Flea and tick medication warning from EPA

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
b&w
Newborn Bully

Flea and tick medication warning from EPA

Postby b&w » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:50 am

The EPA along with Health Canada has issued a warning about Flea and Tick medications. There is a complete list of the meds being investigated along with a description of possible symptoms/problems.
http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/flea-tick-control.html
I've been using Frontline Plus and noticed that it bleaches the hair around the application site, but have not noticed any other ill-effects. Anybody know how Advantix works? It's not on the list (at least not yet).

Brina Blue
Adolescent Bully

Postby Brina Blue » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:07 am

I used to use Frontline plus with my Aussie. After a minute or so of its application he would freak out, like it creeped him out or something. He'd run and try to hide underneathe something, always trying to lie down somewhere with his head down. If I called him he would run out, and immediately lie down again...sometimes trying to roll over and get it off as well.

I'm pretty sure he was having a reaction to it, so I stopped using it. Luckily fleas haven't been a problem in that house or my current house. I'm going to put nematoads in my backyard here as soon I can find out where to find them, and of course there's the capstar pill your dog can take that kills fleas within 30 minutes of taking the pill (in the event of a major investation).

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:09 am

They're way past due taking Hartz off the market...my roommate's cat got very sick and died after using that stuff...

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:14 am

I never give the full doses to my dogs. I have a 60lb dog and a 10lb dog, and I usually give 1/2 of the "51-100lbs dose" to the big dog, and a few drops on the little dog and throw out the rest (since the dose ranges are volume related, not concentration). I mean, 51-100 lbs?? I find it hard to believe that a dose capable of protecting a 100lb dog is safe for a 51 lb dog...

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:04 pm

About dang time... those Adams flea and tick products and many other over the counter products are just downright scary!

The frontline is probably getting a large majority of the incident reports because its the most commonly use flea/tick preventative.

Promeris maybe because its new... will be keeping an eye on this for sure...

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:35 pm

Emma is on Advantix and we haven't had any problems at all with it.

Brina Blue
Adolescent Bully

Postby Brina Blue » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 am

Either way it's still a pesticide that you're dousing your animal with. Same goes for stuff we come into contact with ourselves.

There's a lot of things we use on a day-to-day basis that are VERY bad for us to make contact with, and yet we don't think anything of it. Probably is a contributor for a lot of sickness and disease we have.

I'm not going to use any flea medicine if I can at all help it. I'd rather use an environmental inhibitor like the hematods, or lime, perhaps some cedar, etc.

Brina Blue
Adolescent Bully

Postby Brina Blue » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 am

er...I mean nematodes

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:34 pm

I am going to admit ignorance.

What product should some one use, if any?

What other ways of flea and tick prevention are safe?

What is a nemtodes?

Is flea shampoo okay? what kind would you recommend?

Return to “Health Issues”