Kennel Cough

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Kennel Cough

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri May 01, 2009 12:16 am

OK so the last two weeks have been hell. I hope to god my bad luck is done SOON :frown:

So, early last week one of my dogs started favoring his left rear leg, and it was determined to be an injured knee. You can read about him here http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118470

Saturday, one of my females face swoll to the size of a bull terriers, and she had to have expensive surgery on Monday. You can read about her here http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118762

So in the last two weeks I have spent over $1000 at the vet, and I have two check-ups scheduled for next week (post surgery check up for one and two week checkup for the other to see if his knee is getting better or if we're looking at surgery :crybaby: ) Well tonight three of fou of my dogs are coughing. Yes they are all vaccinated for kennel cough. I am about 99.9% sure it is kennel cough. It is a hacking cough. One has fluid coming out of his nostrils when he coughs or sneezes.

Now I know kennel cough is a virus and has to 'run it's course', but my question is does anyone have any cheats to make them more comfortable?? I will call the vet in the morning and try to get at least one in for medicine (does it help??) even though I have a zero balance in my account, I'll figure something out.

I just feel like I am being bombarded, all at once. I know they say when it rains it pours, but this is ridiculous.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri May 01, 2009 8:42 am

Watch for thick green mucus, that's a sign to get them in to the vet.
They could have a Mucinex (or the generic thereof, from Walmart) or Mucinex with the cough suppressant in it, I think it's Mucinex-D.
They could have those like every 4-6hrs.
It seems to help.
If they are all drinking and eating fine, don't worry too much.
If any lose their appetite at any time, be sure to get them in to the vet at once.
Make sure they always have access to clean, fresh water in large bowls so they are drinking lots of water and moving the mucus.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Fri May 01, 2009 8:48 am

You don't need to go to the vet for KC unless the dog is already ill or really (IMO) old. Even then, I may make a judgment call.

Some thing you can do:

Keep everyone warm. That may mean sweaters and tons of blankie.

Warm steam. Like run your shower into a little bit of cold water in the bottom of the tub.

Good, fresh food. You can add vit. C, Salmon Oil to food. You can also boil up some meaty bones and make homemade broth. I like to feed foods with plenty of moisture and then what ever they want to eat is fine.

There is a chinese medicine called Ying Chiao that can be helpful but I can't remember the brand we buy off the top of my head. BUT it's something you can find at a Whole Foods Type place.

Make sure to wipe noses and maybe isolate water bowls to keep them from reinfecting each other.

Honestly, I treat the dogs exactly like I treat myself when I have the flu.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri May 01, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks guys! That helps a lot!

I am going to go to Walmart and get some mucinex-d and start them on that. I was up all night with them coughing. Trying to get them to drink lots of water and stay warm. They don't seem to really be effected by it (they want to run around and play). Koda does have some mucus coming out his nose, it's yellowish, and he sounds like a pig when he's breathing. I might take him in to make sure it's not turning to pneumonia. I have a call into the vets office and the vet is supposed to call when he gets in.

Sigh, the life with dogs. :frown: But I could never live without 'em lol

airwalk
Adolescent Bully

Postby airwalk » Fri May 01, 2009 11:21 am

Watch for extended lethargy. Just like us with colds, they will sometimes get tired...what you're watching for is that bone weary lethargy. If you see that, do get them to a vet.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri May 01, 2009 11:41 am

Thanks airwalk. None of them are lethargic. They wanna play and run, but I am keeping them calm and collected and resting. My moms chihuahua started coughing this morning. :frown: I have a feeling this is going to be a long weekend.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri May 01, 2009 11:41 am

Chop up the mucinex-d for the Chi :)

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri May 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Thanks MsVette. I was wondering how much to give the chi and am waiting on the vet to call back to make sure I get correct doses. The good part, we already have mucinex D at home from when my gradnma was sick with pneumonia so I can get them started ASAP.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 pm

That's good. I think 1/2 to 1/4 tab, depending on the size of the dog.
It is a relatively safe drug that actually just loosens the mucous making it easier to come out :)

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri May 01, 2009 12:09 pm

That's good stuff to know :thumbsup: I will dose them up now. Thanks again!

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Sun May 03, 2009 1:32 pm

We're still battleing it over here :po: All the dogs have one symtom or another, with the exception of Belle. She is still healthy thus far. My moms little longhair chihuahua started showing symptoms on Friday afternoon when I went home from work to doe all the dogs up. He already has a tough time breathing from time to time due to a pug type nose (BYB :frown: ). Anyways, he got the congestion part of it and was having a hard time breathing, to the point of his toungue and roof of mouth/lips turning purple. I took him into the vet, and they put him on some strong antibiotics to attack the upper respiratory problem with him. We have to keep a close eye on him so that we can take care of his attacks when they happen. Mostly when he gets excited or overexerted. Yeah, so, needless to say, it's a fun time over here right now!!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun May 03, 2009 1:51 pm

Egads-- usually the home dogs don't have issues - my dogs have been exposed enough to never get it.
Glad everyone's better...good luck with the little Chi :)

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Sun May 03, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks Msvette. I have never had to deal with it in this kind of numbers. Asolutely crazy. Usually, it is just the dog whos immune is down due to surgery or illness. But man, my perfectly healthy dogs have now gotten sick too (except Belle so far, knock on wood). It's absolutely nuts.

Return to “Health Issues”