puppy vaccinations

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
high_d_bear
Adolescent Bully

puppy vaccinations

Postby high_d_bear » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:27 pm

about 3 weeks ago we bought companion vac solo-jec 5 plus and gave our puppy his first set of vaccines.on the package it says to do this again 3 weeks later give him his booster. so what i am wondering is if i need to get him any other vaccinations like rabbies?? do i still need to take him to the vet for anything else?

the discription says, solo-jec 5 plus vaccine is a combination of immunogenic,attenuated strains of canine distemper, canine adenovirus type 2 (cav-2), canine parainfluenza, and canine parvovirus type 2b, propagated in cell line tissue cultures. the cav-2 fraction cross protects against respirtory infection caused by infectious canine hepititis (cav-1)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:46 pm

If you do not know how to vaccinate, take the puppy to the vet.
IMO, unless you're quite experienced in the vaccination arena, it is best to take the puppy in and that way you are sure it is protected against the dreaded diseases like parvo and distemper.

high_d_bear
Adolescent Bully

Postby high_d_bear » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:54 pm

well my boyfriend knows how to give shots if that what your asking he's in school to be an r.n. i do know that the vaccinations we gave him included parvo and distemper. but maybe i will give the vet a call and ask them.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Knowing how to give shots does not make you capable of making medical decisions.

Rabies is required by law, and can only be given by a veterinarian.

In my experience, nurses and doctors have the most trouble... they'll do things like give their pets Tylenol instead of taking it to the vet. (Tylenol is TOXIC by the way)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Knowing how to give shots does not make you capable of making medical decisions.

Rabies is required by law, and can only be given by a veterinarian.

In my experience, nurses and doctors have the most trouble... they'll do things like give their pets Tylenol instead of taking it to the vet. (Tylenol is TOXIC by the way)

Knowing how to give the shots doesn't make you knowledgeable on the proper vaccine protocol for a puppy and may wind up costing your puppy his life if you do not follow that protocol.
Are you just trying to save money by doing them yourself?

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:17 pm

IMO, puppies should ALL see a vet. Trips to the vet are great to socialize the pup at an early and impressionable stage, creating an easier time (less stress) for him should he need to see the vet later, and a vet will check for things that you can not (heart murmers, worms etc.)

I also do not trust vaccines bought from most places, as they are very sensitive to storage and shipping temperatures and you have no idea if that protocol was followed. We won't except home administered vaccines for boarding for just that reason.

Your pup is very cute!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:07 am

Cute pup!

Go to a vet. It's not just about the vaccinations, but all pups should see a vet anyway for a general wellness check and I'd recommend a fecal too.

Rabies vacs can only be done by a vet as required by law.

Heartworm season is coming up also (and depending on where you live, is a year round issue), your pup is going to need a preventative, which will also require a vet visit (prescription only).

Best of luck!

Oh, and you must post plenty of puppy pics for us all to see, that is a requirement lol

pickleyone
Newborn Bully

Postby pickleyone » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 pm

actually, in some areas you CAN do rabies. not most, and not in mine. from what you listed, your pup still does need rabies. in my area at least, there are monthly clinics where you can go and get a rabies alone for about five bucks.

don't you guys think it makes lots of people come through here less when they are asking honest questions and they get the drone answer of if you really loved your animal you'd just go to the vet? i joined and haven't been back in over a month. how funny to click on a post and see just why i gave up on this site. it's like a bunch of zombies who can't listen to the question and vomit back the same response over and over. sorry, but it gets ridiculous.

in rural areas like where i live (and i'm sure other folks too though they may be afraid to speak up with the responses) lots of folks give their own medicines as they are used to doing it with their farm animals. it is much more accepted perhaps than in it seems to be in cities from the various responses. giving a shot is not difficult. sigh. no reason to make her think it is.

i was missing this site, or rather the idea of the site. thanks for letting me know right away that there wasn't anything to miss.

high_d_bear
Adolescent Bully

Postby high_d_bear » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:38 pm

[quote="pickleyone"]actually, in some areas you CAN do rabies. not most, and not in mine. from what you listed, your pup still does need rabies. in my area at least, there are monthly clinics where you can go and get a rabies alone for about five bucks.

in rural areas like where i live (and i'm sure other folks too though they may be afraid to speak up with the responses) lots of folks give their own medicines as they are used to doing it with their farm animals. it is much more accepted perhaps than in it seems to be in cities from the various responses. giving a shot is not difficult. sigh. no reason to make her think it is.

yeah our pup still needs his rabies and we will take him to the vet for that. do you know when he will need rabies? im thinking 6mo but i really dont know i could be thinking of the heartworm one. we just gave him his second set of shots.
thanks for your honest opinion w/o making me feel that i need to take him to the vet for everything. it does get expensive at $50 a visit when you can buy pretty much the same stuff at a ranch supply for only $10. :peace:

high_d_bear
Adolescent Bully

Postby high_d_bear » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:40 pm

pickleyone wrote:actually, in some areas you CAN do rabies. not most, and not in mine. from what you listed, your pup still does need rabies. in my area at least, there are monthly clinics where you can go and get a rabies alone for about five bucks.

don't you guys think it makes lots of people come through here less when they are asking honest questions and they get the drone answer of if you really loved your animal you'd just go to the vet? i joined and haven't been back in over a month. how funny to click on a post and see just why i gave up on this site. it's like a bunch of zombies who can't listen to the question and vomit back the same response over and over. sorry, but it gets ridiculous.

i was missing this site, or rather the idea of the site. thanks for letting me know right away that there wasn't anything to miss.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:11 pm

GIVING the shot is not difficult. What IS missed is proper vet care for your dog. Sorry if you find that offensive. Yes, we will advise new owners to take a pup to the vet, just as we would advise anyone seeking medical attention for a serious issue to seek professional advice. Nothing personal about it.
People can have other opinions than you and it's not the end of the world and it doesn't make everyone out to get you.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 am

If you want to treat your dogs like cattle... then feel free to do so.

Thats not what I consider ideal care, and therefore those are not the recommendations I make. Differences of opinion, nothing more.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 am

Ummm suggesting taking your dog to a qualified professional for medical care isn't rude or being a "zombie". It's called being a responsible pet owner.

I'm all for doing things on my own when I can (for example, I microchipped my own dogs), but when it comes to a puppy who needs vaccinations and heartworm preventative (which can only be prescribed by a vet), you need to see one. Not to mention puppies should have a fecal done and a general wellness exam.

If you can't afford veterinary care, you shouldn't have gotten a puppy. Sorry, not trying to sound rude, but it bugs me when people get brand new puppies then say "Well, the vet's too expensive". :po:

Return to “Health Issues”