What do you feed your bullys

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Nature's Variety (different formulas to mix it up)
I also feed whole prey-model rabbits (frozen/thawed)

southern_comfort
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby southern_comfort » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm

Where do you get rabbits?

Melissa528
Newborn Bully

Postby Melissa528 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:41 am

Natural Balance Venison and sweet potato because Reina has allergies.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:26 am

Here's one place that ships rabbits (as well as many other nom noms for our pets lol)

www.hare-today.com

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:44 am

Maddie eats Nature's Logic chicken
http://natureslogic.com/

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice
A lot of bang for the buck

Bruno26
Newborn Bully

Postby Bruno26 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:22 am

I feed prey model raw for breakfast and Diamond Beef & Rice for dinner to all my dogs. They are all doing GREAT on it. The Diamond food all the dogs LOVE and it's a great price for a pretty decent quality food. :thumbsup:

DirtyKurty
Newborn Bully

Postby DirtyKurty » Sat May 02, 2009 7:03 pm

great posts thanks everyone ! i'm still not sure what to feed the girls when they are off puppy food. I see there is ALOT of variety lol

DirtyKurty
Newborn Bully

Postby DirtyKurty » Sat May 02, 2009 7:17 pm

i was doing all kinds of reading and alot are saying that feeding raw is cheaper than dry food, is this true? and where would a find good deals on raw food ?

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat May 02, 2009 9:25 pm

DirtyKurty wrote:i was doing all kinds of reading and alot are saying that feeding raw is cheaper than dry food, is this true? and where would a find good deals on raw food ?

It can be cheaper, or it can be way more expensive. There are a few factors here:

1) If you're feeding something like Pedigree or O'l Roy, well, it's probably going to be pricier to feed raw lol

2) You can feed raw way cheaper then "super premium" foods (and premade raw is ridiculously expensive)

3) How much time and effort are you willing to spend looking for good deals and suppliers

4) How much freezer space you have. Buying in bulk can save huge amounts of money.

I'm relatively new to raw, but most stuff I have been able to find for $1-2/lb. Some stuff even cheaper (I won't pay more then $2.25/lb MAX, and that's only on beef, but I can almost always get it cheaper).

I am getting a large chest freezer tm. that I found for $100 on craigslist, so I will be able to buy in bulk and get even cheaper prices.

So far, with a 53lb pit mix and an 18lb Boston Terrier, both young and highly active (and so eat closer to 3% of their body weight/day), I spend about $60/month. Not too shabby. And when I start buying in bulk next month, I hope to half that at least.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat May 02, 2009 9:31 pm

southern_comfort wrote:Where do you get rabbits?

I get my rabbits from RodentPro.com
I just looked up hare-today, but they don't sell the right size rabbits. I've found that my dogs can eat a rabbit a little over 1lb. If I go up to 2 lbs. They get gassy and have digestive problems.

I don't want to have to chop them up, so I buy the 1lb. bunnies. :)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat May 02, 2009 9:37 pm

Now that I'm getting a huge freezer tm., I plan on ordering some bulk stuff online.

I was considering hare-today, because I can also get tripe and a couple of other things along with the rabbits, but I also want a lot of mice and chicks for my cats, which are a better deal at rodentpro... soooo... I'm torn lol.

How do you like rodentpros quality?

Do you skin them before feeding? I plan to (I don't want the hair and mess everywhere)... and even watched a youtube video on how to do it lol, but ughhh... grosses me out.

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sat May 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Back before we had kids and still had money Em's was on TWO, then went down to BB, down to Iams, then Rachel Ray's Nutrish....now the poor thing is down to Agway Blue Seal :sad: Better than nothing I suppose

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 pm

WackyJacki wrote:
How do you like rodentpros quality?

Their animals are nice. The only thing I've bought from them and didn't like was the rats - just because they were stinky(smelled like rats) and the dogs thought I was out of my mind for trying to feed that to them lol

I've bought Rabbits, Pinkies and Quail from them - all good quality.

WackyJacki wrote:Do you skin them before feeding? I plan to (I don't want the hair and mess everywhere)... and even watched a youtube video on how to do it lol, but ughhh... grosses me out.

I do not skin them - I feed whole prey model, which means I take the body out of the freezer, let it thaw for a few hours and throw it down on the porch to be consumed (all while supervising). My dogs do not pull out the hair - they just start chewing at the head and end at the back feet . . . . like a slow meat grinder. lol

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat May 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Well, I don't plan on buying rats, so I'm not worried about that lol

I am trying to feed whole prey too, but I don't have a yard (I live in a townhouse), and I feed them on vinyl mats, so I wanted to try and keep the mess to a minimum, and I'm afraid the hair will be a disaster lol

Plus, at hare-today the assorted rabbits are $1.89/lb. I can't find a better price, even with shipping. And I need some tripe.

Hmmm... may have to go with them this time, then try rodentpro when I want to stock up on mice and chicks. :thumbsup:

This raw feeding stuff is fun lol

Return to “Health Issues”