Chin Acne!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jerseyrob
Newborn Bully

Chin Acne!

Postby jerseyrob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:16 am

Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find the "Search" function anywhere for this forum. Anyway, our 1.5 year old male has had some off and on issues with what I am assuming is some sort of acne on his chin. It seems that it gets worse during the spring/summer so it may be a seasonal thing. We first noticed it last year when the landscapers laid down a bunch of cedar mulch so we're thinking it may be related to that. It doesn't seem to bother him at all but when he rough houses with our other dogs it opens up and bleeds pretty badly. Any one else dealing with is? And is there some type of ointment we can use without going to the vet. Warren HATES the vet!! Thanks in advance. -Rob-

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:12 am

One thing you can do is buy some gentle pet wipes or baby wipes and clean his chin area regularly... after he eats, after he's been outside, after playing with toys, etc. If the sores open up it's probably ok to use a thin layer of OTC triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin or whatever).

Also, do you use plastic food and water bowls? When I switched Riley from plastic bowls to aluminum her chin acne went away completely. Plastic bowls can harbor bacteria no matter how well you clean them, which could contribute to chin breakouts. And there is some thought that certain dogs can be sensitive to the plastic itself.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:30 am

The forum search can be found near the top of your screen in a menu bar with Store, Logout, Profile, etc.

Both my dogs get acne seasonally, though as was mentioned, some dogs seem to also be sensitive to plastic bowls or toys. I've asked a couple of vets about it and the consensus seemed to be to just leave them alone to heal on their own, unless they open up at which point it was just a matter of keeping the area clean as you would with any minor wound.

Return to “Health Issues”