Popping Knee

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Popping Knee

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:20 pm

OK, first of all let me state, I am calling a vet first thing in the morning.

When I got home from work today, I let the dogs out like normal. They charged up the stairs and outside. Ran around, peed, played whatever. It is gorgeous out so they were lounging around and I let them stay outside for awhile.

Well, after about 30 minutes, I looked outside. One of the dogs was standing on the porch, but holding their rear left leg up, just barely resting on the toes. So I went out there and put them in a down-stay. Rolled them over and looked at the pad of their foot. Nothing. I looked between the toes. Nothing. I felt up and down the leg, it doesn't feel hot or swollen. I moved the leg, and when I move it back and forth the knee area 'pops'. I am guessing it is not good news. Never had this problem before. Any ideas??

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 pm

Luxating patella? I know others on the board have dealt with this and I'm sure they'll weigh in.

Good luck and let us know how the vet visit goes!

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 pm

What exactly is a luxating patella. A friend of mine called and said it sounds similar to what happened to her male, and he tore his ACL.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 pm

One of the dogs was standing on the porch, but holding their rear left leg up, just barely resting on the toes

The toe touching sounds like ACL, however, I have never heard any popping noises.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 pm

Thans King :frown:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:11 am

It could be luxating patella (kneecap popping out of joint) or an ACL tear. ACL's can have something called a "meniscal click" that can be confusing unless you know what to feel for.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 am

Is surgery the only cure for either of the two misskiwi?? What kind of long term efects will there be with either?? Does anyone have any literature on these problems??? I know I know I'm jumping the gun...... :frown:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:25 am

If its a luxating patella, you can try cage rest and anti-inflammatories, but if it keeps bothering him, surgery is your only option.

ACL is surgery or surgery.

Long-term effects without help is that your pup will put more weight on the other knee and probably blow the ACL on the other leg. Arthritis and pain are minimized with surgery. Do a search, there are LOTS of people who've been through this recently.

For educational material see:

Luxating patella (most common in toy breeds, but can occur in large breeds):
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2448

Cranial Cruciate:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1975

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 am

thank you very much misskiwi

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:20 am

I'm not sure about your area, but here you can get ACL surgery by well-known, experienced vets for relatively cheap (~$600). The one benefit to having lots of vets in one area...they get competitive!

Best of luck!

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:32 am

Vet appt. is scheduled for 9:20 this morning. Wish us luck.

jlphilli - Thanks for the info. Over here it seems that things are a lot more expensive. The ACL surgery averages $1000 or so :frown:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 am

Good luck. Please update us after your visit.

My girl Sidda has luxating patellas in both rear legs. Hers have given her problems before, but very rarely, and the orthopedic surgeon did not recommend we have surgery. They did recommend using glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, limiting exercise, and watching closely for ligament tears. When the dog does have luxating patellas, it is at higher risk of tearing a ligament because the leg is generally not lined up correctly, putting more strain on the ligaments.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 am

My girl is going in for surgery to correct a grade 3 luxating patella on Thurs. She's a Boston however, and it's much more common in small/toy breeds then larger ones.

Not all dogs with patellar luxations require surgery. As mentioned above, a glucosamine supplement can be of great help. And it's absolutely crucial to keep a dog with any joint problems at a lean, healthy weight (of course dogs should be at a healthy weight regardless, but especially so with joint/bone/ligament issues).

Let us know what the vet says!

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:45 am

Hannah had both knees done last year (9/11 & 11/7). She had grade 2-3 and a 4-5. She's finally back to 100%...was expensive but worth it. She'll be on a glucosomine supplement for the rest of her life and she cant do sports or weight pull...so she can just be my spolied Hannah for the rest of her days...she's 1.5 years old now.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:52 am

iluvmypithannah wrote:Hannah had both knees done last year (9/11 & 11/7). She had grade 2-3 and a 4-5. She's finally back to 100%...was expensive but worth it. She'll be on a glucosomine supplement for the rest of her life and she cant do sports or weight pull...so she can just be my spolied Hannah for the rest of her days...she's 1.5 years old now.

I'm glad she's doing well!!

I've read that about 50% of the time, luxating patellas are in both knees.

Apparently, my Boston has a grade 2 in her "good" knee.

Thank you BYB's (bought her before I knew better) !! :po:

Return to “Health Issues”