How do I get her to stop shaking her head?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
barefootxen
Adolescent Bully

How do I get her to stop shaking her head?

Postby barefootxen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 am

Xen has an ear infection that we're treating with malacetic otic. Every time I put the drops in her ear (which I have to hold her down to do) she will NOT stop shaking her head. I usually do it right before I feed her, that way she has something to focus on besides her ear, but she just keeps shaking her head while eating.

If she shakes her head too much, is this just counterproductive?

Suggestions?

Kelli
Newborn Bully

Postby Kelli » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Dealing with TWO ear infections right now. He doesn't like it either. But to calm him down we just put the solution in one ear then rub it really good to make sure it's getting in there for a good 3-5 minutes. Then do the other. He doesn't mind the massage. haha. As far as shaking...He always does 2 head shakes afterwards and then is on his way. That's why I rub so much...makes me feel like it's not all flying out when he does that. Good luck.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 pm

I wish I knew, got it right in the face yesterday and some on the tv as well. Jersey seems to get ear infections once summer hits and usually the first couple days fights it bad and then doesn't mind so much because she gets treats after, I have my boyfriend hold her so she can't shake too much.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:00 pm

Molly has had a couple ear infections. I always get the stuff in her ear, rub it in really well, then jump away so she can shake it all off. It's usually gone within a week anyway.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 pm

Malacetic is a cleaner, not a treatment.

sw_df27
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby sw_df27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:33 am

alexis has a ear infection problem always has for years but I do the cleaner rub it in for a few minutes then she shakes it out then later that night I have antibiotic creme that I pup in a syringe and put down in the ears and rub for a few minutes but using just the cleaner won't get rid of the infection and my vet says it's best to not do both the cleaner and antibiotic at the same time he says it's best to do one in the AM then the other in the PM

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:45 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:Malacetic is a cleaner, not a treatment.

Malacetic burns - which is probably why she's shaking.
We cleaned out our Basset hound's yeasty ears with simple Ear cleaner daily and he did not shake as bad as the one time I decided to put malacetic in there. He went nuts running around shaking his head. I didn't use it again.
If the ear is open or irritated at all maybe that's what the problem is.

barefootxen
Adolescent Bully

Postby barefootxen » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Hm. Should've been clearer, sorry.

I'm aware that it's a cleaner- Xen just can't handle anything having to do with stuff in her ears (even the good one.)

Malacetic is what the vet gave us, wanting to hold off on antibiotics. Her ear is looking better, which is wonderful.

Thanks for the input :)

Return to “Health Issues”