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:04 pm

oooo thanks for the tip, no pun intended , if they DO need to crop to keep it long. With his happy slapping tail wagging, I dont know HOW I am going to keep him from breaking open if they do have to do surgery.

Anyone know how to piss off a happy dog for about a month or longer.

sigh.
maybe they wont have to crop and it just looks wierd... but it does look sinister wierd..

damn dogs.
I have been on a roll lately..gez..

so much for karma..

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:12 pm

Stacie, when Arnies was done they did it with his nueter surgery. He wore a cone for a few days, but it didn't take long at all to heal.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:19 pm

julie64 wrote:Stacie, when Arnies was done they did it with his nueter surgery. He wore a cone for a few days, but it didn't take long at all to heal.

was he a mad whacker? (oo that doesnt sound right...)

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Yes he was. Like I said it was already infected when he came. He constantly was breaking it back open no matter what we did or used on it. That's when the vet said it would be best for him to have it docked. He could still look back and see his tail wag. :)

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:46 pm

luvnstuff wrote:
julie64 wrote:Stacie, when Arnies was done they did it with his nueter surgery. He wore a cone for a few days, but it didn't take long at all to heal.

was he a mad whacker? (oo that doesnt sound right...)
roflmao

Return to “Health Issues”