2 males, getting neutered, success with your???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
leaflove
Newborn Bully

2 males, getting neutered, success with your???

Postby leaflove » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:45 pm

I have a father son team. They love each other to pieces but now that Hoss has turned 1 year and finally dropped 'em the testosterone is a little more than he (or I) can handle.
Tyson (dad) is two, and he's kept things in line as far as keeping himself in control and just giving a bark or quick snap to tell Hoss where things stand. Over the past 3 weeks there have been two incidents where they went nose to nose.

After those two calmed down a little (apart) and then took a quick nap to get over the stress, they were rolling and rubbing and licking on each other like they hadnt been together in months!! Cuddled up with bodies entertwinded and took another huge nap! I know its just the hormones causing issues.

Soooo, I have them both scheduled to be fixed. I was just wondering who else may have had similiar experiences and what was your success rate after the age of one and two?

Thanks for any insight :)
Toni

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm

it may help but it wont solve your problem. we have 2 spayed females that used to sleep on the same dog bed every night and cuddle all day together. a couple months ago they started getting snarky and a couple full on fights started. luckily nobody was injured too badly and there were no broken bones or anything. we've just had to become super vigilent and try to pick up on triggers.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:06 pm

MikeZev wrote:it may help but it wont solve your problem. we have 2 spayed females that used to sleep on the same dog bed every night and cuddle all day together. a couple months ago they started getting snarky and a couple full on fights started. luckily nobody was injured too badly and there were no broken bones or anything. we've just had to become super vigilent and try to pick up on triggers.

It might help more in this case, not saying it will, but the boys don't hold grudges the way the bitches do.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:11 pm

Sarah wrote:
It might help more in this case, not saying it will, but the boys don't hold grudges the way the bitches do.

x 1000!!!!!

Lady (she is not dog aggressive, not even dog reactive, loves dogs and everything) has held a grudge on Kiara since she was 6 months old! Kiara was 15 months when she decided to pick a fight with Lady and almost killed her. If Lady had the opportunity she would kill Kiara now. Kiara is housed in the garage and everytime Lady alks by the garage door she stops and 'checks' it. She has held a grudge like you wouldn't believe. Oh yeah, she's spayed, so it's not hormonal. They don't call them b!tches for nothing lol

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:16 pm

It may help, it may not.

My dog (malamute mix) and my friend's dog (labrador) were horribly aggressive toward one another. When I got DJ neutered, it didn't help at all. Snickers (labrador) is still intact. The boys pick fights everytime they see each other. DJ (neutered) is usually the one who starts it too.

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Postby JamisPack » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 am

I have 4 males, they all get along wonderfully - but I truely belive the key to my success was neutering as pups as soon as thier testicles dropped and of course they are never left alone together un-supervised. I do however, have one male in the mix that came to me as an adult and un-neutered. Once he was fixed and the hormones were gone he is fine with the others.

We can have all 4 males and 5 females together while we are supervising and they are fine though. It is the cutest when they all lay together and groom each other.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 am

Sarah wrote:
MikeZev wrote:it may help but it wont solve your problem. we have 2 spayed females that used to sleep on the same dog bed every night and cuddle all day together. a couple months ago they started getting snarky and a couple full on fights started. luckily nobody was injured too badly and there were no broken bones or anything. we've just had to become super vigilent and try to pick up on triggers.

I wouldn't go that far - we have Doxies and one of ours and a foster got into a fight and after that our's couldn't stand the sight of the foster. Until that dog left, our dog loathed him.
Both boys and both neutered :dunno:

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:40 am

It just all depends, my Grandparents' dog Spud and my dog that lives at their house, Bruce are both neutered. Yet, they are extremely dog aggressive towards each other and have to be separated from each other.

You will just have to wait and see. It really just depends on the dog.

I hope everything goes well and after they get neutered, that they get along. :thumbsup:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:44 am

Keeping them separated as much as possible (crate/rotate) for the time being might help cool things down, too.
After one major blowout, they could become mortal enemies.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:33 am

I think it is helpful you are getting them both done. For some reason, neutered/not-neutered combos can be troublesome. Martin gets along with most dogs, but he dislikes intact males.
I think, since they have had minor disagreements, that you need to be hyper vigilant from here on out. A major row and you could be looking at crate/rotate if they don't forgive and forget (some do, some don't)
Do you have a break-stick?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:05 am

Kingsgurl wrote:I think it is helpful you are getting them both done. For some reason, neutered/not-neutered combos can be troublesome. Martin gets along with most dogs, but he dislikes intact males.
I think, since they have had minor disagreements, that you need to be hyper vigilant from here on out. A major row and you could be looking at crate/rotate if they don't forgive and forget (some do, some don't)

I've noticed this with our GSD, too. He can't stand intact males.
I think it's great both boys are getting fixed, it certainly cannot hurt the situation at all.

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:59 am

Well, I do think the females are much less forgiving than the males after a fight. And a full on battle with bitches is NOT a pretty sight either. (VICIOUS!) It may help to have them spayed but caution is definitly warranted. I would never leave them alone together.

leaflove
Newborn Bully

Postby leaflove » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:00 am

Kingsgurl wrote:I think it is helpful you are getting them both done. For some reason, neutered/not-neutered combos can be troublesome. Martin gets along with most dogs, but he dislikes intact males.

No I do not have a break stick, what is this and where can I get one (just in case - sounds much safer than sticking my hands in the midst!) I've been working so hard with both the boys to be social. I'm not taking what has happened lightly but also not going into panic mode just yet. I know dogs get jealous of attention, pecking order, irritated by not enough exercise, on & on. Not humanizing them is so important and always making certain they know I'm the one in charge - I've stepped up to that responsibility since the tossle. If they start to play and it at all involves nipping (even if play) I'm on them immediately. If they are rolling, laying side by side, sizing up jaws, talking (geez can they talk!!!) and their stance is relaxed and playful I encourage verbally this behaviour and/or I just stay back and let them be.

As you can see I'm learning as much as they are. Both being so young keeps me on my toes.

I really do want to know what break stick is!! This is something like a cattle rod is it? that gives out short bursts of electrical charge? i have thought about that but i dont want to get into the whole thing about them being aggressive around sticks or poles.

thx
toni

DannyNyce
Super Bully

Postby DannyNyce » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:26 am

leaflove
Newborn Bully

Postby leaflove » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:22 am

DannyNyce wrote:http://www.riospitbull.com/breaking_stick.htm

Awesome!!!

Nice reading there too, I noted the fact about locking their hindquarters and other helpful information .
So glad I found this site, already I feel more confident about my choice in animals :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”