What to use? Flea and Ticks

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

What to use? Flea and Ticks

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Tue May 05, 2009 12:04 am

I live in Dallas, Texas. I don't like the idea of putting chemicals on Taco, is there anything that could be said to make me feel more comfortable with this. Or any other options. I saw the thread where the FDA is investigating F&T treatments so now I am even more wary. I want him to be protected I just am unsure. Last time my anxiety towards preventative medicine almost cost me so I'll put it aside. I plan to use it only until the weather cools down since I have never seen a flea on Taco during fall or winter. For now I vacuum everyday, check him, and give baths.

I guess if I knew more about it I would feel more comfortable.

I read on another thread last summer Biospot works well, but I haven't known anyone to use it and That frontline works too but they are both being investigated.

KylieSmylie
Newborn Bully

Postby KylieSmylie » Wed May 06, 2009 11:34 pm

I use frontline for all my kids. I work at an animal hospital and it is one of the most recomended. I have had no problems with it. :)

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed May 06, 2009 11:48 pm

I would not feel comfortable with Biospot. It is pyrethrins, and pyrethrins & permethrins (permethrins is synthetic pyrethrins, which is an extract from chrysanthemums) cause a lot of allergic reactions. They are also poisonous in their own right. The newer meds like Frontline & Advantage (not Advantix, that contains pyrethrins) are based on chemicals that are not poisonous to mammals. Though of course, anything can cause an allergic reaction, which is I'm sure where some of the reports being investigated by the FDA come from. (the others probably come from the use of the pyrethrins/permethrins as spot-ons. Those chemicals were never sold as spot-ons until the success of the newer spot-on treatments, and I don't believe they are really safe in that dosage.)

I did use Advantage, but it wasn't working as well as I wanted anymore, so I switched to Frontline. At this point, that is working fine. Flea populations do tend to develop immunity to commonly used chemicals, but these products are effective enough to slow that process. They are typically very safe, because of not being poisonous to mammals.

If you want to try natural flea control instead, there are people who do so. My experience is that it isn't very effective, and I'd prefer to take the small risk of a reaction to a primarily benign chemical over the real health risks of having parasites. (unless a particular dog gives me reason to fear use of the products, of course). But it is entirely your choice.

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Thu May 07, 2009 2:50 pm

So frontline?

Is there a place to order that for cheap?

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu May 07, 2009 3:28 pm

I live in Dallas as well and I think you will find Frontline rather ineffective here. The fleas are largely immune to it in this area. As Sarah said, natural flea prevention techniques just don't work very well, especially in a hot place like TX. You can try things like garlic, apple cider vinegar and brewer's yeast. I don't like using chemicals anymore than anyone else does but unfortunately it is a must in this area, especially if you ever go out into the woods or hiking. Pyrethrins really seem to be the only really effective chemicals in this area. I use a product on the FDA investigation list called Zodiac and it has been working very well for me for 3 years now. I haven't had any problems with it regarding my dogs' health. I don't use full doses though. The 30-60lb dose is 2cc so a 40lb dog only really needs 1.33cc, not the full 2cc.

KylieSmylie
Newborn Bully

Postby KylieSmylie » Thu May 07, 2009 3:33 pm

alekz014 wrote:So frontline?

Is there a place to order that for cheap?
. Well it is over the counter so its easy to buy and you don't need a prescription. Well at least here in az you don't. I'm not sure of the cheapest. You may have to shop around.

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Thu May 07, 2009 6:01 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:I live in Dallas as well and I think you will find Frontline rather ineffective here. The fleas are largely immune to it in this area. As Sarah said, natural flea prevention techniques just don't work very well, especially in a hot place like TX. You can try things like garlic, apple cider vinegar and brewer's yeast. I don't like using chemicals anymore than anyone else does but unfortunately it is a must in this area, especially if you ever go out into the woods or hiking. Pyrethrins really seem to be the only really effective chemicals in this area. I use a product on the FDA investigation list called Zodiac and it has been working very well for me for 3 years now. I haven't had any problems with it regarding my dogs' health. I don't use full doses though. The 30-60lb dose is 2cc so a 40lb dog only really needs 1.33cc, not the full 2cc.

Taco is 65 lbs so should I just use a full dose of 30-60 lbs or buy the one up use however much? Where do you get Zodiac. Have you tried frontline and it failed or know of people?

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri May 08, 2009 1:25 pm

I have not used Frontline since moving back to Dallas. I had problems with it when I lived in OKC so I switched to K9Advantix, which worked well both in OKC and Dallas. Then I started researching and found that the main ingredient in K9Advantix is the same as Zodiac so I gave it a try and so far, so good. As far as Taco's weight goes, that's sort of a close call. You could probably get away with using the 30-60lb tube is my guess. If you bought the bigger one you'd only need ~2.2cc for 65lbs, not the whole 3cc that's in the tube. But it probably wouldn't hurt him to have all 3cc either. You can get Zodiac at Petsmart or Petco. Everyone here in the area that I know that uses Frontline still complains about fleas so that's reason enough for me to not bother with it.

titan
Newborn Bully

Postby titan » Fri May 08, 2009 3:45 pm

I am currently trying to find a natural flea and tick for my guys and to add to my dog supply site ( I want to take down the toxic chemical ones). One company I found and am interested in is Cedarcide. But as far as straight fleas there is a new pill out only from vets called Comfortis here is the site
http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat May 09, 2009 12:35 am

titan wrote: One company I found and am interested in is Cedarcide.

Cedarcide??? As in the aromatic oils from cedar trees? If so, you're probably better off using advantix, it has pyrethrin, an extract from the chrysanthemum plant. Hey, its natural... and at least its toxicity is well known and documented.

Cedar shavings are known to cause chronic irritation and illness in rodents, I don't want to know what concentrates would do, and without testing, I'd rather put a box of frontline on my dog than any so called "safe and natural" product made from hardwood aromatic oils.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sun May 10, 2009 10:23 pm

Actually, the pyrethrins in Advantix are synthetic versions of the natural pyrethrums from chrysanthenum buds. They do have some toxicity, but it's much more of an issue for fish and cats than for dogs or people.

Frontline's chemical is fipronil, which is relatively nontoxic.

Synthetic chemicals (and many natural chemicals) aren't ideal--they can potentially present some risks. But tick-borne diseases absolutely will cause harm, so if you live in a tick-prone area where your dogs can get infected by ticks, I think Frontline or Advantix are necessary, just as heartworm preventatives are necessary.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun May 10, 2009 11:20 pm

tiva wrote:Frontline's chemical is fipronil, which is relatively nontoxic.

Hence the reason I'd rather put a box of frontline on my dog than even a drop of concentrated aromatic oil of any kind. I've seen aromatic oil candles cause seizures in small dogs.

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Mon May 11, 2009 4:31 pm

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Mon May 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Link is to another thread about the investigation I was talking about.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Frontline is probably being investigated because it is the #1 flea and tick product on the market today and outcompetes its competitors by a vast majority of sales. It has made its way onto the list of the top 80% of reactions by being a top seller, not by being unsafe.

I personally consider fipronil (frontline) to be one of the safest products available, and they'd have to have some overwhelming evidence to convince me otherwise.

Return to “Health Issues”