Sticky on Oral Hygiene / Dental Care?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
formaximus
Matured Bully

Sticky on Oral Hygiene / Dental Care?

Postby formaximus » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Maximus is about a year and a half old now and while i try to get him the toys and treats that suggest dental care I notice his breath stinks and is developing a little redness around the gums. I'd like to be as proactive as possible to prevent poor oral hygiene and tried searching but didn't find much.

Is it possible to add a sticky with peoples suggestions or personal approaches? I think it can help a lot of us.

I know that brushing his teeth is going to be a task roflmao . Can anyone recommend things i can use or should try to really help make sure he keeps a great bully smile?

thanks!

KristenD
Adolescent Bully

Postby KristenD » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:17 pm

I don't really have any tips for you, but I do have a small suggestion. I have a toothbrush for Sabot that is fairly flexible and has three sets of bristles. All the bristles are pointed towards the middle and make it SO much easier because I don't have to try to brush both sides of this teeth. All sides get done at once and it cuts brushing time in half.

This is what I have. http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3053043

formaximus
Matured Bully

Postby formaximus » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:28 pm

that looks very cool! Thanks.

Is brushing enough? How often?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:27 am

Brushing is rarely enough... but every little bit helps!!!

If you can brush a couple times a week you will be able to remove some of the tartar that eventually becomes plaque. Once plaque forms, brushing won't take it off, then a dental cleaning under anesthesia with your veterinarian is necessary.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 am

I have never understood the whole "brush a couple times a week" thing. Brushing every once in a while won't keep our teeth in good shape, and it won't do it for our dogs either.

Riddle gets her teeth brushed at least once a day, and I try to do it twice daily- after both meals. She also gets lots of bones, which help as well. She is three now, and her teeth are much whiter than dogs I know that are 1-2 years old. There's about zero plaque buildup on her teeth. Our vet has told me that if I keep doing what I'm doing, she will never need to be anesthetized for a tooth cleaning. Which is how I want it to be.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:48 am

Raw meaty bones

Nature's toothbrush :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”